Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I don’t think anyone is disputing that. I took it that he was talking about the pilots agreeing to 26 hour flight duties where they don’t leave the aircraft.
    True enough.

Im sure EI will be oversubscribed with flight crew volunteering to operate this cargo bridge. I know that a couple of cabin crew mates volunteered but the operation doesnt require them.

But regardless of having a bunk or seats in J Class it is a pretty arduous trip.
    While the "return crew" will be expected to rest on the DUB-PEK sector Im sure they will be less than ready to snooze at the drop of a hat.
    Similarly the DUB-PEK crew will “get a rest” on the way back but will be still be in tuned into the situation enroute.
    Im expecting it will take a few extra days to recover than a regular 24 hour overlay doing DUB-LAX-DUB.

So kudos to the staff on this operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Tenger wrote: »
    But regardless of having a bunk or seats in J Class it is a pretty arduous trip.
    While the "return crew" will be expected to rest on the DUB-PEK sector Im sure they will be less than ready to snooze at the drop of a hat.
    Similarly the DUB-PEK will get a rest on the way back but will be in tune with the situation enroute.
    Im expecting it will take a few extra days to recover than a regular 24 hour overlay doing DUB-LAX-DUB.

It's a very tough flight for jet lag. If you get it right, you're out of sorts for a few days but if it doesn't work, you're not right for a week. And that's as a J passenger not working on the journey.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EI2108 leaving at 08:20 tomorrow according to Twitter

https://twitter.com/michaelkelly707/status/1243688080369999873

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Why am I seeing this word "volunteer" appear here regarding these flights? They are being paid well for operating the flights. It's amongst the only flying they can do at the moment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Why am I seeing this word "volunteer" appear here regarding these flights? They are being paid well for operating the flights. It's amongst the only flying they can do at the moment.

Because these flights are well outside of contracted or EASA work limits.
    Thus any staff member (while still being paid) would have to be a volunteer.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Because these flights are well outside of contracted or EASA work limits.
    Thus any staff member (while still being paid) would have to be a volunteer.

Outside Union agreements you mean?

I also find it hard to believe this would breach EASA FTL's. Any duty has to be legal surely.

Its a temporary thing anyway. Not like it'll be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I also find it hard to believe this would breach EASA FTL's. Any duty has to be legal surely.

Can you imagine going from Dublin to Beijing and back, effectively in one day, as a passenger? Can you imagine how physically demanding that would be on you?

Now imagine that for at least half of that time you are going to be working in a very demanding environment, well outside the 'comfort zone' of your normal job.

The crew will have the use of the business class seats to rest, EASA considers this a Class 1 rest area so they can extend FTL's accordingly. I believe the fact that the flights are non commercial, being considered Humanitarian Aid, also has the effect of extending the FTL's.

They are not voluntary in the sense that the crews are being paid, albeit 50% of normal salary, but the crews are voluntarily working way beyond their normal working conditions in order to bring vital supplies to our country and to keep the company alive.

And yes they did have a choice, pilots could opt out of the operation but there was an overwhelmingly positive response to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

They are rostered for it, not volunteering. They will get three days off when they get home, because it is outside normal parameters. Some volunteered anyway, as it happens but the rostering is covering the flights so far. Not all of them are rostered, not all are volunteering.

marno21 wrote: »
    EI2108 leaving at 08:20 tomorrow according to Twitter

https://twitter.com/michaelkelly707/status/1243688080369999873

Despite two bites at the apple to appear to be in the “know” he still hasn’t got the call sign right. It is Shamrock 9018. 8 is a lucky number in China.

Also it has been planned to depart at 1020L for the last week. I’ve no idea where he gets his information but he would want to get a more reliable/accurate source.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

What seems to be getting lost is the fact that this has all been put in place so fast...where there’s a will and all that.

A huge amount of work behind the scenes I’m sure. Credit where it’s due!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FlyLo

Despite two bites at the apple to appear to be in the “know” he still hasn’t got the call sign right. It is Shamrock 9018. 8 is a lucky number in China.

EI-EIM scheduled to dep at 1020 UTC

FlyLo wrote: »
    EI-EIM scheduled to dep at 1020 UTC

Yeah I looked back at my info to see if it mentioned the callsigns for the other flights and saw the time was wrong as well.

Can you imagine going from Dublin to Beijing and back, effectively in one day, as a passenger? Can you imagine how physically demanding that would be on you?

Now imagine that for at least half of that time you are going to be working in a very demanding environment, well outside the 'comfort zone' of your normal job.

The crew will have the use of the business class seats to rest, EASA considers this a Class 1 rest area so they can extend FTL's accordingly. I believe the fact that the flights are non commercial, being considered Humanitarian Aid, also has the effect of extending the FTL's.

They are not voluntary in the sense that the crews are being paid, albeit 50% of normal salary, but the crews are voluntarily working way beyond their normal working conditions in order to bring vital supplies to our country and to keep the company alive.

And yes they did have a choice, pilots could opt out of the operation but there was an overwhelmingly positive response to it.

50% plus all the extras that come with operating the flight.
    Of course its physically and mentally demanding. Its pretty much a 1 or 2 time thing in extraordinary circumstances. I'm sure the thousands of pilots that have been sacked in recent days/weeks around the globe would be more than happy to operate these flights. Look around you.

Anyway enough about that. What's important is that these vital supplies reach Ireland without delay and I'm confident they'll be able to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

What frequency will these flights be going at? E.g are there several each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    What frequency will these flights be going at? E.g are there several each day?

Up to 5 a day from Tuesday.

Eventually by Thursday 0820...1120...1420...1720...2020 local everyday. By then hopefully they will have turn arounds down to less than 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Strange they are sending EI-EAV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

How many pilots heading over with it been a turnaround flight where I read they can’t leave the plane in China

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Ei-EAV is first up for EI9018

Nice to see someone in EI remembers the old freight only codes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

We operate ultra long range flights, circa 17 hours, the crews generally swap every 4 hours with the proviso that the crew who are going to do the landing will be in their seats for 2 hours before landing.

This is much easier than deadheading on sector one and operating sector two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

See Are lingus getting ready for the Beijing flight. God speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Strange they are sending EI-EAV

Yeah noticed that too, thought they would at least send GAJ, GCF, EIM and the 332s GEY, DUO, DAA.

LAX still in BOD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭omega man

Operating under EASA NCC, Non Commercial complex aircraft and EU ops subpart Q FTLs with relevant exemptions. All necessary agreements and approvals in place of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

ATC audio of the flight departing: https://t.co/dIe5Y0dYUH?amp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

Well done Aer Lingus and everyone involved in the background. The whole country is behind you.

Safe trip.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

d51984 wrote: »
    Well done Aer Lingus and everyone involved in the background. The whole country is behind you.

Safe trip.

Its just a flight to China? Its not Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Well I’d say yes, the whole country is behind them, we will all likely know someone who may come to need the vital equipment they’re going to get for us. And the staff onboard are as mentioned going above and beyond to do this.
    Matthew McConaughey on the other hand, is only a Hollywood actor...

This is exactly what I keep thinking!

I’m wondering also why Aer Lingus continue to run a significant amount of flights relative to other airlines? Currently 5 EI aircraft en-route to North America despite the travel bans and a decent amount of euro trips too. I also saw yesterday that at least one of the EI UK flights operated with zero passengers over and zero passengers back. I mean what a waste haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,703 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is exactly what I keep thinking!

I’m wondering also why Aer Lingus continue to run a significant amount of flights relative to other airlines? Currently 5 EI aircraft en-route to North America despite the travel bans and a decent amount of euro trips too. I also saw yesterday that at least one of the EI UK flights operated with zero passengers over and zero passengers back. I mean what a waste haha.

Cargo in the belly is the main reason surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Flights do carry freight as well.

China is a big deal, to establish overflight rights for Russia at short notice is a huge deal, to get approval from the Chinese government etc. These are things which normally take years to sort out.

EI back in the 1970's did all kinds of crazy flights when it was leasing aircraft out, so not strictly the first time an EI aircraft has been to Asia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement