Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure how to approach

Options
  • 20-02-2015 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm currently working a part-time job but I'm absolutely miserable in it. The hours are crap, I feel I'm usually not actually needed as the place usually actually isn't busy enough to justify having extra staff in.

Anyway, I want to leave and start looking for something else. I'm not really sure how to approach the situation with my current employer though. Do I let them know I'm looking elsewhere and ask to use them as a referee on my CV? The thing is they've been good to me in the last few years in terms of finding me hours but I feel I've outgrown the place and no longer enjoy working there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

thelad95 wrote: »
    Ok I'm currently working a part-time job but I'm absolutely miserable in it. The hours are crap, I feel I'm usually not actually needed as the place usually actually isn't busy enough to justify having extra staff in.

Anyway, I want to leave and start looking for something else. I'm not really sure how to approach the situation with my current employer though. Do I let them know I'm looking elsewhere and ask to use them as a referee on my CV? The thing is they've been good to me in the last few years in terms of finding me hours but I feel I've outgrown the place and no longer enjoy working there.

I don't see a need to tell them your looking for work..

Go out there and see what there is, send out CV's, state "references on request".. then if you get a suitable offer you can approach your current employer for a reference..

Yes this employer has been good to you, but everyone deserves opportunities to improve their lot, if your current employer doesn't provide the opportunity then go out and find one yourself.

Good Luck !!

Advertisement