Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will "the dig" work on windows 8

• 19-02-2015 11:16pm

Hi, I've recently bought an alienware laptop which came with windows 8.

I have zero experience with modern PC gaming and windows 8.

When I was into PC gaming it was all DOS

I had bought every Lucas arts point and click adventure until "the dig" was released, which my PC did not meet the minimum requirements. The alienware came preloaded with steam which I have also never used

Checked it out and and couldn't believe the dig could be purchased. (The one that got away)

However, it states windows xp or windows vista. Probably a stupid question, but could I expect this to run on windows 8, anyone have any joy with this combo. I have never used any version of windows with regards to gaming

I have googled it a bit but I am not sure if I am finding work arounds regarding the original version or the recent steam release.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If it works on Vista, I'd say it has a pretty good chance of running on 8, at least if you run in compatibility mods. I got some of them to work on 7 a while ago, but I haven't tried anything recently. I don't see any major complaints about incompatibility on the steam page.

If you want to be sure of it running absolutely smoothly, you could wait a little while; gog.com are starting to bring out some Lucasarts games and I'd say it could only be a matter of time before they get the dig out. They usually take compatibility issues very seriously and try to have all games compatible with the latest OS, whereas steam might do a bit of updates but are not interested in spending too much time and effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Windows 8 runs almost everything Windows 7 can run. There can be some issues with modern games (these get fixed usually) but rarely there's problems with older games from GoG not working properly and these mightn't see fixes.

For nearly every gaming related thing though it seems fine (I have 8 on the laptop and 7 on the PC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

There should be a link on the Dig store page for the forum for that game (click "view Discussions"). I found this thread where some people say that it works on Windows 7 and 8.1 64bit:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/6040/discussions/0/864972621116499255/

As nesf said, GoG is a great way to get older games as they only release versions of games that have been patched to work on modern PCs. For example they have started adding more lusarts games recently:

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&devpub=disney&page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I had it running on Win 7 through Steam in December as someone gave it to me as part of my Reddit Secret Santa

Wow, thanks everyone your advice,

Really appreciated

Have a great weekend!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's usually good help for these in the steam community guides or on GoG's forums but if not you could spend an evening googling it to get it working properly. I spent an evening two days ago getting tomb Raider 2 to run in the right resolution and getting the movies working in it. I had to make my own community guide on steam since there wasn't one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I bought the King's Quest anthology pack off Steam, and half the games wouldn't run... got a complete refund no problem. If The Dig is available on Steam too there's no harm trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

To get a bunch of old adventure games to work, look at http://www.scummvm.org . I think the GOG version of the Dig uses it.

Advertisement