Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Yes serious medical supply airlift from Peking into Dublin , nice work and fair play to EI could be 50 flights ,upto 7 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

A319er wrote: »
    Yes serious medical supply airlift from Peking into Dublin , nice work and fair play to EI could be 50 flights ,upto 7 a day.

So that is the A330 pilots flat out for the foreseeable future, I like to think that this will encourage their A320 pilots to train up to A330 type for any future outbreaks like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

kub wrote: »
    So that is the A330 pilots flat out for the foreseeable future, I like to think that this will encourage their A320 pilots to train up to A330 type for any future outbreaks like this.

Well presumably a glut would just create rostering difficulties as they all need to keep their hours up.

6 or 7 trips per day is still lower than the regular summer US schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Well presumably a glut would just create rostering difficulties as they all need to keep their hours up.

Longer flight times than much of the TATL schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

L1011 wrote: »
    Longer flight times than much of the TATL schedule

That maybe true but the TA schedule has been severly reduced for May too. Together with the severity of reductions all operating crew will see reduced hours versus 2019. Temporarily hours over the next 2-3 weeks may increase.

It would make no sense to do that (timescale invovled, location of training in Europe and unpredictibility of outbreaks). They can't hold dual ratings and they would be required on the 320 fleet once the schedule would return to normal operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Nijmegen wrote: »

I think they’re planning 5 TAs (JFK, BOS, ORD, SFO and YYZ) and 2 LHRs a day on 330 in April, plus up to 5 PEKs a day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lufthansa A330 returning from Shanghai with medical supplies in seats and overhead bins. Have to assume that EI will be doing the same.

https://twitter.com/lufthansaNews/status/1242801130385690625

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Lufthansa A330 returning from Shanghai with medical supplies in seats and overhead bins. Have to assume that EI will be doing the same.

https://twitter.com/lufthansaNews/status/1242801130385690625

Confirmed that they will be. Rotating out an extra pilot and engineers and prohibited from leaving the aircraft when there starting Saturday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Active cases of Covid-19 are under currently 5000 in China. (This is expected to rise once lockdown is relaxed) They are in a great position to help the rest of the a World deal with their own outbreak.
    I doubt Trumps USA will highlight any aid received from China

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

What a real shame AerCap retired EWR,

Surely, AerCap could have sold the aircraft to EI at a very reasonable price!

In hindsight, it would be practical to have it (EWR) for cargo flights to China, well in it's range.

• Advertisement

I don’t think EI will have many worries over availability of airframes over the next 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

The a330 should be able to do the flight direct no bother heading out. I'd assume they might need a stop on the way back maybe depending on the load being carried but that could depend on winds etc too

It’s 1nm closer than LAX on a great circle track. The cargo is bulky but light apparently. There won’t be any issues with performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I like to think that this will encourage their A320 pilots to train up to A330 type for any future outbreaks like this.

Not really the pilots decision to want to train on the 330!

2 Cpt
    2 FO
    1 Relief Cpt
    1 Load master
    2 Engineers

Per Flight

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

2 Cpt
    2 FO
    1 Relief Cpt
    1 Load master
    2 Engineers

Per Flight

And a ten hour flight out, 4-6 hours waiting around on the ground to load the cargo then the same crew take the plane home on an 11-12 hour flight, 28 hour shift straight for the staff, all volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Load masters? When did we get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

Are you sure the staff on these flights are volunteers?

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

MugMugs wrote: »
    Confirmed that they will be. Rotating out an extra pilot and engineers and prohibited from leaving the aircraft when there starting Saturday.

Are they prohibited from leaving the aircraft for visa reasons or Covid19? I'm just imagining that after that length of flight a stretch of the legs and some fresh air would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Are they prohibited from leaving the aircraft for visa reasons or Covid19? I'm just imagining that after that length of flight a stretch of the legs and some fresh air would be welcome.

Of course they will be allowed leave the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

5 pilots so plenty of cover and rest

Load masters are hard to come by, probably looking at some experienced ground handlers/dispatchers to ensure everything is secure and the load and balance is correct.

Back in Dublin I imagine anything which is not bolted to the aircraft is coming out, all the magazines, all the catering trolleys, ovens (yes they pop out) get the weight down

Hope someone has had a chat with the Russians to ensure there is no issue with overflights (Aer Lingus was a key partner with Aeroflot in the 1980's so assume someone remembers...)

Cheat sheet with the m to FL conversion table someone should be laminating them and adding to the cockpit

Crews from other airlines have been photographed on the apron so thats cool, walk around etc. Just don't leave the parking bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭blackwhite

5 pilots so plenty of cover and rest

Load masters are hard to come by, probably looking at some experienced ground handlers/dispatchers to ensure everything is secure and the load and balance is correct.

Back in Dublin I imagine anything which is not bolted to the aircraft is coming out, all the magazines, all the catering trolleys, ovens (yes they pop out) get the weight down

Hope someone has had a chat with the Russians to ensure there is no issue with overflights (Aer Lingus was a key partner with Aeroflot in the 1980's so assume someone remembers...)

Cheat sheet with the m to FL conversion table someone should be laminating them and adding to the cockpit

Crews from other airlines have been photographed on the apron so thats cool, walk around etc. Just don't leave the parking bay.

I'm guessing they'll need to keep one oven in the business class galley to feed themselves, given it's a 28hr shift expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alarmcode

2 Cpt
    2 FO
    1 Relief Cpt
    1 Load master
    2 Engineers

Per Flight

plenty of lolly for the engineers. Just like the days of the "barrier" shifts in SRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

alarmcode wrote: »
    plenty of lolly for the engineers. Just like the days of the "barrier" shifts in SRT.

Dont think they will be going to kealys after the 13th hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

For EI pilots who fly to NA every shift, I imagine there is a bit of a clamour to crew these flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭omega man

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    For EI pilots who fly to NA every shift, I imagine there is a bit of a clamour to crew these flights?

Not particularly but with the ever reducing TA schedule it’s well covered.

I hear that the 321 NEO's will be on the TA routes a lot more during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

kona wrote: »
    Of course they will be allowed leave the aircraft.

Being reported that if they wish to leave the aircraft, they'll be quarantined?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

They won't be operating TA services due to limited belly weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Not confirmed as yet but logic would dictate that the NEOs would fill the East coast gap given the reduced pax numbers.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    Being reported that if they wish to leave the aircraft, they'll be quarantined?
    China currently has an enforced quarantine on ALL arrivals. So stopping over IS NOT an option.

But if they are airside I doubt they will be stopped going outside the aircraft for a bit of fresh air. After all they still gave to conduct refuelling and Pre departure walkaround.

Lets not put too much heed in a badly written article in the Irish Mirror.

Regarding the A321LRs, we have already seen a few East Coast being operating by the smaller aircraft. I highly doubt EI will have much "set in stone" over the next 6-8 weeks.
    They will mix and match A333/332/321LR dependant on daily operational requirements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement