Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Did a 320 have a gear issue earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ohigg84

adam88 wrote: »
    Is it hard or possible to add crew rest. Afaik it’s a pod that’s added to the cargo hold

EI-EWR used to fly to LAX when when she was delivered new to EI in June 2000.

So surely she must have had a crew rest facility then.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Thelingussource.com re Titan

DS had a landing gear issue, ex Manchester , pin!,,,

A normal summer day to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Correct, FNH/FNG are demodified from 242T to 233T machines and also the structure is able to be modified for lower deck crew rest

Any reason why FNG and FNH were demodified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They simply don't need the range/payload currently, its re-certifiable to 242t and improves resale value would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

ATC fees are based on declared MTOW so no point paying for something you don't need

This was also the story behind the whole A350 regional thing as well, EI didn't need even half the range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭orionm_73

ohigg84 wrote: »
    EI-EWR used to fly to LAX when when she was delivered new to EI in June 2000.

So surely she must have had a crew rest facility then.

The crew rest back then was not the underfloor one but seats in the cabin curtained off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

orionm_73 wrote: »
    The crew rest back then was not the underfloor one but seats in the cabin curtained off.

Is that common nowadays? I notice Ethiopian do it on their 787s to LAX with two business class seats curtained off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    orionm_73 wrote: »

Is that common nowadays? I notice Ethiopian do it on their 787s to LAX with two business class seats curtained off.

Yes EI still do it in business for flight crew on DAA and LAX...DUO,GAJ,GCF have a forward crew rest compartment...there is an area in the aft RH cabin where a curtain can be fitted for cabin crew rest but it's never used

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Bourgas passengers not doing well this week. According to FR24 stats this is an A321 operation.

The previous flight on Tuesday EI376 diverted to Bucharest due weather and then the aircraft flew back to DUB. A Titan 767 did the rescue of EI377 from Bourgas on Wed.

Today's EI376 (14.45) is delayed and showing next info at 19.00. The aircraft (CPG) landed at DUB from Venice at 15.16 but no details of the reason for delay.

Sources: Flightradar24/EI website and www.thelingussource.com

Edit 19.15: Just heard on 121.80 the crew reporting they still have "the same problem".

Edit 20.10: Taxiing, at last.

Edit 20.25 We have lift off. Bon Voyage people. You deserve a good holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Bourgas passengers not doing well this week. According to FR24 stats this is an A321 operation.

The previous flight on Tuesday EI376 diverted to Bucharest due weather and then the aircraft flew back to DUB. A Titan 767 did the rescue of EI377 from Bourgas on Wed.

Today's EI376 (14.45) is delayed and showing next info at 19.00. The aircraft (CPG) landed at DUB from Venice at 15.16 but no details of the reason for delay.

Sources: Flightradar24/EI website and www.thelingussource.com

Edit 19.15: Just heard on 121.80 the crew reporting they still have "the same problem".

Friend of mine was on the Tuesday EI376, 6hr bus journey from Bucharest to Bourgas, nasty!

Now EI182 DUB-LHR is returning to stand with a problem. Must be the heat :)

Just to complete the earlier Bourgas saga (for now) the return EI377 has been cancelled. Must have been a long day for its passengers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Just to complete the earlier Bourgas saga (for now) the return EI377 has been cancelled. Must have been a long day for its passengers as well.

Wife's parents are currently sat in Bourgas airport awaiting news, plane was meant leave at 3PM today, (1PM Irish time).

They stayed in a hotel last night but not all were as lucky.

Had to watch todays aer lingus flight come and go too

raiders11 wrote: »
    Wife's parents are currently sat in Bourgas airport awaiting news, plane was meant leave at 3PM today, (1PM Irish time).

They stayed in a hotel last night but not all were as lucky.

Had to watch todays aer lingus flight come and go too
    Bourgas airport information shows estimated time of 16.30 (14.30 Irish). The flight is now EI1377 (per Aer Lingus website).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Bourgas airport information shows estimated time of 16.30 (14.30 Irish). The flight is now EI1377 (per Aer Lingus website).

No sign of boarding yet though..

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Shamrockj

Hey everyone. Was wondering what everyone thinks about the possibilities of Aer Lingus operating A321neo out of Cork on transatlantic operations. I think they would make a better go at it than Norwegian they have connections on the US side and the business class offers better chances at making a profit. And I'm sure Cork Airport would be keen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Was wondering what everyone thinks about the possibilities of Aer Lingus operating A321neo out of Cork on transatlantic operations. I think they would make a better go at it than Norwegian they have connections on the US side and the business class offers better chances at making a profit. And I'm sure Cork Airport would be keen.

I think because of the above points it's a very possible venture either for EI or another airline, soon perhaps as it's only become viable in the last year or two with new aircraft on the scene which are capable of such a venture.

Long term if there's viability for 8 transatlantic services to 6 destinations (JFK x2, Newark, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto and the Norwegian flights to Providence and Stewart) from a smaller airport further up the west coast it makes a flight out of Cork a likelihood especially with the large volume of US companies with outlets in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is 2133m enough for a fully laden 321LR?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement

That runway in Cork is short

A321neoLR is a bigger and heavier plane than the 737 MAX 8, it wont be able to do a MTOW departure from Cork

Norwegian has admitted it cannot operate fully loaded out of Cork

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That runway in Cork is short

A321neoLR is a bigger and heavier plane than the 737 MAX 8, it wont be able to do a MTOW departure from Cork

Norwegian has admitted it cannot operate fully loaded out of Cork
    I've been scouring for a while but I can't find the runway length required for an A321LR

https://www.independent.ie/business/aer-lingus-eyes-corkus-service-with-new-jets-says-iag-boss-34679697.html

Willie Walsh seems to indicate it's possible, and I'm sure he's looked into this more than I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭kub

marno21 wrote: »
    I've been scouring for a while but I can't find the runway length required for an A321LR

https://www.independent.ie/business/aer-lingus-eyes-corkus-service-with-new-jets-says-iag-boss-34679697.html

Willie Walsh seems to indicate it's possible, and I'm sure he's looked into this more than I have.

That he did and as he was once an Aer Lingus pilot then he has a grasp on the technical details.

Meanwhile 31,000 is a good number:

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/31000-travelled-on-the-Cork-to-Boston-service-in-its-first-year-120f15d3-9978-4a3e-90f8-e847da6127f0-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Shamrockj

I'm sure the runway length would be a slight issue. Could see a possibility as Dublin is pretty full these days and only getting busier. There are quite regular connections to the UK as well if connections were considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Have a look here....

http://www.airbus.com/aircraft/support-services/airport-operations-and-technical-data/aircraft-characteristics.html

I dont know what the differences are between the A321NEO and A321LR, or if these changes are only fuel related.

A321LR appears to have a MTOM of 97,000 kgs and 3 Additional Fuel Tanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

That article was from 2016 when the only thing known about the 321LR was from the sales blurb produced by Airbus. The data that AL now have makes for very different reading on the aircrafts range and take off performance. Services out of Cork are unlikely as the aircraft stands at the moment.

Also bear in mind that there has always been canibalisation between SNN and ORK. You may well see the 321LR in SNN in the future once the 757s are gone. We will have to wait and see what the route announcements are but that is unlikely until the delivery dates are firmed up.

• Advertisement

The most likely services out of Cork will be to New York or Boston. The A321LR has a range of 4000nm and Cork-JFK is 2,700nm, Boston shorter. I would imagine if the A321 is anything near what it claims to be in terms of short runway performance it should make it out of 2133m Cork to travel to New York

SNN will certainly get 2 A321neolr's, maybe even a another for ORD, could even see the morning SNN to LHR and back run as a A321

Its easy say Cork works, problem is thats assuming the wind isn't blowing the wrong way, which is normally the case so the crosswind has a impact. A321neolr is challenge as you can't have a full fuel full load case you have to balance one off the other

Marno21, have a look at the link that i posted, you can easily see how badly a 321 is affected by the short runway, the 4000 nms is a pipe dream without taking a substantial payload hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

While EI could make JFK/BOS work from ORK if they can make more money ex DUB to NE USA/Canada then they will allocate the plane there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Is there any chance that they would extend the runway at cork so the likes of the new aer lingus planes could use it or would it not be viable to extend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭kub

roadmaster wrote: »
    Is there any chance that they would extend the runway at cork so the likes of the new aer lingus planes could use it or would it not be viable to extend it?

Rumours have been going on for years before the crash, the debt for the terminal building is still being payed down.
    The only way Cork will get an extension to 16/34 is a local minister getting his finger out.
    So no fear of that for a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

The A321LR delivery has been pushed back at least 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭zone 1

cork NY never aerlingus........cork is lucky with what it has , i didnt see any try to muscle out NW when they came to cork for TA . they sat on the fence and hoped it goes belly up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

Wonder if there is scope to do a shorthop DUB-SNN for immigration and then do the long hop I was only thinking about this, why not use SNN as an interlining hub from a few key venues as it has the room to expand

trellheim wrote: »
    Wonder if there is scope to do a shorthop DUB-SNN for immigration and then do the long hop I was only thinking about this, why not use SNN as an interlining hub from a few key venues as it has the room to expand

Which would be forever known as the Shannon Stopover II.

It won’t happen due to cost, time, delays etc etc

Personally I’d rather chew my own arm off rather than have to do a stopover on a short long haul flight.

That EDI and GLA traffic interlining doesn't need to do so through DUB if the price is right, you have a quiet preclearance rather than duffys circus in Dublin

That EDI and GLA traffic interlining doesn't need to do so through DUB if the price is right, you have a quiet preclearance rather than duffys circus in Dublin

That’s assuming that the passengers ex EDI/GLA want to only go to the destinations served from Shannon. For every Stobart flying in to Dublin with connecting passengers they aren’t just wanting to go to Boston and New York.

Certainly it could be done as long as the schedules allowed. The back up to doing it through Dublin for the airlines is the underlying Origin and Destination traffic between Dublin and Scotland that supports the flights as they stand. The problem for Shannon is how many passengers want to travel just between the two everyday anyway.

I am viewing this in the context of could you make a hull pay to interline EDI to ORD via SNN or some other city pair . The preclearance scrum is not a selling point in Dub anymore quite the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I am viewing this in the context of could you make a hull pay to interline EDI to ORD via SNN or some other city pair . The preclearance scrum is not a selling point in Dub anymore quite the opposite.
    funny, I was chatting to a lad in Munich the week before last (Italian born, living in Germany, no links with Ireland at all) and he was singing the praises of the preclearance in Dublin.

He flew Munich to Boston and the transfer time was about 2 hours in Dublin, he was through preclearance relatively quickly and then managed a half dozen whiskey samples before boarding the plane. Aside from preclearance which to him was a revelation (and the free whiskey), he found the whole aer lingus experience to be great and at a more competitive price than the extortionate direct flight options, and it'll be his first choice for the next time he is travelling transatlantic.

The preclearance scrum is not a selling point in Dub anymore quite the opposite.

I haven’t done preclearance in Dublin in a long time, I have done it in JFK and Orlando and I was lucky enough in JFK to be on an early enough arrival and one of the first off the plane so it was quick enough. However in Orlando it was very hot (temp)and slow and I would have preferred to have done everything in Dublin.

I will be preclearing in Dublin regularly in the next few years and for me I’d rather stand for (rumoured) 2-3 hours(at worst) in Dublin queuing (sure I’d be sitting waiting anyway as I don’t usually shop in airports)before I fly than waiting an hour or two in my destination as that is when I need to be off and driving to my hotel and when I’m more tired.

You may feel in your opinion that preclearing is not a selling point but for many it is a massive bonus. There will always be peak times for everything and there will be times when the booths get several difficult to process passengers who slow up the system. It probably doesn’t help that the US gov keep changing the requirements slowing down the rate the agents can process paxs.

• Advertisement

Hi - slightly missing my point - more that preclearance in SNN would be faster better and more relaxed. Making use of an underutilized asset, ( both preclearance and the airport ).

Hi - slightly missing my point - more that preclearance in SNN would be faster better and more relaxed. Making use of an underutilized asset, ( both preclearance and the airport ).

See my response an hour ago in that regard, I was addressing your point about Dublin in the last post.

Again Trellheim there needs to be an underlying demand to fly between Glasgow/Edinburgh and Shannon to support any flight. It can’t be purely based on sending passengers through an under-utilised airport. The reason Dublin works is because of the vast amount of inbound passengers from multiple airports wanting to either go to Dublin or fly onwards out of Dublin. That is my point.

And for your info Edinburgh already arrives in to Shannon before the departures to Boston and New York, so technically Aer Lingus is already doing it and I checked Aer Lingus webpage and did a dummy booking and it’s an option plus it’s cheaper than via Dublin on dates selected. It all comes down to what the passenger selects.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

basill wrote: »
    ................ You may well see the 321LR in SNN in the future once the 757s are gone. We will have to wait and see what the route announcements are but that is unlikely until the delivery dates are firmed up.
    I dont have any insider info but it seems obvious that the A321LR will replace the B757s. So 2 in each airport automatically with 2 more for new routes of additional capacity in the North-East USA.

Whats this about a 2 month delay? Those that mean from Q2 to Q32019?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Tenger wrote: »
    basill wrote: »
    ................ You may well see the 321LR in SNN in the future once the 757s are gone. We will have to wait and see what the route announcements are but that is unlikely until the delivery dates are firmed up.
    I dont have any insider info but it seems obvious that the A321LR will replace the B757s. So 2 in each airport automatically with 2 more for new routes of additional capacity in the North-East USA.

Whats this about a 2 month delay? Those that mean from Q2 to Q32019?

The first A321LRs are exclusively for expansion and new routes, the 757s are staying until 2020 when the last of the A321LRs come to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

The first A321LRs are exclusively for expansion and new routes, the 757s are staying until 2020 when the last of the A321LRs come to replace them.

One 757 is to go next year, presumably CJX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

marno21 wrote: »
    The most likely services out of Cork will be to New York or Boston. The A321LR has a range of 4000nm and Cork-JFK is 2,700nm, Boston shorter. I would imagine if the A321 is anything near what it claims to be in terms of short runway performance it should make it out of 2133m Cork to travel to New York

I'm presuming that they don't just consider takeoff performance, but stopping distance on the same runway in an emergency overweight landing with possible degradation to aircraft systems?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

but stopping distance on the same runway in an emergency overweight landing with possible degradation to aircraft systems?
    This isn't a considered factor and remember that Shannon is only up the road.

The B747-400 aircraft needs over 15000 feet of planned runway to land with Anti Skid inoperative, there are very few airports with runways of that length, so if emergency overweight landings were factored into airport selections, you would have never seen the B747-400 operate to anywhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Shn99 wrote: »
    One 757 is to go next year, presumably CJX
    Yup, saw this before Xmas in the EI ‘future fleet’ slide. 2, possibly 3 new narrow body routes in 2019?
    Summer 18: 4 B757, 0 A321, 12 A330,
    Summer 19: 3 B757, 4 A321, 12 A330,
    Summer 20: 0 B757, 8 A321, 12 A330,
    Summer 21: 0 B757, 12 A321, 12 A330.

*EDIT; looked back to mid Nov and saw the posts about the IAG capital markets day, have adjusted the above figures. Note that in Nov 2017 they were planning 12 A330 and here we are 6 months later with 13 in service with EI. So these numbers are not set in stone. EI might decide to keep a couple of B757 into late 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

zone 1 wrote: »
    cork NY never aerlingus........cork is lucky with what it has , i didnt see any try to muscle out NW when they came to cork for TA . they sat on the fence and hoped it goes belly up
    Once they build the motorway between Limerick and Cork you can forget about about T/A out of Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭zone 1

is there any demand for 757s to be kept on the fleet for few more years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement