Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »
    Out of interest, what do EI tend to do in this situation ? Is their first port of call to draft in a sub aircraft from the likes of Titan or Hifly ? Or would it be to rebook as many passengers as possible on partner airlines? e.g. Via LHR on BA, or on other EI flights?

Is it true punters were on board when flight cancelled ????
    Ive no idea, but this would be common with tech issues which are often noticed during checks during boarding. Most tech issues are sorted out with help from engineers after a short delay on the ground, however if it can't be sorted out then a flight may have to be cancelled, and this may well happen after boarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Yes.the 109,not the Orlando one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Has happened to me before on EI-LAX

Board - An hour of engineering - Push back - taxi - return to stand - two more hours of engineering - Captain announces aircraft is unserviceable and everyone off

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Has happened to me before on EI-LAX

Board - An hour of engineering - Push back - taxi - return to stand - two more hours of engineering - Captain announces aircraft is unserviceable and everyone off

Unfortunately it happens but safety first etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Is this the same reason ei137 was cancelled Monday?

Going myself Saturday so hoping things are back to normal!

PaulKK wrote: »
    Is this the same reason ei137 was cancelled Monday?

Going myself Saturday so hoping things are back to normal!

No,different aircraft different problem.should be back to normal now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Thanks, good too know! Only booked the flight Tues and there were 3 seats left on the way out and 6 coming home so looks like loads are high.

Easy to imagine chaos with a cancellation!

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Dreamliner XWB

Are any of the EI fleet set to be retired soon? I think some of them 320's should go. Just out of curiosity, when will the first 350's be delivered?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

How long more are the 42s EI-EHH and EI-CBK staying around for? Both turn 27 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Are any of the EI fleet set to be retired soon? I think some of them 320's should go. Just out of curiosity, when will the first 350's be delivered?

As far as I can gather, EI won't now be getting any A350s as originally planned, they're going to be getting new A330s instead.

marno21 wrote: »
    How long more are the 42s EI-EHH and EI-CBK staying around for? Both turn 27 this year.

Stobart are probably only holding on to them for KIR and CFN, but I could be wrong, hopefully they will just upgrade those flights to the -72.

I'd imagine any short haul fleet replacements will come from an IAG group order where relevant aircraft are distributed to who need them within the group etc. But who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Aer Lingus doesn't tend to replace aircraft purely on an age basis but on a number of factors which include age, operational cost, lease renewals and maintenance checks. Some aircraft have left the fleet despite being relatively young, one such example is EI-DVF which was factory fresh in 2007 but was returned to the lessor in 2013, barely 6 years old but easily replaced by a cheaper lease. EI-DET was also just 6 years old when it left the fleet while EI-CVD was much older, it was delivered in 2001 and left in 2012. 

If an airline has a lease coming up for renewal it makes perfect sense to explore the options of finding a cheaper lease somewhere else before committing again to the current lease. This can often result in the airline getting an aircraft the same age or slightly older but the low lease costs make up for the age. Aer Lingus will hopefully see some of the IAG order for A320neo's but as with everything in IAG, they'll have to prove there's a business case for them over BA, Iberia and Vueling. 

The A350s aren't coming...at least not anytime soon. Aer Lingus will have to settle for new build A333s for the next few years but I think there will come a time when Aer Lingus will require a larger transatlantic machine than the A333 and the A350 will be back in the spotlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Aer Lingus doesn't tend to replace aircraft purely on an age basis but on a number of factors which include age, operational cost, lease renewals and maintenance checks. Some aircraft have left the fleet despite being relatively young, one such example is EI-DVF which was factory fresh in 2007 but was returned to the lessor in 2013, barely 6 years old but easily replaced by a cheaper lease. EI-DET was also just 6 years old when it left the fleet while EI-CVD was much older, it was delivered in 2001 and left in 2012. 

If an airline has a lease coming up for renewal it makes perfect sense to explore the options of finding a cheaper lease somewhere else before committing again to the current lease. This can often result in the airline getting an aircraft the same age or slightly older but the low lease costs make up for the age. Aer Lingus will hopefully see some of the IAG order for A320neo's but as with everything in IAG, they'll have to prove there's a business case for them over BA, Iberia and Vueling. 

The A350s aren't coming...at least not anytime soon. Aer Lingus will have to settle for new build A333s for the next few years but I think there will come a time when Aer Lingus will require a larger transatlantic machine than the A333 and the A350 will be back in the spotlight.

While I think we all agree on the A350, is anyone else surprised that it hasn't been confirmed yet? I understood the first A350 was due in Q2 2018 which is just over a year away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Aer Lingus have 9 A350-941XWB's with options on a further 6. They are on the 'orders and deliveries' list and not the production list.
    BA have one A350-1041on the production list but not started yet. It is ordered by IAG. I have a feeling maybe IAG have changed it's airlines order books. At least the Aer Ligus order has not been cancelled.

• Advertisement

The fact IAG haven't cancelled the order suggests to me that they're either holding onto them until the time is right for Aer Lingus (when EI management can prove a business case for them) or that they have plans to move them to Iberia or British Airways in the short term.

Either way it's likely Aer Lingus will receive the aircraft eventually but not at the current timescale we're all aware of. IAG purchasing power allows flexibility in this department.

My view is IAG continuing to top up Aer Lingus with A333s over the coming years when growth requires. The A321LR will allow additional routes and frequencies on current east coast routes allowing the "DUBHUB" to reach its potential. Once certain routes are maxed out, like JFK, BOS, ORD and possibly SFO, we'll see the need for more capacity and that's when the A359 will show its worth. Realistically this will be from 2020 onwards all going well economically/politically.

The A339neo is sure to be a fine aircraft but capacity wise it's not much different to the current A333 so would be a wasted investment, especially when you consider Aer Lingus have already evaluated it and decided it didn't have much of an advantage over the A359.

The fact IAG haven't cancelled the order suggests to me that they're either holding onto them until the time is right for Aer Lingus (when EI management can prove a business case for them) or that they have plans to move them to Iberia or British Airways in the short term.

Either way it's likely Aer Lingus will receive the aircraft eventually but not at the current timescale we're all aware of. IAG purchasing power allows flexibility in this department.

My view is IAG continuing to top up Aer Lingus with A333s over the coming years when growth requires. The A321LR will allow additional routes and frequencies on current east coast routes allowing the "DUBHUB" to reach its potential. Once certain routes are maxed out, like JFK, BOS, ORD and possibly SFO, we'll see the need for more capacity and that's when the A359 will show its worth. Realistically this will be from 2020 onwards all going well economically/politically.

The A339neo is sure to be a fine aircraft but capacity wise it's not much different to the current A333 so would be a wasted investment, especially when you consider Aer Lingus have already evaluated it and decided it didn't have much of an advantage over the A359.

Even if they are being deferred (more likely they would go to BA/IB) I would expect that to be confirmed by now.

I wonder with the commencement of level, will they prefer to give the A330 slots to that and maybe leave the A350 & A321 with EI?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Even if they are being deferred (more likely they would go to BA/IB) I would expect that to be confirmed by now.

I wonder with the commencement of level, will they prefer to give the A330 slots to that and maybe leave the A350 & A321 with EI?
    I had read that Level would commence with Iberia crew and a couple of leased in airframes. I would expect then Level will receive aircraft from a later batch of IAG orders once it proves itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In about 500 flights in over 12 or so years, I've just had my first Go Around, on EI-CVC at BHX
    To say I'm chuffed is an understatement!!

Slightly OT I know, but still,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

In about 500 flights in over 12 or so years, I've just had my first Go Around, on EI-CVC at BHX

Congrats, I have a similar number, but a diversion is my only claim to fame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Congrats, I have a similar number, but a diversion is my only claim to fame.

Had a diversion last January. Stuck on a plane in the desert for 5 hours is not pleasant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

adam88 wrote: »
    Had a diversion last January. Stuck on a plane in the desert for 5 hours is not pleasant

Mine was several years ago, inbound to Orlando, but couldn't get in because of storms in the area so diverted to Daytona, and guess where we were staying for the 2 weeks... you betcha, Daytona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was about 800ft when the runway in MAN was closed for treating due to a sudden snow flurry, and I've had landing gear indicating unlocked landing before but that's in a similar number of flights. Now my next will be doomed... We are miles off topic though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I saw EI-EDY today in dire need of a paint job!!

It looks terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Had one in a Leeds flight about 5 years ago. Was going to a match at Elland Road when the pilot announced she wasn't allowed to land as there was fog on the runway, and something about having to see all of it. 150 out of 189 said prayers to St Anthony that we wouldn't be diverted to Doncaster (or anywhere) and miss the match. I counted 3 flyovers of the same areas before we landed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

It looks terrible

Well it won't get a lick of paint now, fleet is flat out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Only had the single go around in 200+ flights, coming into Madrid seems like ATC messed it up and we ended up too high. You go up quick alright.

The go around wasn't really the highlight, the PTU seemed to be running constantly on the ground only stopped once the engines spun up beyond taxi thrust.

Had numerous shaky approaches into 28 in Dublin, were you assumed it would end up going around but never happened

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    IAG investor presentation last November had B787 and A350 deliveries shown as "to be confirmed" under their future fleet section.

I find it interesting that any marketing blurb about the new Iberia Premium Economy states that they were have it on 16 A350's. Their original order was for less than 10. Of course this increase could be due to the activation of options attached to their original order rather than a redirection of the EI order for 9 airframes.

Tenger wrote: »
    IAG investor presentation last November had B787 and A350 deliveries shown as "to be confirmed" under their future fleet section.

I find it interesting that any marketing blurb about the new Iberia Premium Economy states that they were have it on 16 A350's. Their original order was for less than 10. Of course this increase could be due to the activation of options attached to their original order rather than a redirection of the EI order for 9 airframes.

Yeah, perhaps it's genuinely not confirmed yet. could be variables such as Level at play.

Did anyone ever see delivery dates for the 2018 deliveries? If early then you would expect seats to go on sale soon wherever they end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

It looks terrible

How often do they tend to get repainted? I was last on it about a year ago and it looked pretty similar to that, surprised it's gone this long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In all my years of flying I've had 4 go arounds and 1 diversion. Now I feel jinxed!

It looks terrible
    Looks a bit faded alright but have you seen the state of the recent repaints, fine quality in terms of paint but the application of the Shamrock on the tails have been very shoddy! All the -200s and I believe  EI-DUZ and EI-EDY have been recently repainted but the Shamrock is either too small, wonky, not centred on the tail or all of the above. 

It's very obvious when looking at the new deliveries next to the older aircraft that have recently been repainted.

The shamrock on DUO tail is completely wrong 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Bussywussy wrote: »
    The shamrock on DUO tail is completely wrong 😀
    Throw a pic so,some of DUOs tail....I'd be interested to see what your talking about

Throw a pic so,some of DUOs tail....I'd be interested to see what your talking about

The stem on the shamrock is off compared to rest of fleet

Titan Airways A320 working for EI today on EI483.

john boye wrote: »
    Titan Airways A320 working for EI today on EI483.

It's also operating this evenings Gatwick-Knock flights

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Arrives Friday after today's postponement, ZV and ZW are gone

A319er wrote: »
    Arrives Friday after today's postponement, ZV and ZW are gone

Do you mean the replacement frames or a titan aircraft again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Look at the subject of the previous post - it references EI-GAL in the title.

lxflyer wrote: »

Look at the subject of the previous post - it references EI-GAL in the title.

Sorry perhaps the pervious post has been edited? As the previous post visable to me is ref. Titan sub in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Post subjects appear only on some versions of the site

L1011 wrote: »
    Post subjects appear only on some versions of the site
    Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Apologies if I confused anyone EI have 4 new aircraft due this year , two have left ZV to Allegiant and ZW to Brussels airlines ,

Today we anticipated EI - GAL A320 from leasing company ex Russian airlines but for operational reasons aircraft will position Friday from OSR

Aircraft fully EI livery Y174 new EI seats and EI config

So back to 33 A320 with One more due and ad hoc hire likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Apologies

Not your fault at all, many of us use mobile and aren't able to see the things that others on desktop see. It can be quite annoying, especially on the weather forum when people blatantly refuse to post their location as "they have it in their bio"

• Advertisement

On a related note, the next A330 has reached the paint booths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Apologies if I confused anyone EI have 4 new aircraft due this year , two have left ZV to Allegiant and ZW to Brussels airlines ,

Today we anticipated EI - GAL A320 from leasing company ex Russian airlines but for operational reasons aircraft will position Friday from OSR

Probably best not to use the title row in your posts if half the people can't see them - put it in the body of the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

wonder are they eyeing up any opportunistic Alitalia jets which may be parked in Dublin soon, with EI regs already?

john boye wrote: »
    On a related note, the next A330 has reached the paint booths.

GAJ looking like 29/30th for delivery.

Dardania wrote: »

wonder are they eyeing up any opportunistic Alitalia jets which may be parked in Dublin soon, with EI regs already?
    They'd be ideal if they had plans for expansion in Short haul, but unfortunatly I don't think they do at the moment. Although if AZ do collapse then perhaps EI could add capacity to Italy and pick up connecting traffic , who knows!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement