Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

0lddog wrote: »
    Mr O'Leary has a 737-700 that can be fitted out nice ? :)

The Vatican couldn't take the risk......it could be running three hrs. late or even inexplicably cancelled at short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Comhra wrote: »
    The Vatican couldn't take the risk......it could be running three hrs. late or even inexplicably cancelled at short notice.

:D

Just like home for the Argentinian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Would be some waste of an A330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You want to fly a head of state in an all Y A320?

Our own has no issues doing so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    Our own has no issues doing so.

Different kettle of fish when it comes to legroom with our head of state though :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I'd bet on EI-FNG, St Laurence O'Toole, suitably Irish and a new frame in vastly better shape compared to some of the older frames

What does he need a widebody for?
    I’d have thought a big part of it would be flying him on the St. Patrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bussywussy wrote: »

Be a waste of a 320 too. Stick him in the iolar.

kona wrote: »

Be a waste of a 320 too. Stick him in the iolar.
    It’s probably worth the cost of fuel in publicity and air time when their huge green a330 is showed live on tv as probably a million or two people watch the event

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Locker10a wrote: »
    It’s probably worth the cost of fuel in publicity and air time when their huge green a330 is showed live on tv as probably a million or two people watch the event

Absolutely. EI would be fools not to milk the opportunity for its media impact.
    However lets hop they don't have 'overbooking' issues like happened with the charter flight for the rugby final in Bilbao!!!!
    Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The last time the Vatican Head of State visited Ireland in 1979. He made the then unprecedented move of flying with Aer Lingus (747-148, EI-ASI, St Patrick), from Rome to Dublin and onward from Shannon to New York, having previously travelled exclusively with Alitalia.
    My memory of "Flight of the Iolar" may be off but I believe that they had a back-up B747 renamed "St.Patrick" in case -ASI had tech issues.

As for the suggestion about EI-FNG, there have been 3 new A333 deliveries since it arrived. All with suitably Irish names. Although Larry O'Toole is the patron saint of Dublin so not a bad choice.

Ninja Edit: looked up the other names on airframes.org! Larry is actually FNH!
    FNG = Colmcille (a Prince of Ulster & descendant of Niall of the 9 Hostage)
    GAJ = Carthage (abbot of Lismore)
    GCF = Aongus (9th century bishop from Talaght)

Laurence O'Toole; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorc%C3%A1n_Ua_Tuathail
    Colmcille; http://www.monasticireland.com/storiesofsaints/colmcille.htm
    Catharge; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Chutu_of_Lismore
    Aongus; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93engus_of_Tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I think it was a 707 on standby in Rome in case the 747 went tech in ‘79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I wouldn't expect EI will be flying him from Rome, they would have to cancel 3-4 T/A flights. Preparations would have been known by now and flights removed to make way. The B752 to NOC is most logical, could NOC even handle an A330 on the apron?, fire cover etc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect EI will be flying him from Rome, they would have to cancel 3-4 T/A flights. Preparations would have been known by now and flights removed to make way. The B752 to NOC is most logical, could NOC even handle an A330 on the apron?, fire cover etc
    Knock has handled 747s in the past hasn't it? Should have no issue with an A330 although perhaps there may be an issue were 3 FR 738s to arrive at the same time.

marno21 wrote: »
    Knock has handled 747s in the past hasn't it? Should have no issue with an A330 although perhaps there may be an issue were 3 FR 738s to arrive at the same time.

In the past I know but its been quiet a while since any wide-bodies have been to the airport. Never been there so not really sure how its set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I was in the Phoenix Park in '79 when JP2 flew over. It was quite a moment ( albeit when one is an impressionable teen as opposed to an impressionable adult) when the 747 accompanied by Aer Corps aircraft did a flyover prior to landing in Dublin.

Actually that's true...theyll probably get staff to "volunteer" their time too for free to cut costs further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

marno21 wrote: »

Last was 2003, but major runway, turnpad and ILS upgrades since then and fire cover is now Cat 9, so 'technically' no issue bar stand space an airline SOP limits.

bigbird.jpg
    Jamie2k9 wrote:
    Never been there so not really sure how its set up.

They normally operate 3 Cat-C stands on Alpha, 1R/2L can accommodate Cat D 757/767 charters. Cat E A332 may cause some operational issues but looks like it is only on the ground for 2 hours Sunday morning with a couple of FR and one BE arrivals scheduled.

I'd say 757 if available having operated recent EI transatlantic charters from NOC.

Bravo apron is usually used for VIPs/quick access... G8 summit 763 and Vice President C-17 visit and last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Tenger wrote: »
    However lets hop they don't have 'overbooking' issues like happened with the charter flight for the rugby final in Bilbao!!!

Don't want to be pedantic, but this was because of an aircraft swap and not overbooking. Due to tech issues they had to use an A332 that has a crew rest, meaning 5 less seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Don't want to be pedantic, but this was because of an aircraft swap and not overbooking. Due to tech issues they had to use an A332 that has a crew rest, meaning 5 less seats.

...and AFAIK a family who didn't have match tickets anyway decided not to travel and their €800 flight tickets were refunded along with €250 EU261 compensation each and possibly some more goodies so they were actually really happy with the whole thing! Nice little nixer.

Funny, but EI stated it was due to the Italian ATC leaving an aircraft out of position.

Funny, but EI stated it was due to the Italian ATC leaving an aircraft out of position.

The same aircraft operated as was planned...people in the offices missed where the aircraft was a different config as it was new to the fleet and doesnt have a crew rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The same aircraft operated as was planned...people in the offices missed where the aircraft was a different config as it was new to the fleet and doesnt have a crew rest

I heard it was a different aircraft than planned, (I presumed tech but maybe it was ATC as mentioned by another poster). Although I think were in agreement it wasn't overbooking that caused it.

If it was an office issue like you said, then it was a schoolboy error that really shouldn't happen at a large airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I seem to remember there was transatlantic disruption the pervious day, bird strike or hare on the runway I think which caused a few headaches and resulted in an A330 out of position which led to EI-GEY, with its slightly lower seat count standing in for the rugby charter.

I seem to remember there was transatlantic disruption the pervious day, bird strike or hare on the runway I think which caused a few headaches and resulted in an A330 out of position which led to EI-GEY, with its slightly lower seat count standing in for the rugby charter.

GEY was always planned for it..no aircraft was out of position due to hare strike...only a Malaga trip was lost for that

GEY was always planned for it..no aircraft was out of position due to hare strike...only a Malaga trip was lost for that

So, how many different a330 configurations are there now? And how can the booking engine deal with it all? Surely specific reg’s would have to be assigned to particular routes,for instances of guests booking specific seats etc, how can they guarantee exit row or bassinet seats for example ?

So, how many different a330 configurations are there now? And how can the booking engine deal with it all? Surely specific reg’s would have to be assigned to particular routes,for instances of guests booking specific seats etc, how can they guarantee exit row or bassinet seats for example ?

5, bookings are capped until closer to departure. Its also rare to have 100% full Y load accross all routes so changes are easy to adjust. BIO mess was total in competence, no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I thought AL stated that because of an industrial dispute in Italy the day previously aircraft were ‘out of position’

joeysoap wrote: »
    I thought AL stated that because of an industrial dispute in Italy the day previously aircraft were ‘out of position’
    They did but it wasn't true unless they also planned to operate an A320/1 down

joeysoap wrote: »

They could hardly say they screwed up, the excuse used makes the best out of a bad PR situation.

2 A330s coming next year I heard from 2 sources,one said ex Qatar one said brand new :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Where will they park them? Even now heavy stand availability is at an absolute premium during peak hours at Dub Therein lies the question- will they be based elsewhere outside of the republic ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭john boye

2 A330s coming next year I heard from 2 sources,one said ex Qatar one said brand new :-)

Just out of interest, how long are Airbus likely to continue to produce the A330 CEO once the NEO is fully in production? Just until all outstanding orders are fulfilled?

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Where will they park them? Even now heavy stand availability is at an absolute premium during peak hours at Dub Therein lies the question- will they be based elsewhere outside of the republic ?

Ha I know...which makes the rumour less believable...unless later departure or early departure times

I suspect new, I can't see EI wanting to build up a fleet of A332 when operating 300s is better commercially. That is if QR are not phasing out A333.

Surely there will be possibly be replacements, EWR lease ending?

I suspect new, I can't see EI wanting to build up a fleet of A332 when operating 300s is better commercially. That is if QR are not phasing out A333.

Surely there will be possibly be replacements, EWR lease ending?
    One is due to be a replacement...1 new and 1 used might make sense

I suspect new, I can't see EI wanting to build up a fleet of A332 when operating 300s is better commercially. That is if QR are not phasing out A333?
    Perhaps EI might get a good deal on the lease of older A330s. Quite a few are phasing out their A330ceo’s for A350s or A330NEO’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Is there any way to see what plane is going to be covering a route on a certain day? Trying to see what aircraft is flying to SFO on Sunday ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Perhaps EI might get a good deal on the lease of older A330s. Quite a few are phasing out their A330ceo’s for A350s or A330NEO’s.

The QR A333s are all older lower MTOW versions AFAIK, so not capable of West Coast or potential routes to Texas or DEN I’d guess.

On a side note I heard that VIM A332 was supposed to be taken on lease by EI but after the engineers got a good look at it they recommended against taking it on.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Is there any way to see what plane is going to be covering a route on a certain day? Trying to see what aircraft is flying to SFO on Sunday ;-)

Sunday should be an A333 and there is only 2 that can run it (GAJ or GCF)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Technically 4 can make the run, but only 2 have the crew rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Sunday should be an A333 and there is only 2 that can run it (GAJ or GCF)

Cool, I've been on GAJ before but never GCF

All the 300s can do it and have done before but generally are weight restricted and no crew rest.

All the 300s can do it and have done before but generally are weight restricted and no crew rest so not really viable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The latest 4 are not weight restricted but only 2 have crew rest

EI-EWR can make it to LAX/SFO with ease but has no crew rest

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

@Jaimie2K9 pm'd you

Correct, FNH/FNG are demodified from 242T to 233T machines and also the structure is able to be modified for lower deck crew rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Is it hard or possible to add crew rest. Afaik it’s a pod that’s added to the cargo hold

adam88 wrote: »
    Is it hard or possible to add crew rest. Afaik it’s a pod that’s added to the cargo hold
    yes its easily installed/removed and tested...however you can't just add it to an aircraft not set up for it, it would require serious modification electrically, structurally and pneumatically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

adam88 wrote: »

Couple lengths of 4x2, some chipboard sheeting and a few screws and away with you :D

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Couple lengths of 4x2, some chipboard sheeting and a few screws and away with you :D

Do NOT forget the speedtape....

Anyone know the reason behind the disruption to some LGW services today? And why titan were called in to operate ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement