Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Principal Officer in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rosen

there may only be 15 or so affected by this - shouldn't delay the formation of the panel by too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Rosen wrote: »
    there may only be 15 or so affected by this - shouldn't delay the formation of the panel by too long.

apparently the extra days are not until first week of october so probably delays things until at least the second week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wopbop22

PAS confirmed that results will issue mid October

• Registered Users Posts: 35 urban sprawl

Notifications out for Stage 2 for candidates affected by the error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

From AHCPS:

" The General Secretary Ciaran Rohan was advised by PAS on Monday 4th September to advise that an error was made in the marking of the test results and that a further 68 people had passed and of that 41 had made the cut. They will be invited to the next stage together with the 166 who were already notified that they had passed to the next stage.

Following that the GS subsequently enquired if any of the 166 had deemed not to have passed following the review. The GS subsequently was advised by PAS that all 166 had still passed after the re marking.

Not exactly a system that inspires confidence. We meet with DPER after each competition and that is one of the issues that we will be raising with them when we review the competition. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

Wonderful that they chose to send an update through the union for what is an open competition....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Roseoftralee

orl wrote: »
    From AHCPS:

" The General Secretary Ciaran Rohan was advised by PAS on Monday 4th September to advise that an error was made in the marking of the test results and that a further 68 people had passed and of that 41 had made the cut. They will be invited to the next stage together with the 166 who were already notified that they had passed to the next stage.

Following that the GS subsequently enquired if any of the 166 had deemed not to have passed following the review. The GS subsequently was advised by PAS that all 166 had still passed after the re marking.

Not exactly a system that inspires confidence. We meet with DPER after each competition and that is one of the issues that we will be raising with them when we review the competition. "

So 166 has turned into 207

What type of error could have resulted in a situation where scores only increased? Was it that a particular question was phrased in a way that was open to interpretation and either of two answers were accepted as correct. This would effectively mean having to compile two orders of merit and picking top 166 on each. Obviously there would be a very high degree of overlap between the two orders of merit.

At the end of the day, its good to see that the PAS has a quality control check and those who merited it have been called. Those people also have the added bonus of having extra time to prepare so they can't complain too much. Good luck to those interviewing in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fenry

If it's mid October then it'll be over 3 months since the application form was submitted. It reminds me of doing the Leaving Cert and waiting for the results and the CAO. Any thoughts on how many positions will be available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭myk

Fenry wrote: »
    If it's mid October then it'll be over 3 months since the application form was submitted. It reminds me of doing the Leaving Cert and waiting for the results and the CAO. Any thoughts on how many positions will be available?

If you think that is bad...I believe the current 3rd Sec competition which hasn't been concluded began back in April.

Notifications out for Stage 2 for candidates affected by the error.

can the dates be comfirmed?

I'm up on Monday.  Understand the interviews may run till Wednesday.

I'm up on Monday.  Understand the interviews may run till Wednesday.

Thanks

So end of next week is earliest for results but probably week after

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

Would anyone know if they are still taking people off the 2015 list?

Would anyone know if they are still taking people off the 2015 list?

They were up to a couple of weeks ago anyway

• Advertisement

Short update, two boards interviewing this week till Thursday. From what I could see, each board appeared to have 6 candidates. One or two no shows. Everyone I spoke to a serving civil servant. Results not likely this week but I could be wrong. PAS not sharing further info at this stage on the 'error'. Interview not hugely demanding (which is never a good sign so not hopeful of advancing further...)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Maybenever

What are the chances of an outsider getting on the panel here? Was in the other day for interview and tests etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mama lion

Maybenever wrote: »
    What are the chances of an outsider getting on the panel here? Was in the other day for interview and tests etc.

I'd say your chances are as good as anyones, Wouldn't like to think that it would make a difference.  Says a fellow non civil servant in waiting.

I wonder what are the chances of results being out this week?!?

I don't know, it feels like it's set up that existing civil servants would have a distinct advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I don't know, it feels like it's set up that existing civil servants would have a distinct advantage.

It's not set up that way. But naturally existing civil servants who know the service and how government works in practice will likely have an advantage. That should be pretty obvious to anyone. That said there is no reason why a non civil servant can't do well in the assessments and we know that non CS get through the process.

• Advertisement

anyway to find out how may non CS were hired from the 2015 panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gingerpele

I know at least one non civil servant was in the top 10 last panel so it's definitely not a deal breaker. But being in civil service has to be a major advantage for some bits of it and general
    Understanding of how the role etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Roseoftralee

Did stage 2 earlier in the week. The results will be out end of next week, early in the following week according to the lady at reception. Not particularly hopeful myself but hard to know.

Anybody know how much info you get when the results come out? For example are you told your score in the individual competencies and what the pass mark was for each?

Did stage 2 earlier in the week. The results will be out end of next week, early in the following week according to the lady at reception. Not particularly hopeful myself but hard to know.

Anybody know how much info you get when the results come out? For example are you told your score in the individual competencies and what the pass mark was for each?

i think each competency is scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Uriel. wrote: »
    It's not set up that way. But naturally existing civil servants who know the service and how government works in practice will likely have an advantage. That should be pretty obvious to anyone. That said there is no reason why a non civil servant can't do well in the assessments and we know that non CS get through the process.

Friend of mine is about to start, came in from the 2015 panel and was not an existing civil servant.

The results will be out end of next week, early in the following week according to the lady at reception.

ah now...hopefully they put us out of our misery this week

It is a month since the original interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

Riskymove wrote: »
    The results will be out end of next week, early in the following week according to the lady at reception.

ah now...hopefully they put us out of our misery this week

It is a month since the original interviews

I agree, I'm predicting Wednesday.

lfp wrote: »

Is that an educated guess or a looking at the tea leaves guess?:)

Has anyone been on to ask officialy?

Riskymove wrote: »
    Has anyone been on to ask officialy?

I contacted them at the end of Sept and was told mid-Oct.

• Advertisement

I contacted them at the end of Sept and was told mid-Oct.

Thanks

I suppose that could mean this week or next week

Tea leaves! Though I'd like to believe there's an element of an educated guess to it... They should have the majority of the work done from the mid Sept group and less than 40 to sort through in the Oct group.

Tea leaves! Though I'd like to believe there's an element of an educated guess to it... They should have the majority of the work done from the mid Sept group and less than 40 to sort through in the Oct group.

On the off chance tea leaves are right best of luck all

waiting-for-results-to-come-out-still-waiting.jpg

It feels like an eternity has passed since the interviews

wopbop22 wrote: »
    It feels like an eternity has passed since the interviews
    hasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fenry

My 'tea-leaves' forecast is on the results issued on a Friday at 4:45 thus letting the dust settle for 2 days.

Friday afternoons used for announcements when also sacking people to let it in sink in for a few days (in the private sector!).

Fenry wrote: »
    My 'tea-leaves' forecast is on the results issued on a Friday at 4:45 thus letting the dust settle for 2 days.

Friday afternoons used for announcements when also sacking people to let it in sink in for a few days (in the private sector!).
    I'm in no position to contradict!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

I called PAS, they said they are hoping to have results out early next week. I was really hoping to know before the weekend!

• Advertisement

litup wrote: »
    I called PAS, they said they are hoping to have results out early next week. I was really hoping to know before the weekend!

......:(

:angry:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Earlier this year PAS told me the results of a Competition wouldn’t be out for 2 weeks... they released them less than 2 hours later.

I called PAS, they said they are hoping to have results out early next week.  I was really hoping to know before the weekend!

Earlier this year PAS told me the results of a Competition wouldn’t be out for 2 weeks... they released them less than 2 hours later.

It does really seem to depend on who you talk to,

What are the chances we will hear today?

wopbop22 wrote: »
    What are the chances we will hear today?

would you really want them on Friday the 13th!!

• Advertisement

Think we should just put it out of our heads now for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

They're out.

I didn’t make it. Best of luck to everyone on here!

Made the cut. Early 70s. Not great but as an outsider it's an achievement I guess

Made the cut. Early 70s. Not great but as an outsider it's an achievement I guess

It is an achievement. You'll have a job in maybe 6 months

Half the people probably didn't get through at all

• Advertisement
Advertisement