Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Meter - relocation during refurb

Options
  • 19-02-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Meter was disconnected in an old house under 2 years ago. We are currently looking to refurb the house but need to use a workshop close to the house to do work in and store tools. The current meter is in a dangerous place (damp & roof falling in) and will need to need to be moved to the workshop.

Given that the workshop will need to be wired, would the esb connect to it if I submit a wiring report etc? It will be on the same site as the old connection just moved to an entirely separate building temporarily.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 emtulsk

Hi,

Since this is disconnected less than 2 years the existing MPRN wont be terminated with ESB Networks, but you will need an ETCI cert for reconnection, which you will need anyway if you are going to move it. Given that it is an old house, I'm assuming that it is an overhead service (i.e. clipped to the gable from the pole with the meter inside), so if the existing length of cable overhead will reach to the workshop, you should have no problems.

Easiest way to get this moving is to call ESB Networks on 1850 372 757 and explain you want to get a site visit to see about a meter relocation. ESBN regs at the moment say the meter has to go in a meter box but given this will only be temporary, you mightn't need to. Someone will call out and see what options are there for moving the service, but bear in mind that since you will be moving it to a different building, they might want to treat it as a new connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

Yeah it's based on a farm and the workshop previously had electricity coming in from the house. I presume the connection before was a farm connection, powering the house and the out buildings...not too sure about that. Maybe I'll get it reconnected as a farm connection as it is on the same site. In regards to the overhead service, it is clipped to the gable end of the house coming straight from the pole but the line of site from the pole to the workshop has the house in the way and since there will be work done on it a pole may have to be erected to raise the line to prevent it from being too close of proximity to the house.

The electrician has a friend that works in the Esb so maybe he'll get him out for a look.

Advertisement