Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Listening to Grace about it earlier, I've taken away that Zaslav is gonna focus on big screen events only so streaming films/tv will take a backseat or the axe for the moment.

Also sounds like he's mostly focussed on making a money machine with blockbusters .. but I am guessing there won't be a clear picture until he puts a Creative in charge of Production (not a director/writer.. a producer). That person will probably give their vision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You'd think the billion dollar success of Joker would give these types a hint that audiences don't necessarily want giant multimillion, fairground blockbusters; modest budgets can yield the best result.

Also hoping the Dune TV series isn't in the firing line. No mention of it yet, ans obviously a little off topic to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think there's a distinction between HBO and HBO Max, as in the likes House of the Dragon and the Last of Us should be safe as they weren't HBO Max exclusive.

I'm honestly uncertain on where the Dune show falls in that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So HBO Max is (soon-to-be-was?) what? Sort of a half-way point between TV and theatre? Surely that was the point of HBO? Or was it just for streaming movies? I mean would something like Dune part 2 go: Cinema 3 months => HBO Max 3 months => HBO? Or a TV HBO Max movie (Like Batgirl originally) go HBO Max 3/6 months => HBO? Or are they totally separate platforms and ne'er the twain shall meet? Seems a heck of a way to gouge more money, What next? HBO... uh Home Cinema? see all WB movies at same time as cinema?

Dune The Sisterhood hadn't even occurred to me! Yeah hopefully it's still got the green light.

The only rumour I'd heard about HBO Max, again I think it was from Grace, was that there's talk of it only having a year left. Not sure what that means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ThePott

I find Grace to be an insufferable plank but what she's saying is accurate if I'm understanding her.

HBO Max will only have a year left as by next Summer, Max will have merged with Discovery+ into whatever this streaming platform is. As for what exactly that looks like is still up for some debate, as far as content and quality goes. Although there's certainly a lot of red flags that the next streamer won't be a patch on HBO Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Another image of the (now defunct) Batgirl movie has been shared by one of the directors online. Adil El Arbi is in the middle of the shot with Leslie Grace on the left and Michael Keaton is on the right while on set on Glasgow.

I have to wonder what type of scene was being discussed here on set before it got the axe by WBD.

I saw the image from an ign article which is linked below. Although it originally came from one of El Arbi's Instagram stories.

Meh, it's so hard to even register the emotional reactions people seem to have about Grace anymore.

She's put in years of work and comes across as trying to stay grounded in the business the whole time. I've gotten solid understandings of many situations from her.

To each their own. I think she's a stirrer who has a somewhat toxic fanbase that worship her and even when she's wrong, she won't admit it. Plenty of 'scoopers' like that out there, she also just has weird biases for whatever reason. Never been a fan personally.

Yeah each their own.

I can't remember if I've seen anyone giving her flak willing to step up and mention anyone else they considered as a useful provider of similar types of business side info.

• Advertisement

I don't think that really gives her free reign though or make her any more believable. A lot of these scoop people tend to know everything after the fact. None of them had a clue Batgirl was cancelled. Hell, Grace even said it wasn't true and that "nobody" believe it. ElMayimbe is a guy who used to have some good scoops but totally bought into his own hype and doesn't do much of the stuff anymore and now works for a more reputable one. I used to be well into scoopers but realised pretty quick it was a lot of bluffing and educated guess work, where they always have something they can point to that will get them off the hook. DanielRPK is another one but again, broken clock like the rest of them. MyTimeToShine posts a lot of rumours and speculation, whether it's worth believing or not. ViewerAnon is another one that's been around a good while and has provided some worthwhile scoops but as always with these people, grain of salt and all that.

Depends on alternatives beyond that. If you want legit info from trades and scoops, you're not going to get anything that could tarnish the studio or spoil a film, cause it will hurt their outlet but their are people who break exclusives but more industry focused.

I don't know if that counts as stepping up. Again, plenty of people like Grace and her content, I find her fanbase to be arrogant arses online and her info to be spotty at best. She's not the only one guilty of it but she's pretty abrasive, especially when called out.

Nah, I'm looking for the business side of things. Sure scoops can be a part of the business but, alone, they don't help me build a picture of the industry for myself. As for stepping up for anyone .. I can't see anyone who didn't get a bit dunked on there so not to worry... plus none of em mentioned for the business side info.

Like I said, all of them are to be taken with a grain of salt, don't think any scooper is worth the time or trust tbh.

I didn't realise you wanted industry people. Just follow any reporter who works for Deadline Hollywood, The Hollywood Reporter or Variety and you'll have your fill. Justin Kroll is one that pops into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Oliver whose show is on HBO and had for years taken the piss out of AT&T about being a bad business daddy has a line last night about his shows new business daddy Discovery...

I do get the vague sense that you are burning down my network for the insurance money

Pretty much sums it up really with cancellling everything for tax right offs.

I had a right laugh at that. I wonder does it make sense moneywise.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Sorry a little off topic from DC stuff but kinda related!

I read in an article yesterday, Warner Bros Discovery is planning on moving HBO Max to Discovery+ in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,697 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Birds of Prey was really good fun! A proper actual full on comic book movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have the HBO max app, and it is very unstable. constantly losing connectivity. If the Discovery+ app works better, they should use that as their base.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Includes some Batgirl, Jim, Batman and Firefly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ah here. You have to feel some sympathy for this little girl. Her dad had said that she was being filmed to star alongside Leslie Grace while doing a scene which sets out of the beginnings of Batgirl in the movie.

Her friends in school were reported to be really excited to see her in this movie. If the movie was put out for a limited release in the cinema particularly to ones based in the Glasgow area. They could have went to see her in it to allow her have her moment in the limelight. They eventually became devastated when the official word came from WBD to cancel the movie.

She was actually treated like a superstar when she was on set with Leslie Grace while they were filming their scenes for the movie.

It sad to read from one perspective that all of that hard work has now seemingly gone to waste.

• Advertisement

Aquaman 2 has been pushed from March 17th 2023 to Christmas Day 2023.

Shazam 2 now moves from December 21st 2023 to takes its place on March 17th.

The Batgirl directors say they tried to log onto the servers and copy the movie onto the phones before they got locked out the servers so they could pirate their work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On the one hand, I can sorta see why WB would have done that, if only from an employer's PoV when firing employees. But on the other, larger hand, it's a really shítty reminder that these properties are not the directors' to play with and are nothing more than IPs or commodities. The creatives behind the final feature-film nothing more than custodians.

It's entirely unsurprising, they don't want another situation like they had with Snyder stealing the footage.

Apparently they're doing 'funeral' screenings of the movie for cast and crew before locking it in the vault.

Via the Hollywood Reporter, so presumably a fairly solid source; feels like it's only a matter of time before the footage leaks. This hasn't gone away - though given it was all for tax purposes, presumably there's no chance WB will flip on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's the corporate story that gets more and more bizarre; now I'm definitely wondering what the projections are for Black Adam, 'cos if WB are short of cash, and need it to be a mega-hit ... yikes. We'll certainly find out just how dependably a box-office draw The Rock is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No question that 'Discovery' has absolutely no idea what they're doing with Warner Bros and are proving just how destructive corporate takeovers can be.

That said, the tweet is a little more dramatic than the story it's paraphrased from: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/aquaman-shazm-sequel-release-dates-1235191860/

Edit: actually the reporter did tweet it. Ugh, frustrating when the aggregation accounts just recycle content rather than quote retweeting!

• Advertisement

Well, I hope Lin is prepared to field all those Batgirl/Flash questions

Advertisement