Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Cargo in the belly is the main reason surely?

RTE showed a clip the other night of Delta loading 13 tonnes of pharma for the US.

Cargo will keep the aviation industry on life support for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

On the UK flight example though it is a route that is usually operated by an ATR so I doubt much freight is carried normally. However due to union agreements they’ve had to change it to a mainline Airbus to protect EI jobs over Stobart. That’s my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,703 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

IngazZagni wrote: »
    On the UK flight example though it is a route that is usually operated by an ATR so I doubt much freight is carried normally. However due to union agreements they’ve had to change it to a mainline Airbus to protect EI jobs over Stobart. That’s my understanding anyway.

I hardly think the airline flew an aircraft back and forth empty for no reason.

There had to be freight to be carried.

Just because there isn’t normally freight doesn’t mean there won’t be now.

These are extraordinary times.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I hardly think the airline flew an aircraft back and forth empty for no reason.

There had to be freight to be carried.

Just because there isn’t normally freight doesn’t mean there won’t be now.

These are extraordinary times.

Well they had passengers that booked tickets on both. Think in the region of 50 each way but no one showed up. The no show rate must be well over 90% at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

EI back in the 1970's did all kinds of crazy flights when it was leasing aircraft out, so not strictly the first time an EI aircraft has been to Asia.

They fly to Izmir most years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Well they had passengers that booked tickets on both. Think in the region of 50 each way but no one showed up. The no show rate must be well over 90% at the moment.

And how do you propose they predict if 50 booked pax don’t show up?

imonboard wrote: »
    I think you will find it is voluntary, the engineers are now on a 20 hour working week. They will work their normal 20 hour duties and then do a 25 or so hour flight for free, some are doing 2 flights a week, so one flight will be completely voluntary.

Sure, good for them. However I think for all the engineers in Ireland that have been laid off in the last week, they’d be delighted to be in a position of still having a job and be on these flights. I’d extend it to say I’d be shocked if any staff member refused to operate these flights due to the lack of financial reward considering the circumstances the airline and more importantly the Country finds itself in.
    Locker10a wrote: »
    And how do you propose they predict if 50 booked pax don’t show up?

They’d have the data now to show that at best they will get high single digits showing up. The frequency should be cut to the absolute minimum for essential travel/cargo requirements. I was just surprised at the high frequency some former ATR routes are currently being maintained at. Don’t get me wrong though, this is an extremely minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

IngazZagni wrote:

Tbf, if they don't expect people to fly ATM, theyre idiot's. Not even cancelling flight so that people can't get proper compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ozzy jr wrote: »
    They fly to Izmir most years.

They also flew to Dubai back in 2006.

They're not new to Asia, east Asia perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

EIN9018 enroute to PEK for PPE etc.

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244976fb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Sure, good for them. However I think for all the engineers in Ireland that have been laid off in the last week, they’d be delighted to be in a position of still having a job and be on these flights. I’d extend it to say I’d be shocked if any staff member refused to operate these flights due to the lack of financial reward considering the circumstances the airline and more importantly the Country finds itself in.

They’d have the data now to show that at best they will get high single digits showing up. The frequency should be cut to the absolute minimum for essential travel/cargo requirements. I was just surprised at the high frequency some former ATR routes are currently being maintained at. Don’t get me wrong though, this is an extremely minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

It is being cut to an absolute minimum, gradually but surely, I know of people stranded abroad, took them days to get home, they eventually got to Lisbon and on to an Aer Lingus flight back to Dublin this morning, they were among only 7 passengers, but those 7 passengers were truly appreciative the flight operated and got them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

You have access to the loads? You working for AL?

joeysoap wrote: »
    You have access to the loads? You working for AL?

Nope but I work in the industry. All I'll say is be careful what you post on WhatsApp groups folks. It's not secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’d be shocked if any staff member refused to operate these flights due to the lack of financial reward considering the circumstances the airline and more importantly the Country finds itself in.

For obvious reasons I won’t give any detail here as to how or who I know, (mods feel free to PM and I’ll give more detail if you like) but there hasn’t been a very good take up on these flights.

One person I spoke to today was asked to fly out and politely said no thanks, it’s a 30hr shift and he says isn’t worth it. Now whether that’s to do with money or not I don’t know but EI are struggling to get the numbers to operate the flights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Cleared to land 36L at PEK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

have to say a thank you to the guys and girls for making this happen
    a million thanks for them from everyone in Ireland
    507403.PNG

Regards

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Are the crew really not allowed off the aircraft at all, I thought they would need to do the walk around, oil top up, oversee the loading etc

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

kona wrote: »
    Nobody is doing a 30 hour shift for free.

Thats great to hear kona. I hope they get double time and the rest!

I was just hoping that these heroes were not being taken advantage of.

It would be a shame to do all those modules, 5 years experience, type ratings, approval boards, learn the MOE, continuation training, EWIS,HF,CDCCL, night shifts , bank holidays etc to actually get to use your skills to help the state in its time of greatest need and to be taken the piss out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Thats great to hear kona. I hope they get double time and the rest!

I was just hoping that these heroes were not being taken advantage of.

It would be a shame to do all those modules, 5 years experience, type ratings, approval boards, learn the MOE, continuation training, EWIS,HF,CDCCL, night shifts , bank holidays etc to actually get to use your skills to help the state in its time of greatest need and to be taken the piss out of.

Sure look at least they get to keep the capes this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drop the wages/status/etc discussion here

• Advertisement

Someone with a serious axe to grind!

But if you are an employee of EI why are you coming to an anonymous forum to peddle your agenda?

You will not get any answers here.

who is an employee?

Well at least we know the point the wheel came off this particular wagon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

This is a chat forum, not Facebook.
    If you want details on the cost to the state, monetary reward to the staff, or profit margin for Aer Lingus you can contact Aer Lingus or Dept of Foreign Affairs. If you have an axe to grind do it with them, not on this forum.
    Boards.ie will not allow continued trolling for info on the payments towards the employees of a private company providing a service to the country at the request of the Govt.

Your “pestering” levels of posting today implies more than a casual interest. At least 3 times you asked about engineers not being paid, when it was yourself who introduced the topic.
    As posted above, no-one is assuming the staff are working for free, rather that they are ‘volunteering’ to be rostered these particular flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Thats not an Aer Lingus aircraft,

Pic in circulation of a loaded up AL aircraft in Beijing.

that's lufthansa chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They would be fast workers if it was Aerlingus as not too long on the ground in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Thats not an Aer Lingus aircraft,

Was thinking the same until I saw buster browne down the back.

easypazz wrote: »
    Was thinking the same until I saw buster browne down the back.

I actually did a double take. Thought the lad in the back left of photo in black was one of the lads who was dipping the tanks for kerosene and I thought to myself , how did he get back in .

The crane on the head rests was the lufty giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SAM SO NITE - stop posting in this thread. You have repeatedly ignored instructions to stop discussing work practices. You will be banned immediately if you post again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

For obvious reasons I won’t give any detail here as to how or who I know, (mods feel free to PM and I’ll give more detail if you like) but there hasn’t been a very good take up on these flights.

One person I spoke to today was asked to fly out and politely said no thanks, it’s a 30hr shift and he says isn’t worth it. Now whether that’s to do with money or not I don’t know but EI are struggling to get the numbers to operate the flights

Any Aerlingus pilot who would refuse such a mission without very good reason is a disgrace in my opinion.
    Its a critical task bringing supplies to front line workers. They should be lining up to do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement