Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bareroot strawberries

• 20-02-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

Are there any garden centres in Sligo that sell bare root strawberries?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Are there any garden centres in Sligo that sell bare root strawberries?

I would prefer to go to the likes of Thompson and Morgan for bare roots, it's probably about the right time too. Elsanta, Elvira, Honeyoye, Cambridge Favourite, Cambridge Vigour, Gento are probably the best bets, and using a mix of these will give a long cropping period. Just make sure the plants are free of virus and mildew and you should get decent crops for several years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Thanks for your reply Marhay70, I see Thompson and Morgan are based in Suffolk England, Do they deliver quickly?

T&M usually deliver to a set schedule when it comes to plants. If their schedule for a plant is March then they'll despatch all orders in March, if it's September they'll despatch in September etc. I'd imagine they'd despatch strawberries in March/April as that would be optimum planting time.

Ive looked at T&ms website and it looks like they don't deliver bare root strawberries to Ireland.

Try Parcel Motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pretty sure aldi and or lidl are doing these right now too.
    Why not wait a month or two and get ones in pots to plant out when it warms up a bit?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Pretty sure aldi and or lidl are doing these right now too.
    Why not wait a month or two and get ones in pots to plant out when it warms up a bit?

Would they be any good? I've seen bad reviews about Aldi ones, basically producing little to no fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Personally I wouldnt bother with bare root, they are not going to fruit any better than potted ones. Just choose a tasty variety , keep the slugs away and feed and you'll have plenty for years to come, most strawberries spread like weeds in my experience. I recommend avoiding Elsanta as its not great on flavour.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kampik

I didn't have problem with lidl, aldi ones last year when I started growing strawberries. I didn't see any yet in either shops yet but I think Dealz had some bare roots.
    I thought that I bought just enough to start my garden but as soon as they started sending runners ( I think I read somewhere up to 200 per plant per each year) I've realized that I bought way too many and ended up supplying everybody who I knew with little strawberry plants :D The best thing was that even the new runners produced fruits.

Supercell wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt bother with bare root, they are not going to fruit any better than potted ones. Just choose a tasty variety , keep the slugs away and feed and you'll have plenty for years to come, most strawberries spread like weeds in my experience. I recommend avoiding Elsanta as its not great on flavour.

Any ideas on a "tasty variety" with good crop yield?

• Advertisement
Advertisement