Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

hmmm ..
    seems we have a real mystery here.
    It was definitely Aer Lingus (we both remember the green+white livery)
    We did not stop to refuel.

And I can't find any 737/200 photos in Menorca

http://www.airliners.net/search?aircraftBasicType=2389&airline=811&country=381&sortBy=dateAccepted&sortOrder=desc&perPage=36&display=detail

Now I know it's possible the photos just don't exist , but usually they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Just wondering......did Aer Lingus ever take a Boeing 707 on that run occasionally - like if the loads were higher than B737 or BAC 1-11 could handle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

707s were used for charter work towards the end and that was probably a charter so its entirely possible. Still around in 84.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

L1011 wrote: »
    707s were used for charter work towards the end and that was probably a charter so its entirely possible. Still around in 84.

The plot thickens . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭orionm_73

hmmm ..
    seems we have a real mystery here.
    It was definitely Aer Lingus (we both remember the green+white livery)
    We did not stop to refuel.

And I can't find any 737/200 photos in Menorca

http://www.airliners.net/search?aircraftBasicType=2389&airline=811&country=381&sortBy=dateAccepted&sortOrder=desc&perPage=36&display=detail

Now I know it's possible the photos just don't exist , but usually they do.

Can you remember the seating layout as i think the 1-11 was 2-3 and the 737 3-3 seats across.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Definitely remember a charter 707 to Rhodes in 1981. Libyan ( I think) markings on way out. Shamrock on the return leg. Both definitely Aer Lingus though, and I think it might have been the 707 used in the film 'Airport' on the return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I can remember EI 737s regularly haveing to refuel in Faro on the way to the Canaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

joeysoap wrote: »
    Definitely remember a charter 707 to Rhodes in 1981. Libyan ( I think) markings on way out. Shamrock on the return leg. Both definitely Aer Lingus though, and I think it might have been the 707 used in the film 'Airport' on the return journey.

Yes, EI-ASO did a summer of charter holiday flights after it came back off lease from Libya in about 1984 ish. I remember it well.
    https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Registration/EI-ASO/491944

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Yes, EI-ASO did a summer of charter holiday flights after it came back off lease from Libya in about 1984 ish. I remember it well.
    https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Registration/EI-ASO/491944

I see Libyan Arab Airlines in 27/2/1981 as EI-ASO. Could they have taken it back for the summer? This would tally as we went on holidays (probably with Falcon) in June 1981 to Rhodes, and I heard one if the cabin crew telling somebody that the markings were Libyan on the plane. I think the plane on the return leg was named St Senan.

We were brought to the airport around midnight and about 4 in the morning this great big Shamrock passed the window where we were sitting waiting. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Howdy,

Does anyone know what happened to the 757 from Dub to Toronto for last Monday?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

bbk wrote: »
    Howdy,

Does anyone know what happened to the 757 from Dub to Toronto for last Monday?

Thanks
    YYZ is being flown by A330s for the summer I thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Quite right - Toronto is A330 now.

The 757 fleet is deployed on:
    Shannon-Boston
    Shannon-New York JFK
    Dublin-Hartford
    Dublin-Washington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for the info; but Mondays flight was delayed a few hours so I was wondering what was up.

A pity about the 757 switch, I'm flying back from Toronto soon. Ahh well :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

roundymac wrote: »
    I can remember EI 737s regularly haveing to refuel in Faro on the way to the Canaries.

The 732's were limited on range here especially the basic model. The Adv model with a bit more poke, the odds increased of a direct. Northerly head winds on return with a full load and faro was a popular drop in spot. Naviagation in these routes was hit or miss using Omega crap. You could be off track by 5 miles before in range of a VOR but such were the empty skies then, it really was of no bearing....pardon the pun.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

duskyjoe wrote: »
    The 732's were limited on range here especially the basic model. The Adv model with a bit more poke, the odds increased of a direct. Northerly head winds on return with a full load and faro was a popular drop in spot. Naviagation in these routes was hit or miss using Omega crap. You could be off track by 5 miles before in range of a VOR but such were the empty skies then, it really was of no bearing....pardon the pun.

One of the reasons why airways were 10 miles wide, it meant that even if the VOR was a little bit off, either in calibration or radial setting, the flight remained in controlled airspace. Now, with the way the modern kit works, it's not unknown for one flight to be at one edge, another on the other edge, and then a third flight is either climbing or descending through the middle of the 2 of them, that's the accuracy of GPS and related aids. First time I flew any distance in a GPS equipped aircraft (182 in the States) it was "illuminating" to see how much difference there was between the GPS track and a VOR radial when over 100 miles from the VOR. To get the CDI in the middle, we had to change the setting by about 3 degrees, which was partly an installation error, and partly the VOR itself.

Now, as has been so tragically demonstrated, if you fly the centre of the airway, and someone coming the opposite direction is at the wrong level, there is a very real risk of collision, such is the accuracy of the modern instrumentation.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Now, as has been so tragically demonstrated, if you fly the centre of the airway, and someone coming the opposite direction is at the wrong level, there is a very real risk of collision, such is the accuracy of the modern instrumentation.
    That why SLOP is critical on Oceanic routings..... Triple GPS mated to Laser gyro Initerial ref systems are ridiculously accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How's yer gaj...

New(ish) planes look awesome in EI livery.

How's yer gaj...

New(ish) planes look awesome in EI livery.

Yeah, fresh paint is gorgeous, some of them are in desperate need of a repaint now, the green fades so badly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The A330s have been receiving repaints recently, all the -200s have been done in the past two years and some of the older -300s were given a new coat of pain this winter. 
    Easiest way to tell is by looking at the Shamrock on the tail, they've all been applied very badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Must be time for the annual what LH routes will EI announce for 2018 discussion and when will they announce them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Must be time for the annual what LH routes will EI announce for 2018 discussion and when will they announce them?

The LH 2017 routes haven't even launched yet!

Part of me wonders what the plans are for the a330-200 retirement/renewal, with another HGW -300 due this year(and however many IAG decide to give in future).

Was on -EWR twice in the last while and it’s showing it’s age(as I’m sure -LAX and -DAA are too). Was delayed leaving for two hours on takeoff the first time and then they couldn’t close one of the doors properly the second time, with cabin crew even saying ‘she’s an older bird’.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The LH 2017 routes haven't even launched yet!

I know, in fairness MIA is a late launch.

I wouldn't expect much for 2018, maybe frequency increases and one new route.

Part of me wonders what the plans are for the a330-200 retirement/renewal, with another HGW -300 due this year(and however many IAG decide to give in future).

Was on -EWR twice in the last while and it’s showing it’s age(as I’m sure -LAX and -DAA are too). Was delayed leaving for two hours on takeoff the first time and then they couldn’t close one of the doors properly the second time, with cabin crew even saying ‘she’s an older bird’.
    LAX is the most reliable aircraft in the fleet. Age has nothing to do with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Agreed flown LAX many a time, the only thing that gives her away is the older cabin service panels

EWR is likely to go back to lessor as it was a rush hire to get a CF6 engined bird when business picked up long before IAG was bank rolling new builds.

• Advertisement

Agreed flown LAX many a time, the only thing that gives her away is the older cabin service panels

EWR is likely to go back to lessor as it was a rush hire to get a CF6 engined bird when business picked up long before IAG was bank rolling new builds.

I hear it's staying put? Any takers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Unless more than one aircraft arrives by summer 18, it won't be going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 nkfox

Hi, I was just checking the latest Airbus order spreadsheet up to June 30th and it has Aer Lingus down for 9 A350 900's as well as the 1 more A330 300.

I thought that the 2 A330's were in exchange for the A350's on order.

Can anyone clarify if we are going to getting any A350's?

Thanks in advance for reading this.

Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 350s have not been cancelled or reassigned. That does not mean they are guaranteed to be taking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The A350 model is still hanging in the lounge in Dublin, but the 2018 decal has been removed...

• Advertisement

The closer it gets to 2018 I'm more likely to think they will get them.

Does anyone know what time in 2018 the deliveries are due?

You would imagine whoever is getting them would want to be putting them on routes shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

The closer it gets to 2018 I'm more likely to think they will get them.

Does anyone know what time in 2018 the deliveries are due?

You would imagine whoever is getting them would want to be putting them on routes shortly.

I don't think they're on the MSN list anymore so there's no particular due date as such. Their original numbers have been reassigned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Heard nothing leaving til 2020...maybe a business case was put forward 😂😂😂

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

john boye wrote: »
    I don't think they're on the MSN list anymore so there's no particular due date as such. Their original numbers have been reassigned.
    This.

MSN 197 ay one point was noted as "1st Aer Lingus delivery" This was changed a couple of months ago to Vietnam Airlines.

Aer Lingus may well get the A350 at some stage in the future but for now the original order they placed in 2007 is long gone. The future looks like A333s and A321LRs for at least the next 5 years or so, after that we may see the business mature enough to support a fleet of A350s. 

I think a short haul replacement needs to be considered soon, it was disappointing to see IAG recently assign more of the A320neo order to Vueling, BA and Iberia leaving Aer Lingus with nothing. Either management at Aer Lingus have no desire for replacements or IAG don't believe the business case is there.

Personally, I think the entire short haul business needs to be reviewed, the network has stagnated with growth only coming in summer from increased frequencies to sun destinations and the odd new route. A smaller jet is a big investment but it's one Aer Lingus may need to take if they want to grow short haul and create a true hub in Dublin because right now feed is only really coming from the UK regions and a few major European capitals.

Tenger wrote: »
    This.

MSN 197 ay one point was noted as "1st Aer Lingus delivery" This was changed a couple of months ago to Vietnam Airlines.

I find it strange thought that IAG let the slot go, if not going to EI I'm surprised they didn't take it for Iberia/BA/level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Personally, I think the entire short haul business needs to be reviewed, the network has stagnated with growth only coming in summer from increased frequencies to sun destinations and the odd new route. A smaller jet is a big investment but it's one Aer Lingus may need to take if they want to grow short haul and create a true hub in Dublin because right now feed is only really coming from the UK regions and a few major European capitals.
    It's like as if they are matching FR with all the sun routes.

I find it strange thought that IAG let the slot go, if not going to EI I'm surprised they didn't take it for Iberia/BA/level.

Iberia and BAs first slots are #229 and #342 respectively. No doubt they have their own fleet plans in place for those deliveries and are in no rush to take the extra frames imminently.

Iberia and BAs first slots are #229 and #342 respectively. No doubt they have their own fleet plans in place for those deliveries and are in no rush to take the extra frames imminently.
    And IAG may well have traded those earlier A350 delivery slots for advantageous A321LR or A320neo slots.

Supposedly PIT on a 757 is an imminent new route for Aer Lingus, I'd imagine YYZ is being kept on the A330 full time(currently scheduled until January).

• Advertisement

Supposedly PIT on a 757 is an imminent new route for Aer Lingus, I'd imagine YYZ is being kept on the A330 full time(currently scheduled until January).
    Nice surprise if true. We know a PIT announcement is due soon, the CEO of the DAA said so last week but I wasn't aware it's expected to be by Aer Lingus. 

Aer Lingus announcements due tend to happen around this time of year so we'll just have to wait and see.

So will a current 757 route be upgauged to an A330? I wonder if we could see A330s return to SNN for the BOS route

So will a current 757 route be upgauged to an A330? I wonder if we could see A330s return to SNN for the BOS route

Well that was why I mentioned YYZ, it was a 757 route until it was upgauged for the summer, which now has been extended to January. I’d imagine once the additional A330 comes later this year it’ll stay A330, keeping a 757 free for PIT.

I very much doubt it, when on an A330, SNN-BOS operated 3-4 times a week, now it operates daily. It would also make the route unsustainable for a large part of the winter season.

Well that was why I mentioned YYZ, it was a 757 route until it was upgauged for the summer, which now has been extended to January. I’d imagine once the additional A330 comes later this year it’ll stay A330, keeping a 757 free for PIT.

Sorry picked you up wrong!

I very much doubt it, when on an A330, SNN-BOS operated 3-4 times a week, now it operates daily. It would also make the route unsustainable for a large part of the winter season.

Well I was only suggesting a 330 for the summer season. It was a long shot I know

Perhaps you dont have a long enough memory............ ;)

Tenger wrote: »
    Perhaps you dont have a long enough memory............ ;)

I don't think the SNN stopover times count Tenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

There's 4 B752, doing DUB-BDL, DUB-IAD, SNN-BOS, SNN-JFK. So to launch PIT on a B752 will require another B752 route to be ugauged to an A330, at least in summer when all the above bar SNN-JFK are daily right?

DUB-IAD used to be seasonal 4 x weekly A330. Could it fill a daily A330 now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If it's EI then IAD will return to A330 again most likely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement