Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling property privately?

Options
  • 19-02-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

Does such thing exist in Ireland.

Pretty much all properties I see advertised, are advertised by estate agents or auction houses, etc...

Are there no people selling properties privately?
    Are there any complications in Ireland in relation to private sale which make it not worth it, risky or maybe illegal?

I undestand there's good bit of fee for estate agent for property sales, to selling privately could save a few quid.

What this all about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There's been various sites about this dotted around with various ways to sell. The fact is an agent is probably more likely to get you a better price.

Also how are you going to take a booking deposit, you wouldn't have any insurance in place; probably easily overcome by asking the solicitor to take it.

It's send up a red flag for me, in general, I have to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

From what I know of the process, and if I was selling what I would want to know and have evidence of is the availability of funds and the situation of the buyers before accepting an offer. Buyer and seller need to have a solicitor ready to go as the booking deposit will still need to be paid to the vendor's solcitor. Insurance isn't so much of an issue as the purchase of a house is caveat emptor, and solcitors are accountable. As a buyer you still need a homebuyers survey as well as the mortgage valuation survey etc, all the legal side will then be dealt with by our solicitor as normal.

The estate agent provides a marketplace to allow purchasers to find houses that vendors want to sell. They conduct the dirty business of negotiations and act as a go-between for the parties actually conducting the sale. They are not a legal requirement just the place most buyers know to go to, to find houses on the market - and they charge a fee to do it.

I dislike paying for middle men and have bought and sold privately as well as with agents. I far prefer private selling and buying because you can ask a question (or lots) directly. Depends what you're comfortable with negotiation wise and whether you can reach your target audience without an EA. Not yet met an agent who I think deserved their fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

My friend just moved in to her new house that she found on donedeal :-) everything went perfectly smoothly, maybe she was lucky, but I think once you have a solicitor involved everything is safe. She gave a deposit to the solicitor, he held it, she still got surveyors etc, everything was done the exact same only the seller didn't have to pay an auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭berrecka

We recently bought the house we had been renting. No need for estate agents - we asked our landlords were they willing to sell, they were, so we both went to our solicitors. That element of it was pretty pain free and I didn't even notice the absence of an estate agent (I have bought and sold before through an agent).

I guess, without knowing how to make contact with potential buyers/sellers, you need the established routes facilitated by estate agents.

Advertisement