Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre in Skerries

Options
  • 20-02-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Can you let me know when  will be able to get eFibre in Church St. Skerries please. It's available in Skerries but not yet in Church St.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

AldeaROB wrote: »
    Can you let me know when  will be able to get eFibre in Church St. Skerries please. It's available in Skerries but not yet in Church St.

Hi AldeaROB

Plans for efibre in skerries have been completed and at present there are no further details or indication of what other areas will be included in the next phase of planning for skerries. We should have more news on an update to plans in mid to late 2015.

Although the efibre map indicates that efibre has launched in your area by means of the shaded green zone this does not mean the efibre will be available to all locations and lines within your area or the shaded green zone.

This is one of the main reasons why there is a message located above the map stating:
    Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool.

I can confirm that church street is currently connected directly to the exchange, this can happen even if a cabinet is in range. Lines connected directly to the exchange are not served via local cabinets and utilise slightly different cable path infrastructure which currently is not included in the existing plans for efibre.

efibre operations have confirmed that works on a new product to offer directly fed lines have been agreed and hopes are that they are will be implemented and available within 12 months.

Also I advise checking out the map called "NGA fibre broadband Network" here : http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

Hi AldeaROB

Plans for efibre in skerries have been completed and at present there are no further details or indication of what other areas will be included in the next phase of planning for skerries. We should have more news on an update to plans in mid to late 2015.

Although the efibre map indicates that efibre has launched in your area by means of the shaded green zone this does not mean the efibre will be available to all locations and lines within your area or the shaded green zone.

This is one of the main reasons why there is a message located above the map stating:
    Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool.

I can confirm that church street is currently connected directly to the exchange, this can happen even if a cabinet is in range. Lines connected directly to the exchange are not served via local cabinets and utilise slightly different cable path infrastructure which currently is not included in the existing plans for efibre.

efibre operations have confirmed that works on a new product to offer directly fed lines have been agreed and hopes are that they are will be implemented and available within 12 months.

Also I advise checking out the map called "NGA fibre broadband Network" here : http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Thanks
    Al

Hello Al

Is there any documentation available outlining what exactly the issues are around direct fed lines to exchanges. It looks like this problem / issue has been discussed for more than a year. I would love to know what the technical issue is - can you advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I don't think it's fair all these people around me in my area get VDSL but because in connected direct to the exchange I'm left behind with ADSL2+ and the fact that most of them pay less for a faster connection isn't fair either.

Exchanges in fibre areas should have been updated with the cabinets in the area these works were been done on.
    The speed of the connection I have now is fine at 14Mb/s but the upload at 0.60Mb/s is pretty much useless for uploading anything .

rordeb wrote: »
    Hi AldeaROB

Thanks
    Al

Hello Al

Is there any documentation available outlining what exactly the issues are around direct fed lines to exchanges. It looks like this problem / issue has been discussed for more than a year. I would love to know what the technical issue is - can you advise?
    Hi rordeb

It's not very public as ultimately it's eircoms network in consideration here rather than something like a national roads or Governmental planning where you can get more information.

Basically eircoms efibre is based on the deployment of cabinets connected to the exchange by a fiber cable and then the cabinet itself then serving a copper cable to your home. In the case where lines are connected directly to the exchange there is no cabinet in place to upgrade to a fiber connection as the lines themselves are not routed through a cabinet (they go directly to the exchange).

Plans are being made to release exchange based efibre (basically the cabinet is located at the exchange) but this is still in planning and a launch date is yet to be planned (there's quite a lot of stuff to do with it first like clearance from the regulator and further technical aspects).

Thanks
    Al

true?v=mpbl-1&px=600

Also,

Check out the last bulletpoint in this link: http://fibrerollout.ie/faqs/

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement