Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Important question: Vueling seats or Aer Lingus seats?:eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

It's a real shame about the A350's if it is true. Does stovepipe have a source? If not how does he know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Think the A350's will go to EI, the others are not short of them or options in fact. I suspect the A330 comment could be all A332 been replaced by new A333's.

Fact is a lot more than 4 new A330 would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lockheed

It makes a lot of sense for EI to have the A350s, they can fill them, they can use the range, they need to replace old aircraft, pilots need little to no retraining etc.
    It seems like a very flawed decision to cancel them all/send them to Iberia or BA, so I'll wait for more confirmations

Last I heard was 2x333's 2016/17/18/19 and possibly 2020, with A350's still coming in 2018 replacing older 330's. An additional 757 in 2017 and possibly 2018. IAG want to see hard proposal from Boeing on 757 replacement before deciding on 321NEOLR.

At this point I wouldn't believe anything till I see it painted in green in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

IAG want to see hard proposal from Boeing on 757 replacement before deciding on 321NEOLR.

Isn't the replacement for the 757 the 737-900er?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Lockheed

For what EI use their 757s for, no. It wouldn't logically work. the A321neoLR is a lot more feasible

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    It's a real shame about the A350's if it is true. Does stovepipe have a source? If not how does he know?
    Stovepipe is in the industry and he knows his stuff. He has given reliable info in the past. If he doesn't give a source then it is not public at this time. Airlines (and companies in general) make decisions but may not make them public until "the time is right"
    On course on a personal level I hope he is mistaken this time.
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Think the A350's will go to EI, the others are not short of them or options in fact. ....
    Currently IB have 16 on order, with 18 for BA. The EI 9 make up the IAG total of 43 noted in the 2015 results.
    Capital expenditure authorised and contracted for amounted to €16,091 million (2014: €11,604 million) for the Group. The majority of this is in US dollars and includes commitments until 2022 for 118 aircraft from the Airbus A320 family, 29 Boeing 787s, 43 Airbus A350s, 14 Airbus A330s and 2 Airbus A380s.

No Boeing are working on a direct 757 replacement. This came from a source within a major US airline.

No Boeing are working on a direct 757 replacement. This came from a source within a major US airline.

Last I heard the 737-900 was Boeing's replacement.

What market is there for a direct replacement? The VAST majority of current and ex 757 routes are amply replaced using the regular 737-900 and A321. Theres only an handful of routes (most Transatlantic) that require the extra range which the A321NEO LR is catering for, with a rather low model cost as its only a minor change to the A321 NEO.

The above knowledge I have gained from several online extracts on the matter.

• Advertisement

-900 falls short of the 757 capabilities from what I'm told and it's mostly the under the floor abilities that just don't even get close. So Boeing have decided to have a look at a direct replacement.

Going back to the A350 topic; can I confirm that 9 A350's are not coming but 4 and just 4 A330's are ?

There's a lot of confusion surrounding these aircraft. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The -900 is a pig performance wise which also removes some 757 roles from its scope. Runway usage is terrible

Going back to the A350 topic; can I confirm that 9 A350's are not coming but 4 and just 4 A330's are ?

There's a lot of confusion surrounding these aircraft. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens.
    Going by the last official confirmation (IAG capital markets presentation last year) EI are still expected to take delivery of 9 in total, starting in 2018. EI had pre-IAG takeover confirmed that they would be a mix of full range and Regional versions.*

As of today (that I can see online anyway) no official info has been forthcoming regarding a change to this plan. Of course with IAG poring over every part of EI over the last few months some capital projects/long term planning will change. Fleet expansion/renewal is always going to be a focus.

ie. my EI source was informed by mgmt that from this year EI new deliveries will have the same A330 Y Class seats as IB. Such a move is to be expected.

Similarly, EI on their own, had to choose A350 or A330neo (<14 was pretty small for a split fleet)....under the umbrella of IAG the planned renewal order could be altered to 4 A350/8 A330neo....or any other variation.

*of course we have very little chance of knowing what may be announced over the next 2-6 months by IAG. Somebody somewhere will know but us plebs have to wait for official confirmation.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Last I heard the 737-900 was Boeing's replacement. ....
    Going a little off topic here, but heres some info from wikipedia (The A.net thread is far too unwieldy to link)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_757#Replacement_aircraft

In 2014, Airbus launched the Airbus A321neoLR,............Boeing officials have declined to respond directly to Airbus' decision to launch the A321neoLR, and have dismissed its rival's projections of demand for 1,000 aircraft; instead, the company now considers the space between the 737 MAX 9 and the 787-8 to be a niche,.......... Whether the 757 replacement market is commercially viable has been debated by aviation industry analysts, with some skeptics pointing to the fact that over 150 aircraft, or approximately 15 percent of the worldwide 757 fleet, are currently unused and parked in desert storage.

In early 2015, Boeing disclosed that it was conducting studies for a long-haul 757 successor aimed at transatlantic routes too long for the A321neoLR and 737 MAX 9. Such an aircraft would carry more passengers than the 737 MAX and have more range than the 757. A parallel development along with the 737 replacement, similar to when the 757 and 767 were developed in the 1970s, is under consideration. As of February 2015, Boeing has not committed to a replacement (which would be available after the 777X), but is polling customers such as United Airlines on how to fill the gap between the 737 MAX 9 and the 787. Boeing calls the successor airliner "MOM" for Middle of Market. The airplane could likely seat 220 passengers and be sized between the 737 and 787-8 Dreamliner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Tenger wrote: »
    I can see EI using Pier A again soon. Pier B is full every morning. The 3 new routes will block off stands on pier E after the first wave departures.
    Thats a bit pants.
    Source is IAG FY2015 results I assume? Have the PDF on my PC but had a few long days so unable to get tge chance to sit and have look at it properly.

EI will be needing more than 4x A330. The 9 A350 were planned three per year 2018-2020.

A rumour I heard recently was Etihad to T1 along with EI Regional. It was from a fairly reliable source, but still a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Looking through the IAG fleet standardisation document, the A350 will be the same spec throughout IAG so they can pretty much put them where they want within the group, A330 looks like it will be the same layout as the current AL330 and will again this will be standard spec across the fleet, looks like some changes in the A320 cabin to become standard across the fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Avada wrote: »
    A rumour I heard recently was Etihad to T1 along with EI Regional. It was from a fairly reliable source, but still a bit strange.

EIR do not bus any passengers from T2 anymore. EY moving to T1 will not do anything in terms of stand space and they will not go I suspect. EK wouldn't go.

Just some info in the indo today (obviously they read the IAG report a lot better than me...I was looking for references to A350!!!)
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/iags-valuation-puts-a-tag-of-110m-on-the-aer-lingus-brand-34491582.html
    EI brand identity valued at Eur110m
    EI slots valued at Eur172m
    EI property, plant and machinery valued at Eur721m

I assume fleet is included in "plant"?

A350's are going to Iberia apparently but EI may be keeping 3 A350-900 regionals as they will have a 3 class cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

A350's are going to Iberia apparently but EI may be keeping 3 A350-900 regionals as they will have a 3 class cabin.

Iv just herd the opposite elsewhere, that they are coming to ei. But I would asume that you are better placed to have the low down. It's a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

IAG want to see hard proposal from Boeing on 757 replacement before deciding on 321NEOLR.

At this point I wouldn't believe anything till I see it painted in green in Dublin.
    Surly a 757 replacement from Boeing would take at least 10 years to enter service, sure the 757s won't last that long ! And if the 757 is as great as it seems for the likes of Ireland-US flights then surly they will want an efficient replacement asap ?

Lockheed wrote: »
    For what EI use their 757s for, no. It wouldn't logically work. the A321neoLR is a lot more feasible

I wasn't thinking from an Aer Lingus perspective though, more from Boeing, as in the 737-900er is their replacement option for the 757.

I would agree that for Aer Lingus, and what they use the 757 for, the A321neoLR would be the better option.

As mentioned though, a direct replacement (if currently even on the drawing board) would be at least 10 years away from commercial flight, whereas the 737 family have a history of experience, with the airframe already in place.

I would have thought that between the 737-900er & the 787, they would have been the natural replacement for the 757, making it almost pointless developing an entirely new aircraft from scratch to replace an older aircraft that's effectively already been replaced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

To few airframes to have both Airbus and Boeing. It negates the whole point of ccq and will inevitably increase the cost base.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

On EI's Instagram, they have a pic of the 4th 757 in EI colours

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    On EI's Instagram, they have a pic of the 4th 757 in EI colours

Looks just like the others, except shinier!!!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BDJks-Nqsxb/?taken-by=aerlingus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

My wife has booked her annual trip to the States, business class. The seating plan is ,2,1,2,1. Does this sound right? Its on a 757.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

roundymac wrote: »
    My wife has booked her annual trip to the States, business class. The seating plan is ,2,1,2,1. Does this sound right? Its on a 757.

Yep, they are being refitted with the same type of business class seating as the A330.

B752 business class:

2euohkz.jpg

rbbkwo.jpg

roundymac wrote: »

Last time I checked it was 2,2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Last time I checked it was 2,2.

It's 2,1 on the new 757 business class

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement