Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hooligans

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Saipanne wrote: »
    Is this a soccer only phenomenon?

Dont see much difference in hooligans at a football match and what happens most of the times when the G8 is in town somewhere.
    But then it apparently serves a good cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Where are you guys hanging out to see hooliganism at or around every English game? In 20+ years and 400 matches across five divisions I've seen two incidences of what I'd call "hooliganism" and one of those was back in 1994.

I'm sure it exists but not to level that people would think from reading some posts on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Where are you guys hanging out to see hooliganism at or around every English game? In 20+ years and 400 matches across five divisions I've seen two incidences of what I'd call "hooliganism" and one of those was back in 1994.

I'm sure it exists but not to level that people would think from reading some posts on here.

I think we've a few wannabe Danny Dyer's on here tbh, letting on to know about tear ups up and down every manor in England.

The secret pact between the FA and Sky also sounds absolutely barmy.

That poverty comment is just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

xAlPaz.png

Gear taken of Roma fans heading for a match at Lazio... SICK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Kammy being very good on SSN there. Just saying that he can understand people getting sketchy if something has happened with another colour in their past, but that the paris stuff was just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Carpentry wrote: »
    weapons...

Any arrests, cant just hope you keep catching these hoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

klose wrote: »
    Id imagine the roma "fans" will return the favour in rotterdam.

Potentially but at the ground away fans enter via a separate tunnel. De Kuip will be like fort knox next thursday, the cops are well used to dealing with bull**** there.. If there's trouble, it'll be in the city centre. That said, Rotterdam isn't exactly as scenic as Rome.

xAlPaz.png

About 18 years ago or so, Ajax and Feyenoord hooligans met in a field next to a motorway at Beverwijk for what turned into a pitched battle. People were pulling over at the side of the road and getting stuck in. In the end there was an Ajax fan killed after his mates ran and left him to be battered with a hammer and stabbed and the cops recovered all sorts of weapons including knives, baseball bats, hammers and crowbars

There is a seriously nasty undercurrent in football over here that doesn't get mentioned. No away fans sterilises De Klassieker but it simply wasn't possible to have the fans in the same area without a ****load of trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Happens every weekend across Europe, and in England for that matter. It's a culture that will never go away tbh.

This unfortunately. Even here in peaceful Switzerland massive security operations have to be put in place on the trains and around the stadium when Basel play either of the Zurich teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

xAlPaz.png

The thing is, these police pictures are often fake or manipulated.

I saw a picture of stuff that the police supposedly confiscated from Feyenoord fans.

Z6sWX4E.jpg

That stick is one of those selfie sticks you can buy at the Colloseum :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Only places I've seen trouble was at Upton park v Cardiff, I've been to Upton Park many times and a good few other stadiums in England. FC Zurich v Basel was the other time, I've been to just about every stadium in Switzerland. Never seen anything of note here. Basel v Zurich in 2006, was a pretty big one when Zurich pipped the league from Basel in the last minute of the game, I didn't see it first hand but YouTube it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Still **** going on in Rome.
    Some Feyenoord fans booked for a week and have now had the pleasure the last few days to have been beaten up and stabbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

inforfun wrote: »
    Some Feyenoord fans booked for a week and have now had the pleasure the last few days to have been beaten up and stabbed.
    Normal fans or hooligans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Don't they stab you in the arse in Italy.

CSF wrote: »
    Normal fans or hooligans?

Normal fans i would think. It was school holidays this last week as well in Holland
    niallo27 wrote: »
    No idea.
    Never been stabbed in Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it's more widely reported on when it's football anyway.

though some football teams aren't just football clubs, they're part of a multi-sport club, so you'll get the fans/fights at other sports too.
    i've seen youtube vids for hooligans at basketball matches, partizan belgrade one of the teams in it.

serbs & croats were fighting at a tennis tournament, melbourne i think

Genuinely don't know what will happen on thursday, Roma are out for blood and the SCF will happily get involved in a fight. That said i think (and hope) if there's trouble it'll be away from the ground. Just going straight from the train to the stadium, not going to stick around Rotterdam before or after with a few of them lurking about looking to stab fans on their own (i'll be on my own at the game)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Apparently Rugby League games in Papau New Guinea see insane amounts of violence.

niallo27 wrote: »

Seems indeed the modus operandi for Roma fans

Read an interview today in the Dutch papers with a guy who got beaten up and ended up in the hospital after the match on Thursday.
    Went back to his hotel by taxi, got there and had a "welcome committee" of 10 or 20 people waiting for him.
    Ended up with a broken elbow and a stab in his upper leg (guess they missed his arse) in the hospital.

Taxi driver had been on the phone as soon as he got in that taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

https://twitter.com/br_uk/status/571050906461999104

Maybe it's not racist. You never know. Bothers me that it was thrown when Gervinho was celebrating in front of them and not at another time though.

Editl: Looks like all of twitter might have overreacted. Shocker :pac: . It might have just fallen onto the pitch while being batted around among the fans, which makes more sense.

Tancredi Palmeri seems to have been one of the first people to have mentioned it on twitter. If I had known that, I'd have waited for definitive proof. I really hate that man.

• Advertisement

Was thrown at 1 point. Not when Roma scored.

Was a matter of Italians being Italians. Oh look, a banana that must be adressed to Gervinho

At the Feyenoord team: Vermeer, Kongolo, Vilhena, Kazim, Nelom and with a stretch El Amahdi and Bouhlarouz.

Would have been faster just naming the white players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The reason why they stab in the arse is because there are more severe sentences for stabbing somebody above the waist.I think it may be deemed attempted murder if it's above the waist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

why has play been stopped in this game tonight ?

was it due to poverty and thuggery behaviour

The reason why they stab in the arse is because there are more severe sentences for stabbing somebody above the waist.I think it may be deemed attempted murder if it's above the waist.

it's because you won't kill them

Was thrown at 1 point. Not when Roma scored.

Was a matter of Italians being Italians. Oh look, a banana that must be adressed to Gervinho

At the Feyenoord team: Vermeer, Kongolo, Vilhena, Kazim, Nelom and with a stretch El Amahdi and Bouhlarouz.

Would have been faster just naming the white players.

may as well name all the non whites that played for chelsea & excuse the lads on the paris metro with that kind of thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

ricero wrote: »
    why has play been stopped in this game tonight ?

There you go again with your poverty bullshÍt!! What's your deal???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

D+

batistuta9 wrote: »
    may as well name all the non whites that played for chelsea & excuse the lads on the paris metro with that kind of thinking

With the small difference that that metro clip had sound and you (and me) have no idea if anything was said to Gervinho tonight.

Read the comments. Apparently it was a black guy throwing it.
    Dont know, the actual throwing wasnt on tv.

With the small difference that that metro clip had sound and you (and me) have no idea if anything was said to Gervinho tonight.

Read the comments. Apparently it was a black guy throwing it.
    Dont know, the actual throwing wasnt on tv.

that's not what i meant. i thought you listed off all the black/arab feyenoord players as if that was a reason why the fans wouldn't throw it/could be racist

batistuta9 wrote: »
    that's not what i meant. i thought you listed off all the black/arab feyenoord players as if that was a reason why the fans wouldn't throw it/could be racist

Been in that stadium for decades.
    The times that bananas (with a racist throught) were thrown there happened in the mid 80's when Gullit played there the first time with PSV after his transfer there from Feyenoord.

Feyenoord fans are no choir boys and i would certainly not claim that none of the 50000 there tonight isnt a big fat racist.
    But it is not the standard for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

At least them Roma thugs won me a few quid tonight. Disgusting scenes once again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

At least them Roma thugs won me a few quid tonight. Disgusting scenes once again tonight.

How are roma thugs?

As already addressed, the banana incident was because inflatable bananas are a thing at Feyenoord, in a similar vein to how they are at Man City. It was found when he was taking a throw, by Totti i believe. It had just been bounced around the section prior to that and got noticed when Gervinho took a throw. That was towards the end of the first half, it's important i point that out in light of sensationalist articles claiming it led to the teams being taken off and Feyenoord fans being tarred as racist.

Teams were taken off the pitch because Te Vrede was very harshly sent off early in the second half. Given that De Kuip is one of the most hostile atmospheres in western Europe (in line with what you would typically see in Turkey,Greece,Eastern Europe) and that up to that point the referee had not given Feyenoord a single decision all game and ignored a red card offence when De Rossi elbowed Kazim Richards, the fans soured, chanting "UEFA MAFIA" en masse. Ref subsequently ****s a brick (or throws a hissy fit, however you see it) and pulls the teams off. As the player's tunnel leads under Vak W, one of the most notorious sections, the match officials and Roma players are pelted as they run in.

Source: I was at the match and had a front row seat for all of this.

spiralism wrote: »
    the referee had not given Feyenoord a single decision all game and ignored a red card offence when De Rossi elbowed Kazim Richards,

http://i.imgur.com/qxKIJL9.webm

That is where it all started. Kazim being elbowed in the face while the goal line ref is watching from 3 meters and does **** all.

It was one of the worst displays of refereeing i have ever seen.
    Start to think this guy was sent out with a mission by UEFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

spiralism wrote: »
    As already addressed, the banana incident was because inflatable bananas are a thing at Feyenoord, in a similar vein to how they are at Man City. It was found when he was taking a throw, by Totti i believe. It had just been bounced around the section prior to that and got noticed when Gervinho took a throw. That was towards the end of the first half, it's important i point that out in light of sensationalist articles claiming it led to the teams being taken off and Feyenoord fans being tarred as racist.

Teams were taken off the pitch because Te Vrede was very harshly sent off early in the second half. Given that De Kuip is one of the most hostile atmospheres in western Europe (in line with what you would typically see in Turkey,Greece,Eastern Europe) and that up to that point the referee had not given Feyenoord a single decision all game and ignored a red card offence when De Rossi elbowed Kazim Richards, the fans soured, chanting "UEFA MAFIA" en masse. Ref subsequently ****s a brick (or throws a hissy fit, however you see it) and pulls the teams off. As the player's tunnel leads under Vak W, one of the most notorious sections, the match officials and Roma players are pelted as they run in.

Source: I was at the match and had a front row seat for all of this.

Wow.

You're literally justifying the whole incident of the team's being taken off. No condemnation or anything.

Well it's well known Feyenoord has a fair share of ****wit supporters and that's what happens if you enrage them to that extent, then go "fúck you guys, im taking my ball and going home". Players safety my ****ing hole, he sends off Te Vrede and pulls the teams off almost immediately afterwards because the reaction was the entire stadium chanting against UEFA and claiming a fix.

Taking them off made the situation considerably worse. Fans were ****ing livid as it was and there were people all over the place claiming even pre match that UEFA would have an agenda to see the back of Feyenoord. What are they gonna think when he ignores a red for De Rossi (in the penalty area i might add) with a linesman directly in front of the incident, then sends off Te Vrede extremely harshly before immediately marching the teams off?

Im not so much "justifying the incident that caused it", im saying he shouldnt have taken them off in the first place. As already stated, the fans have already felt there's an agenda against the club and marching them off immediately after a bull**** red was just gonna drive them mental. Actually quite similar situation to something that happened in America in the bottlegate game about 15 years ago, where a ref made a total balls of a replay decision, marched them off and nearly incited a riot, then was forced to bring them back out and finish the match under a hail of debris. Naturally i condemn anyone who was acting the bollocks though, figured at least that goes without saying.

If the game was in Greece or Turkey, the exact same would have happened and it would have been universally acknowledged that enraging them to that extent was extremely unwise.

http://i.imgur.com/qxKIJL9.webm

That is where it all started. Kazim being elbowed in the face while the goal line ref is watching from 3 meters and does **** all.

It was one of the worst displays of refereeing i have ever seen.
    Start to think this guy was sent out with a mission by UEFA.

Mulder was given a red card from the bench for being "over-exuberant" when celebrating Manu's goal, given that he left the technical area celebrating. However, after both of Roma's goals i saw half their team run on to the field and thought nothing of it. Unbelievably tacky.

You're right, this suggests that he was sent out with an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

You are telling me that right now there has not been a reduction in the amount of people engaging in thuggery in and around football matches since the early 90's? really?

The drop in Thuggery is nothing to do with Ticket Prices, it's to do with the extreme punishment these lads receive from the courts that brought an end to the carnage scenes of the 80's, Football Hooligans were getting longer sentences than Rapists

Most modern day ''Casuals'' for the most part have money, decent jobs, they need to for the scene, like a bloody catwalk these days at the matches.

Advertisement