Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another reason to avoid flying Ryanair

• 19-02-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Ryanair is in the process of selling out its PAX data feed to an entiity that one would have grounds for suspecting (understatemnt) has connections with GCHQ/NSA & Co. This breach of respect for the fahrgast's* rights of privacy, is on top of their (Ryanair's) outsourced reservations infrastructure which is run by a similar gang.

*fahrgast = german for PAX = guest for the journey literally. A concept unknown to Irish carriers, who generally think in terms of cattle class etc.

Meanwhile dataprivacy.ie does nothing to protect the consumer's data privacy rights.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/enterprise/item/40773-vodafone-lands-major-ict/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

bedlam wrote: »
    So you've twice now complained that the Data protection commissioner does nothing, what exactly did they say when you contacted them bringing these issues to their attention?

This news story has only broken this afternoon. Dataprivacy.ie is under-financed and working over a supermarket in a small provincial town. The least one might do is give them some time to take action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Can you tell us in english what they are doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The nsa ghcq whatnots are so all over us by now that the battle is firmly lost. Only a revolution can revert this.

It seems an inherent state security bodies problem the same way any beaurocracy will only ever grow itself.

The security folks can't seem to help it. They always want more and more control and don't seem to have much appreciation of democratic principles.

When they finally got to Erich Mielke he genuinely couldn't understand what the peoples gripe was. He thought sure he was only protecting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Effects wrote: »
    Can you tell us in english what they are doing?

Ryanair have selected Vodafone Ireland to supply the telecoms equipment for 95% of its European locations.

Vodafone use a system called Gemalto for securing its SIMs and other hardware.

This morning Gemalto announced they had been hacked by GCHQ.

I don't see why the OP is blaming either Vodafone or Ryanair. Neither appear, currently at least, to be in cahoots with GCHQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

what is this nonesense and how is this a reason not to fly ryanair???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I'm glad the State is looking out for us all.

Such querulous hair-splitting over their methods is the only suspect thing going on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

syklops wrote: »
    Ryanair have selected Vodafone Ireland to supply the telecoms equipment for 95% of its European locations.

Vodafone use a system called Gemalto for securing its SIMs and other hardware.

This morning Gemalto announced they had been hacked by GCHQ.

I don't see why the OP is blaming either Vodafone or Ryanair. Neither appear, currently at least, to be in cahoots with GCHQ.

So as per skylops post, Ryanair are 2 steps removed from the breach point but the OP suggests they are in cahoots and actively selling out their pax data: that's some interesting logic and potentially defamatory.

Add to this the fact that the OP not only ignores all of Gemalto's other clients who
    are AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint and some 450 wireless network providers around the world
    [ https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/02/19/great-sim-heist/ ] and all the clients of those clients which would number millions and just selects Ryanair.

Worst Ryanair bashing ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

How do they know who hacked them? What are they gonna do about it?

What's gonna be done to GCHQ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

KaaaaaaPOW wrote: »

What's gonna be done to GCHQ?

Nothing because the UK politicians in common with politicians the planet over are either plain stupid or stupid liars.

Plain stupid if they didn't know what GCHQ were doing. Or stupid liars if they did know, lied about it and thought no one would ever find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

In my entirely non legal opinion this surely is the type of OP post that can be considered defamatory and get people into trouble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

This defamation libel stuff is going to be the end of free speech eventually. You can say anything you like as long as you don't say anything that may inhibit someone with a bigger legal department from profit making. On some boards you can't even tell the truth anymore. I.e. dodgy car dealers, concert venues. Because someone may object and drag you to court over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This thread is pure click bait which I would normally read in the Sindo..

skimpydoo wrote: »
    This thread is pure click bait which I would normally read in the Sindo..

So you like reading it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

So you like reading it?
    No I did not like reading it, where did I say I did.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Impetus wrote: »
    Ryanair is in the process of selling out its PAX data feed to an entiity that one would have grounds for suspecting (understatemnt) has connections with GCHQ/NSA & Co. This breach of respect for the fahrgast's* rights of privacy, is on top of their (Ryanair's) outsourced reservations infrastructure which is run by a similar gang.

*fahrgast = german for PAX = guest for the journey literally. A concept unknown to Irish carriers, who generally think in terms of cattle class etc.

Meanwhile dataprivacy.ie does nothing to protect the consumer's data privacy rights.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/enterprise/item/40773-vodafone-lands-major-ict/

In the Data Protection Commissioner's defense they have been allocated more funding and staff. I feel they should have more power but bureaucracy in this country does not help.

With regard to the GCHQ relations with that provider, Vodafone are providing connectivity across Europe, through fibre cables (most likely) going through GCHQ that would be the case with any other provider. They're only providing connectivity, not hosting the service correct? The passenger data is not hard for the GCHQ to find, surely the airports have been hacked by them anyway.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    So you like reading it?[/QUOTE
    No I did not like reading it, where did I say I did.

You read the Sindo for the clickbait.

Really though I'm just wasting your time like what you did to everyone else by coming in here to bump the thread and let us all know you think it's clickbait.

Advertisement