Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

trellheim wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean but technically it is not correct, as if it regularly lands in Ireland it is not technically a domestic fit !

The poster never said it was a domestic flight, they said it was one of uniteds ‘domestic cabin layouts/interior’, pretty simple to understand. Why are people on here so nit picky, it’s an absolute joke at this stage

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Karl8415 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what’s going on with EI-CPH tonight,unless I’m mistaken I taught she was bringing the pope back to Rome but on flight tracker it seems to have gone as far as Corsica,done a uturn and is now over the south coast of France and looks to be heading back to Dublin
    The pope went on EI2408, EI-CPG. EI-CPH was also sent to shepherd the papal flight in the event there was an issue with CPG and it wasn't able to complete the journey to Rome. When CPG started descending into CIA, CPH's job was done and it began the return to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Does anyone know what’s going on with EI-CPH tonight,unless I’m mistaken I taught she was bringing the pope back to Rome but on flight tracker it seems to have gone as far as Corsica,done a uturn and is now over the south coast of France and looks to be heading back to Dublin

EI-CPG was operating the papal flight EI2408 which has just landed at Rome Ciampino.

EI-CPH was the backup aircraft which followed the papal flight lest there was a technical issue, until it started its descent into Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Spare aircraft incase the one carrying the Pope had to divert. Pope’s plane got within save distance of Rome so the spare one turned for home.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

Ah that makes sense,thanks everyone,curiosity got the better of me,I never took any notice of Ei-CPG,I knew it brought the pope to knock earlier alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Who paid for all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Who paid for all this?

Paid for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Who paid for all this?

The Vatican charter the plane. I’d say EI paid for the backup.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Who paid for all this?
    EI made priceless PR out of the footage. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a video of the visit on their blog.
    Personally I can’t see and IAG owned Aer Lingus voluntarily taking a financial hit on this situation. As posted abou, I’m sure they dropped a flight or two from their normal Sunday schedule.

The furor nationwide about the cost of this visit boggles my mind. Ireland was hosting a global conference and Irish companies were providing the services for the Papal visit. Thus Ireland Inc wins.
    The cost borne by the state for security and traffic control is possibly balanced by the influx of visitors and cash to the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Paid for what?

The cost of using two EI planes in a stretched fleet to transport the Pope and his entourage back to Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tenger wrote: »
    EI made priceless PR out of the footage. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a video of the visit on their blog.
    Personally I can’t see and IAG owned Aer Lingus voluntarily taking a financial hit on this situation. As posted abou, I’m sure they dropped a flight or two from their normal Sunday schedule.

The furor nationwide about the cost of this visit boggles my mind. Ireland was hosting a global conference and Irish companies were providing the services for the Papal visit. Thus Ireland Inc wins.
    The cost borne by the state for security and traffic control is possibly balanced by the influx of visitors and cash to the country.

Those A321s are not really in regular use these days though are they?

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Paid for what?

The cost of using two EI planes in a stretched fleet to transport the Pope and his entourage back to Rome.

As others have said, this was an operation that was planned (in detail), months in advance. No doubt schedules were adjusted to take account of the allocation of two A321s to papal duties. Aer Lingus is a private company so I assume the operation was conducted on commercial terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Gael23 wrote: »
    Those A321s are not really in regular use these days though are they?

They absolutely are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

I guess we can say goodbye to the free checked bag and snack/drink then.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

VG31 wrote: »
    I guess we can say goodbye to the free checked bag and snack/drink then.

https://www.cityjet.com/faq.shtml

They will "honour" the free bag but good luck getting a packet of peanuts off EI...

Terrible news for the LCY commuter traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

iancm25 wrote: »
    They will "honour" the free bag but good luck getting a packet of peanuts off EI...

It's not included in bookings for after 28 October however, and it's not as if the fares have gone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

Cos many people (including me) far prefer travelling with WX than EI.

Did the route really need saving as you say? It always seemed very popular with the business commuters to me. I don't know the financial numbers involved - if there are relevant links available that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

LXFlyer wrote: »
    They absolutely are.

Back out 9am Monday morning after seats were put back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

A coat of green paint will make those 20 year old buckets look like new!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

So will this mean EI will be flying Superjets come next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

CityJet were never going to last much longer, they've made it very clear that ACMI operations is their future and operating a sole route probably wasn't sustainable. 

The Aer Lingus brand makes the most sense to continue the route and it'll be good to see them back. My only concern is the age of the aircraft, while popular little machines, the Avro's are getting on a bit and there were reports of them suffering tech issues resulting in cancellations and delays in recent months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

A coat of green paint will make those 20 year old buckets look like new!!

Funny that the EI fleet has almost reverted to how it looked in the 90s, over the last few years it’s gone from all airbus to shamrocks featuring on turboprops, Boeing’s and now Avros, granted through leasing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

This is disappointing if not surprising news.

One interesting change:
    "New check-in closure time is 45 minutes prior to flight "

The last time I used this flight I got there 20 minutes before and straight onto the plane.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

irlrobins wrote: »

No and no!

Cityjet still flying the planes, just in Aer Lingus colours, and I've not heard anything about the RJ's leaving the LCY route!

Noxegon wrote: »
    This is disappointing if not surprising news.

One interesting change:
    "New check-in closure time is 45 minutes prior to flight "

The last time I used this flight I got there 20 minutes before and straight onto the plane.
    Just check in online so

I wonder what gates this flight will now use ?
    And also will EI do anything else with the aircraft on weekends when the LCY schedule is very reduced

JCX BXC wrote: »
    irlrobins wrote: »

No and no!

Cityjet still flying the planes, just in Aer Lingus colours, and I've not heard anything about the RJ's leaving the LCY route!
    The RJ's can't go on forever! 

The Sukhoi's were actually earmarked for the LCY route but certification is slow and won't happen before 2020 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

The Sukhoi's were actually earmarked for the LCY route but certification is slow and won't happen before 2020 I'd say.

The sukhoi's are going back is the rumour I've heard. It will be the RJ

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

Locker10a wrote: »
    Funny that the EI fleet has almost reverted to how it looked in the 90s, over the last few years it’s gone from all airbus to shamrocks featuring on turboprops, Boeing’s and now Avros, granted through leasing

whoever is in charge of fleet 1980s are gone this 2018, maybe they should look see is there any ex AL 747s hanging around... soon we will be calling it buffalo airways ////slash lingus

LeakRate wrote: »

The sukhoi's are going back is the rumour I've heard. It will be the RJ
    Whether they go back or not, the RJ will need replacement sooner or later so CityJet must be looking at its options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The RJ needed replacement years ago. They're no fun at all for taller people.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I’m going to bet if then SSJs go back, CRJs will replace the Avros

I’m going to bet if then SSJs go back, CRJs will replace the Avros
    Not LCY certified. 

Only options for the future is the SSJ once it's certified, the E-Jet/E2 or CSeries/A220 family. The A220 is limited at LCY due to its size, it's not much smaller than an A320 so Swiss can only have one on the ground at any time!

I wonder how consistently the route will be flown with aircraft in EI livery if just two are so painted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is awful. I can't see a benefit here. Down checked bags and down a drink for the same aircraft that has let me down time and again in LCY . Absolute pain in the bum for no benefit whatsoever ;

if they took a few embraers off BA and painted them green it would be a positive for the experience but now you've the same airline 'competing' against itself just like at LHR with a worse product.

You now have LHR and LCY, the two main business airports , only served from Dub, by the same company, IAG.

Edit I see its moving to Dub T2 as well so expect sheds and bussing as theres no magic gates in T2 to use ( see what I mean about a poorer product ? )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I wonder if it will be the subject of a competition comission decision. Seems ridiculous to allow the same operators, owned by the same company, operate the only flights on two arterial routes to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Is LCY slot restricted? If not its open market conditions, unlike LHR where the slot are held.

trellheim wrote: »
    This is awful. I can't see a benefit here. Down checked bags and down a drink for the same aircraft that has let me down time and again in LCY . Absolute pain in the bum for no benefit whatsoever ;

if they took a few embraers off BA and painted them green it would be a positive for the experience but now you've the same airline 'competing' against itself just like at LHR with a worse product.

You now have LHR and LCY, the two main business airports , only served from Dub, by the same company, IAG.

Edit I see its moving to Dub T2 as well so expect sheds and bussing as theres no magic gates in T2 to use ( see what I mean about a poorer product ? )

The only benefit here is for CityJet in no longer needing a sales and marketing department! Correct me if I’m wrong but does this mean they won’t sell any seats themselves anymore from Ireland ? Where else is left that they still sell their own seats? Aer Lingus also benefit as they can offer even more connections to London, and frequent EI flyers now have more options to London, business travellers especially.
    But I cant see EI being too impressed if the aircraft are constantly delayed and tech.
    Also I know all airlines have issues with cabin luggage but with EI charging for luggage I think they’ll really have issues with these planes are the lockers are tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

The only benefit here is for CityJet in no longer needing a sales and marketing department! Correct me if I’m wrong but does this mean they won’t sell any seats themselves anymore from Ireland ? Where else is left that they still sell their own seats?
    Wont be selling any seats whatsoever. LCY-FLR gone from Sep 30th and then theres LCY-DUB being tsf to Aer Lingus

• Advertisement

Shn99 wrote: »
    Wont be selling any seats whatsoever. LCY-FLR gone from Sep 30th and then theres LCY-DUB being tsf to Aer Lingus

Yup, bye bye Cityjet!
    Cityjet wrote:
    In recent years CityJet has transitioned from being an airline serving scheduled markets under its own brand to becoming a provider of capacity to customer airlines throughout Europe. Today CityJet announced that effective from October 27th it will no longer operate scheduled services marketed under its own brand.

It was coming to be fair. I'm surprised they're still operating to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

So Cityjet are becoming sub contractors as such
    How are they paid?
    I mean are they paid a flat fee to operate the route or is it paid per pax ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

kub wrote: »
    So Cityjet are becoming sub contractors as such
    How are they paid?
    I mean are they paid a flat fee to operate the route or is it paid per pax ?

Flat fee usually although for Stobart Air I think they pay EI a franchise fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Can’t see why anyone would choose WX/EI on this routeover BA unless the price difference was huge.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Can’t see why anyone would choose WX/EI on this routeover BA unless the price difference was huge.
    Same reason they choose EI vs BA to LHR, price, connecting traffic, frequent flyer status, corporate contracts etc each airline have a market they make work on their own, obviously they share a fair bit of the market but theyll both make it work, I’m sure EI haven’t signed up to this deal on a whim, they’ll have calculated if it’s worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI's product to LHR offers a much better customer experience, jet bridge boarding at both ends, better terminals, typically the nearest gates to the terminal and an on time record way better than BA. So there is a real selling point that.

No free food on BA anymore and BA will drop free food on LCY shortly

Cityjet really need to dump the RJ's and get the SSJ sorted out or get on to Airbus for a few A200 series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Do you seriously believe that, just because food is handed out during a flight with no on-the-spot-payment by passengers, they're giving it away for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

EI's product to LHR offers a much better customer experience, jet bridge boarding at both ends, better terminals, typically the nearest gates to the terminal and an on time record way better than BA. So there is a real selling point that.

Cityjet really need to dump the RJ's and get the SSJ sorted out or get on to Airbus for a few A200 series

1. Chuckle - yes but only if you want to get to LHR - for most of us working in the City LHR is useless albeit until Crossrail opens fully

2. The only reason BA will dump free food is because the only competitor will be themselves

3. Agree - can't just see why BA dont pull a few Embs of a route and paint them green. the product is horrendous otherwise.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Do you seriously believe that, just because food is handed out during a flight with no on-the-spot-payment by passengers, they're giving it away for free?

Sure blah blah blah it's all worked into the fare price, but I'd bet on it that when the perks of free food and a check in bag are gone, fares won't drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Deatr

A220 too expensive and SSJ will never be certified for LCY

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Deatr

A220 too expensive and SSJ will never be certified for LCY

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement