Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Won by 4 wickets

• 19-02-2015 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm not a huge cricket fan but have taken an interest with the world cup being on and have really enjoyed some of the games.

There is something that doesn't make much sense to me

World Cup Pool B, Nelson:

UAE 285-7 (50 overs): Anwar 67, Khan 45, Chatara 3-42

Zimbabwe 286-6 (48 overs): Williams 76*, Tauqir 2-51

Zimbabwe won by four wickets

Above is the result of last nights game. It says they won by 4 wickets. I think it should say they won by 1 run, because regardless of the numbers of wickets taken they needed to get 1 more run than UAE to win.

Am I missing something?, Is there a reason for this wording being used? You win by scoring more runs and the numbers of wickets/overs are irrelevant to the actual result

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Won by X runs means team who set the total defended it.

Won by X wickets means the winning team chased the total with X wickets left.

Makes more sense in tests as there's 4 innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DG7

It makes a bit more sense now.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Won by X runs means team who set the total defended it.

Won by X wickets means the winning team chased the total with X wickets left.

Makes more sense in tests as there's 4 innings.

additionally it will also be noted in the score of limited overs cricket how many balls were remaining.

Advertisement