Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

The Irish government paying Ide presume.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Surprised they didnt get CargoLux or other freighter companies to do it.Was reading that some freighter outfits had seen a decline in freight from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Surprised they didnt get CargoLux or other freighter companies to do it.Was reading that some freighter outfits had seen a decline in freight from China.

Because the Gov want Aer Lingus to be still in business in three months time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

pclive wrote: »

Yeah, how many Irish jobs would Aer Lingus support vs an outsider cargo airline. They have local employees a aircraft now doing nothing, might as well be put to use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

pclive wrote: »

This is not a dig at EI I also want to see them come through the other side of this situation we all find ourselves in, I was just wondering why in the mean time had they not started the ball rolling in shipping in the supplies.
    Getting the customs import/export paperwork in order have the FBO in place etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Technically I think the government should be putting these contracts out to tender but I guess they (rightly) bent the rules in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

easypazz wrote: »
    Technically I think the government should be putting these contracts out to tender but I guess they (rightly) bent the rules in this instance.

Why so that some other airline from a different country could make money while our own main airline heads towards cliff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There are no rules currently, so do what you need to do. It's green jersey time, no one else realistically is available.

Cargolux has 26 aircraft, all busy.

EI can muster a large fleet of A330's tomorrow, ok so not freight aircraft they have a huge hold and as has been shown the Chinese are happy to strap stuff down in the passenger seats. Austrian flew two flights yesterday in that config into Vienna.

The order was only placed fairly recently so EI will apparently start flying out to PEK as soon as there is something to collect and will keep flying until its all back home. Chinese government is in the loop so the paperwork is pointless if an edict is issued to permit EI (and multiple other EU flag carriers) to fly in to collect medical supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

How many stops will they have to make you think 1/2? I see the union signed off on it which is good, need people not afraid of bit of work. Good for IAG. What plane will they use 321? 330?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

easypazz wrote: »

In times of emergency, the State can do anything it pleases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Stobart seem to be using Kerry for storage; 4 ATRs already there, 1 E190 and another 190 inbound from Edinburgh

mikel97 wrote: »
    How many stops will they have to make you think 1/2? I see the union signed off on it which is good, need people not afraid of bit of work. Good for IAG. What plane will they use 321? 330?

A330-300 likely for maximum capacity, light but bulky cargo so weight shouldn't be an issue.

If EI pull the crew rest module out can get a 2 more containers in the hold, crew can use the business class cabin for rest which is a lot quieter than than the underfloor cave

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

This is not a dig at EI I also want to see them come through the other side of this situation we all find ourselves in, I was just wondering why in the mean time had they not started the ball rolling in shipping in the supplies.
    Getting the customs import/export paperwork in order have the FBO in place etc.

Sourcing the supplies (in the quantities needed), getting them made, packaged, delivered to PEK, and then ready to be loaded. PPE is like gold dust right now. EI could go sooner no doubt but they would have nothing to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭omega man

A330-300 likely for maximum capacity, light but bulky cargo so weight shouldn't be an issue.

If EI pull the crew rest module out can get a 2 more containers in the hold, crew can use the business class cabin for rest which is a lot quieter than than the underfloor cave

Business class seat rest will be used.

marno21 wrote: »
    Stobart seem to be using Kerry for storage; 4 ATRs already there, 1 E190 and another 190 inbound from Edinburgh

All bar two ATRs will be parked in Kerry.

Want to actually receive the goods...
    • Lets imagine you have to transit via a third country
    • Takes longer
    • Will they even let your stuff land
    • Will your stuff get 'requisitioned' by that country if things are dire (we might all be happy clappy Europeans but all bets are off today)
    • Direct shipping non stop with our 'flag carrier' ensures it gets home and its an awful lot easier for diplomatic negotiations if the Irish send an Irish aircraft in green with a Shamrock and tricolour out instead of relying on a third party.
    • Given the current surge in demand odds EI are asking for a lot less than the open market rate today as they want to stay afloat and any help now will be looked on with thanks if the begging bowl for support later is needed. Unclear how many flights could be needed but it a lot of flying and having EI ready to go when the call comes instead of having to wait around is priceless

To Ryanair's credit they are offering the entire fleet and crew to any EU state needing aircraft but 737's are limited in cargo and range vs A330 which can carry the weight of a 737 itself (well the -F model can) This operation requires volume over weight

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

• Lets imagine you have to transit via a third country
    • Takes longer
    • Will they even let your stuff land
    • Will your stuff get 'requisitioned' by that country if things are dire (we might all be happy clappy Europeans but all bets are off today)
    • Direct shipping non stop with our 'flag carrier' ensures it gets home and its an awful lot easier for diplomatic negotiations if the Irish send an Irish aircraft in green with a Shamrock and tricolour out instead of relying on a third party. Given the current surge in demand odds EI are asking for a lot less than the open market rate today as they want to stay afloat and any help now will be looked on with thanks if the begging bowl for support later is needed

That's my point...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Dublin

Los Angeles suspended from 20/03
    Miami suspended from 20/03
    Newark suspended from 18/03
    Seattle suspended from 19/03
    Washington Dulles suspended from 19/03

Services that have already been suspended are Hartford, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Orlando and Philadelphia.

Routes to continue at the current time are Boston, Chicago, New York JFK and San Francisco with varying frequencies which are subject to change.

Shannon

Boston suspended from 20/03
    New York JFK suspended from 18/03

Just quoting this message that was posted last week by Jack1985 to give it some visibility.
    5 TA route leave lots of spare A330 for a cargo bridge to China.
    The last 3 deliveries are all the 252T HGW model (or is it 242T?)

Last 6 are HGW 242T,
    2 are registered for a lower weight and no crew rest
    4 are registered for a full weight and crew rest (1 is in Brussels on fit out)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Does the weight registration actually matter at this point if the aircraft has the performance? I know there has been a fair bit of "what about x or y regulation" in this thread, but as we're clearly seeing the rules are going out the window at speed in response to the fairly urgent need across countries, even in the regulation obsessed EU, to create air bridges for stuff that likely usually travels at much lower quantities by air or by slowmo sea. As long as the fuel tanks will take her there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Does the weight registration actually matter at this point if the aircraft has the performance? I know there has been a fair bit of "what about x or y regulation" in this thread, but as we're clearly seeing the rules are going out the window at speed in response to the fairly urgent need across countries, even in the regulation obsessed EU, to create air bridges for stuff that likely usually travels at much lower quantities by air or by slowmo sea. As long as the fuel tanks will take her there...

Nobody wants an aircraft potentially crashing on take-off because it's overloaded. Severely doubt certifications would be waived

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Slightly off topic. Last week AL and RY announced they were putting staff on 50% pay from April. Wlll this 70% up to 38k gross allow the carriers to increase their pay offers or is it too early (and complicated) for a large company to operate?50% is relatively easy to implement.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Nobody wants an aircraft potentially crashing on take-off because it's overloaded. Severely doubt certifications would be waived

Not suggesting that. More thinking the nominal weight that affects MTOW - ie, many aircraft are down on paper for a lower weight, which lowers all sorts of fees they pay for ATC and airports, but can be upweighted again with some paperwork as required. Just suggesting that if it's the difference between one of the EI birds carrying a full belly or not so long as its within her actual engineered performance envelope, the weight restrictions might well be added to the "ignore for now" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

joeysoap wrote: »
    Slightly off topic. Last week AL and RY announced they were putting staff on 50% pay from April. Wlll this 70% up to 38k gross allow the carriers to increase their pay offers or is it too early (and complicated) for a large company to operate?50% is relatively easy to implement.

Could they potentially have everyone back full time, claiming only 50% subsidy from government & paying the other 50% themselves?

Obviously in the case of crew, there's nothing for them to do but there could be other areas they could be deployed

OU812 wrote: »
    Could they potentially have everyone back full time, claiming only 50% subsidy from government & paying the other 50% themselves?

Obviously in the case of crew, there's nothing for them to do but there could be other areas they could be deployed

The subsidy tops out at €410 per week, €21k net per year. I imagine they could bridge a lot of people’s wages with that but not pilots etc. But I think you have to be out of work to get it all or else it’s pro-rata per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

The subsidy tops out at €410 per week, €21k net per year. I imagine they could bridge a lot of people’s wages with that but not pilots etc. But I think you have to be out of work to get it all or else it’s pro-rata per day.

It’s hard to figure out how it works but significant that both EI and FR went down the 50% route (no pun intended). Here’s hoping that the support makes a difference to those who need it most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They could police social distancing in Shamrock House :P

It’s hard to figure out how it works but significant that both EI and FR went down the 50% route (no pun intended). Here’s hoping that the support makes a difference to those who need it most.

It’s about workforce stickiness. Airlines need to train and certify and get security clearance for a great majority of their workforce. You simply cannot scale the business back up if you do as a pub might and send everyone packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I think that you gave to be employed to get it. Not necessarily working all the time, but employed just the same. In short, not let go, kept on the books for the upturn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The A330 fleet is gonna be very busy next week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement