Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Sugar

Options
  • 20-02-2015 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Can this be bought in bulk anywhere?
    When i say bulk i mean in larger quantities than one would normally see in supermarkets?

tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd try an Asian or Indian shop. I've never seen big bags of the stuff but they do have good sized blocks. I'm sure if you wanted the owners might arrange to get you bigger amounts but YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

A block, yes thats what i'd love ideally.
    Might be worth a shot, cheers.

(i assume it keeps well?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I bought a jar in a supermarket and I later realised I could have got 10 times as much in an Asian store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Slattsy wrote: »
    A block, yes thats what i'd love ideally.
    Might be worth a shot, cheers.

(i assume it keeps well?)

I bought some in an Asian supermarket, and it's a big jar, maybe double the size of a jar of peanut butter, and it was really cheap. Can't remember how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Jaggery is the name for Indian palm sugar, usually comes in a block that you grate or cut with a heavy chopper as its very dense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

katydid wrote: »
    I bought some in an Asian supermarket
    I saw similar, maybe a 1L or 800g jar, looked like it was separated. It was in a Filipino shop in dun laoghaire.

Some of these Asian shops sell to takeaways and restaurants and can have bigger and cheaper (per kilo) bigger sizes of stuff out back. Many are stuck for space so do not have it out front, so definitely try asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Do they sell coconut palm sugar? I usually buy the packs of organic coconut sugar in the health food shop but it's very dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Do they sell coconut palm sugar? I usually buy the packs of organic coconut sugar in the health food shop but it's very dear.

Me too. Would be interested. Has anyone ever bought coconut sugar in the Asian shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

I get mine from I herb. Love it.

rustyzip wrote: »
    I get mine from I herb. Love it.

So do I! It would be handier to get it local though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

So do I! It would be handier to get it local though!

It's much much cheaper from iherb and if I stuck to purely food items (raw) I don't get charged. Customs.

rustyzip wrote: »
    It's much much cheaper from iherb and if I stuck to purely food items (raw) I don't get charged. Customs.

Unfortunately until they start doing free shipping again it's not worth it :(

Advertisement