Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There was a search for a 5th 757 but no idea, mention of a hull in Manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Cravens

I heard somewhere that EI-EWR is staying put, so that'll be the frame for IAD, presumably. Also, just with my fanciful thinking cap on, would it be a useful thing to do by putting the freed up 757 on a 4x weekly PIT and 3x weekly YUL? Also how is BDL doing? Is it still whipping up enough trade to support a daily 757 service?

Interesting times ahead in relation to the EI fleet, and I am starting to think they may have under-ordered on the A321LR's. Also, how are things looking for the A332 fleet? As all but one of them are now closer to 20 than 10, is there any plan to replace them in the near term?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I don't think the SNN stopover times count Tenger.
    I was thinking differently but was mistsken. On further reflection I believe it was EI-111 (SNN-JFK) that was daily in the past.

In relation to DUB-BDL. I believe that EI are getting a subsidy from the airport on the route, so as long as its breaking even it is OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Any idea how 321's are allotted. One was doing Catania yesterday. Is it decided a few days ahead or planned for the whole summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Any idea how 321's are allotted. One was doing Catania yesterday. Is it decided a few days ahead or planned for the whole summer?

They kind of have a set schedule but moved if demand changes closer to the time, Faro, Malage, Venice, Rome, Catania, Dubrovnik, Lanzarote, Naples tend to see them most often.

Catania is more less all A321 for most of the summer peak.

• Advertisement

Saw pics today of a "new addition" to the EI fleet.
    Very short timeframe in service, as in 3-4 days. Might be visible over Dublin area on Thursday or Friday. (Or heard due to its props)
    Will be displaying at Bray and Foynes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think I'd be right in saying that new addition has just been painted in Shannon, and is now covered in a black sack ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Is this the one that is rumoured to be replacing the ATR on public service routes? Or is that wishful thinking? :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Is this the one that is rumoured to be replacing the ATR on public service routes? Or is that wishful thinking? :P

I suspect there's a lot of enthusiasts who would be very happy to see that happen, but the reality is that the chances of getting it on to a public transport AOC are pretty thin, unfortunately. Should look spectacular though.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

It'll be flying around Dub Thursday about 11..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Hmm.....

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Hmm.....

correct post war colours

EI-ACO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

That looks very accurate, with the exception of the green on the fin/rudder, which I suspect may be to avoid a need for rudder rebalancing after painting.. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/5783374584

So where do you get a DC3 type rating?

What's the deal with that DC3? Who is operating it ?

If it's flying on a non commercial C of A, would you need a type rating for it, or "just" a sign off by an instructor for a multi engine type.

If it needs a T R, then I suspect Canada, with assistance from Buffalo is about the only place AFAIK that's still flying them commercially.

Is it being put on the Irish register, or will it remain on the South African register, the people that flew it to Ireland are clearly rated, and may have instructors ratings as well.

Looks nice, seeing that colour scheme, when did the blue get introduced, it's been there as long as I could remember, but clearly at some stage, the green changed and the blue was added.

And of course, when did the shamrock on the tail first appear?

The DC3 should have a shamrock under the cockpit windows, can't see from the photos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

If it's flying on a non commercial C of A, would you need a type rating for it, or "just" a sign off by an instructor for a multi engine type.

If it needs a T R, then I suspect Canada, with assistance from Buffalo is about the only place AFAIK that's still flying them commercially.

Is it being put on the Irish register, or will it remain on the South African register, the people that flew it to Ireland are clearly rated, and may have instructors ratings as well.

Looks nice, seeing that colour scheme, when did the blue get introduced, it's been there as long as I could remember, but clearly at some stage, the green changed and the blue was added.

And of course, when did the shamrock on the tail first appear?
    I don't think the blue appeared until the 70s/80s livery. The current design is just an evolution of its predecessor in some ways, all the main colours remained (green/blue/white/grey) but were refined and rearranged. Even the grey is still visible on the underside of the aircraft rather than covering the entire belly while the shades of green have switched places and the cheat-line has been thinned with the blue placed below rather than above the window line. Obviously the new shades were custom made at the time and went with the wider rebrand of the airline in the mid 90s but I believe Aer Lingus asked for the same group of colours just used in a different way. 

As for the Shamrock on the tail, it featured on the nose of aircraft long before but was definitely on the tail of the Super Constellations in the 50s, when the transatlantic arm was Aerlinte Eireann. The livery was polished chrome and a green lightning bolt cheat line down the fuselage with a shamrock and each outward vertical stabilizer and the Irish flag on the middle one.

Issues with paint for Shamrock, will applied as as.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

About to fly CPG, I can now say I've been on all 3 EI A321's lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EIN137, operated by Omni Air N225AX Boeing 767-200 has just taken off from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Whats the situation with the DC3?

Who owns it? did Aer Lingus just rent it for the air displays this past weekend, and have it painted in a retro livery?

Are there any more plans for it? or is that it, it'll be off home again to be repainted in it's 'home' livery?

DC3 is owned by someone in Luxembourg. Its still on the South African register

EI sponsoring the owners to by providing some paint and gas money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

It's owned by a private individual, I heard it was based in Germany?

It's going tobe in that livery for the next 5 years, and will be taking part in the 75th Normandy anniversary and the 70th Berlin airlift anniversary in that time, so some good PR.

I much prefer that livery to the retrojet, would love to see an Airbus in it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Me too.When I saw it rolled out in the old EI livery, my first thought was how great an A320 would look in the scheme.....maybe even an A330? How cool would that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Whats the situation with the DC3?

Who owns it? did Aer Lingus just rent it for the air displays this past weekend, and have it painted in a retro livery?

Are there any more plans for it? or is that it, it'll be off home again to be repainted in it's 'home' livery?

This may be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8HkTuScaus

HTCOne wrote: »
    It's owned by a private individual, I heard it was based in Germany?

It's going tobe in that livery for the next 5 years, and will be taking part in the 75th Normandy anniversary and the 70th Berlin airlift anniversary in that time, so some good PR.

I much prefer that livery to the retrojet, would love to see an Airbus in it.....

There's no free lunches here......AL must be paying serious bucks to maintain dc3 and pay all ancillaries ? If your saying it's in these colours for the next 5yrs, that's a tremendous PR coup. Is the grand ole lady, the iolar retiring for active displaying? I hope they keep her airworthy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Apparently someone hopped a baggage loader off one of the 330s, (LAX) afaik, in the hanger in Dublin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

How are EI getting by without an A332 in rotation? Must be tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

An A340 came in yesterday. See the FR24 thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

How are EI getting by without an A332 in rotation? Must be tight.

Omni came to the rescue over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

We can see why there's been so little investment in the short haul fleet here - it's loss making apparently:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-warns-it-faces-turbulent-times-as-lowcost-norwegian-and-ryanair-threaten-its-market-share-35957841.html

Not mentioned is the effect of connecting passengers onto long haul...

Then dont go head to head with ULCCs by trying to be a LCC.
    Follow the formula of the previous CEO and target a different market. I never had any faith in this latest CEO. Everything I heard from mates in EI confirmed those thoughts.

Reading that article makes it seem like the increased competition from Norwegian and Ryanair came as a surprise. That was a no brainer, they should have been reading boards.ie and started facing up to this 12-18 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Amazing they can sponsor the IRFU and give the players free business seats etc etc and pay for promoting a DC3....wait till August 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

320 are all about 12 years old thats still good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

zone 1 wrote: »

Not all, or even close to all

Not really. There hasnt been any shorthaul replacement process over the last few years. Ideally an airline should have a continual fleet renewal in place rather than getting hit with a very large capital investment cost in 3-5 years.

And as above didnt most recent IAG results present EI are their star pupil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Amazing they can sponsor the IRFU and give the players free business seats etc etc and pay for promoting a DC3....wait till August ������

It's not an 'either or' situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Amazing they can sponsor the IRFU and give the players free business seats etc etc and pay for promoting a DC3....wait till August ������

Bizarrely enough every company has to market itself - this chestnut keeps coming up - companies have to promote themselves to the public.

Would you prefer EI did no marketing whatsoever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

http://dc3training.com/type-rating/
    It might be fun for 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah BA, Air France, Lufthansa, Finnair etc all fly A320s that are reaching 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

According to this website the average fleet age is 11.9 years but the A321's and the four 757's that they don't own may affect this. I didn't do the maths!

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Aer-Lingus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Mebuntu wrote: »
    According to this website the average fleet age is 11.9 years but the A321's and the four 757's that they don't own may affect this. I didn't do the maths!

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Aer-Lingus

Via Airfleets.net

423420.jpg

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Aer%20Lingus.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Tenger wrote: »
    Not really. There hasnt been any shorthaul replacement process over the last few years. Ideally an airline should have a continual fleet renewal in place rather than getting hit with a very large capital investment cost in 3-5 years.

And as above didnt most recent IAG results present EI are their star pupil?

Part of that is to do with the lack of major capex on the shourthaul side though(thanks to cheaper renegotiated leases on older planes, and leasing/purchasing used planes as additions to the fleet instead of brand new).

The 'reward' for being the star pupil is the investment in new A330s for long haul ops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I wouldn't bet on Norwegian being around in 5 years time, markets are getting very nervous about them. People were hoping their leasing business would turn the tide, but apparently nobody else wants the engines they've put on their NEOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

AL a320 make emergency landing in dublin. flight cork to faro

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

AL a320 make emergency landing in dublin. flight cork to faro

I believe this was discussed on another thread, it was a hydrolics issue, the passengers continued their journey on another aircraft and the problem aircraft was repaired and is back in service

EI-DEA was back flying later in the afternoon so couldn't have been that bad.

I have moved a number of posts that are not Aer Lingus fleet related to a new thread. If I've missed any, please report them, and we can tidy things up a bit more.

Please, lets keep this to fleet issues, and keep the industrial relations and pay related issues out of this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Does anyone have info on cancelled A330 flights recently?

The Toronto to Dublin flight before mine was cancelled. Then when seeing what EI-ELA was up to, it seems its return trip was also canceled.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement