Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing puppy

• 19-02-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just looking for a bit of advice. We have a little jack Russell cross, she is 11 weeks old and I'm just wondering is it ok to give her a quick wash. I know it's not good for her coat to wash her very often but I'm just wondering is it ok to do it at this age. She is starting to smell a bit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Totally fine! Just make sure you use a shampoo for puppies, don't use a human shampoo because the pH levels are different. Have some treats to hand to make it a positive experience for the puppy which can help make future bathing experiences easier!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

VonVix wrote: »
    Totally fine! Just make sure you use a shampoo for puppies, don't use a human shampoo because the pH levels are different. Have some treats to hand to make it a positive experience for the puppy which can help make future bathing experiences easier!

Great thanks, I'll pick up some puppy shampoo tomorrow evening so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Great thanks, I'll pick up some puppy shampoo tomorrow evening so

Make sure to test the water's temperature the same as you would for an infant too. :)

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Make sure to test the water's temperature the same as you would for an infant too. :)

I assume lukewarm water is best

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd do the dip-the-elbow test for water temp op :)
    Also, take it very easy... Don't use the shower yet, it's likely to be too much and will frighten pup. Use a sponge to gently wet pup, gradually getting her used to having warm water poured on her.
    Also, think about how you're going to dry her. The hairdryer will provably scare her unless you've habituated her to the sound and feel of it already. No matter what, make sure she's kept toasty warm afterwards until she's fully dry.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    I'd do the dip-the-elbow test for water temp op :)
    Also, take it very easy... Don't use the shower yet, it's likely to be too much and will frighten pup. Use a sponge to gently wet pup, gradually getting her used to having warm water poured on her.
    Also, think about how you're going to dry her. The hairdryer will provably scare her unless you've habituated her to the sound and feel of it already. No matter what, make sure she's kept toasty warm afterwards until she's fully dry.

We'll have the fire lit for her to dry off, she usually lies out in front of that for a snooze

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DforDisaster

I used a plastic jug to very "gently" pour water over Percy - thinking about it now a sponge might have been handy!

The other thing I would say is to be careful not to get water in his/her ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

just to add to the very good advice above......be prepared to get pretty wet yourself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Is there anything nicer than a freshly washed puppy!!!
    Other than washing it that is!!

My terrier, who would swim the english channel happily - will dive into any stream, river, lake, pond and swim ecstatically - cowers in fear at bath time. We put a bowl with about ONE INCH of warm water in it. He is given treats before, during and after the ordeal. No water near his head/ears/eyes. We dry him off with lovely thick towels, and he dries off in front of the stove with a chewy treat. Still cowers in fear when the bath is scheduled - idiot dog!! :p

Oh and OP a photo of the puppy please?!?

Oh -- the other thing that we found that made it less of frightening experience for him was to make sure that we had a rubber bath mat in the bath so he didn't slide about the place if he tried wiggle away. Was a bit worried that his nails would get caught in the little holes, so we kept a close eye on his feet the first time.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys, Lucy didn't mind the bath too much, she sat in front of the fire to dry off and then got up in the couch with me to go asleep, picture of her attached, the one in the bed is the day we got her

Thanks for all the advice guys, Lucy didn't mind the bath too much, she sat in front of the fire to dry off and then got up in the couch with me to go asleep, picture of her attached, the one in the bed is the day we got her

Oh she is lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I cannot deal with her face! She is only the second ever black and tan JRT I have ever seen, but the first pup! Definitely love the colouring! And those eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

GORGEOUS puppy!
    Whats the cross (besides JRT)?
    Black & Tan JRTs are becoming increasingly scarce I think - imo?

aonb wrote: »
    GORGEOUS puppy!
    Whats the cross (besides JRT)?
    Black & Tan JRTs are becoming increasingly scarce I think - imo?

We don't know what her dad is, the lady we got her off hadn't intended on putting her JRT in pup. She said the neighbours dog got into the garden when her bitch was in heat. She said he is some breed of English terrier but didn't know any more than that

Advertisement