Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Principal Officer in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rosen

Riskymove wrote: »
    It is an achievement. You'll have a job in maybe 6 months

Half the people probably didn't get through at all

I got in the top 20 which I'm obviously delighted about, I'm looking for a post in the 'regions' so I guess it will be a couple of weeks before the lie of the land pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 urban sprawl

Top 30 here. Hopefully enough to get a counsellor interview. I wonder when the PO1 will be advertised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Rosen wrote: »
    I got in the top 20 which I'm obviously delighted about, I'm looking for a post in the 'regions' so I guess it will be a couple of weeks before the lie of the land pans out.

Well done

I got around 40

Top 30 here. Hopefully enough to get a counsellor interview. I wonder when the PO1 will be advertised?

Well done

PO1 already was advertised to existing POs

So I imagine top 60 will be contacted fairly quickly to be invited to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

Does anyone know if PAS will automatically notify successful candidates of their placing in terms of their regional preferences?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Maybenever

It is an achievement. You'll have a job in maybe 6 months

Half the people probably didn't get through at all

Aye, but I'm fairly specific on region due to real life so not holding out much hope tbh. Good experience, coming from private sector. I found the whole thing a bit strange. There's definitely a knack.

Maybenever wrote: »
    Aye, but I'm fairly specific on region due to real life so not holding out much hope tbh. Good experience, coming from private sector. I found the whole thing a bit strange. There's definitely a knack.
    Dublin will take the bulk of the top 70 so don't give up hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Nocrac wrote: »
    Does anyone know if PAS will automatically notify successful candidates of their placing in terms of their regional preferences?

No. You would have to ring them to find out regional placings.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShellyMCD

Well done to all who made it. Any idea how many on the panel?

ShellyMCD wrote: »
    Well done to all who made it. Any idea how many on the panel?

No, but if the rate of around 50% from last time held that would mean about 100 for this batch

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the new panel is now effectively established or what date it is effective from?
    I had heard a couple of weeks ago that it would be effective from Nov 1st with the existing one closing Oct 31st.
    The message from PAS on Friday doesn't clearly say. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 windyout

Hi all - first time poster.

I'm pleasantly surprised to be placed in the 30s. The whole process was new to me so I didn't know what to expect. It was the most thorough job application I've ever gone through.

As a non civil servant I've started looking at the salary and I'm hoping that one of you might be able to validate my calculations. The documentation states that I'll have to start on the bottom of the scale. There's a new scale starting on Jan 1st so I'm assuming that this is 84,973.

I think the pension contribution is 4,656 i.e. ((84,973*.03)+((84,973-(2*12392))*.035)). (12392 is the current old age contributary pension)

I think the pension levy is 5,747 i.e. ((60,000-28,750)*.1)+((84,973-60,000)*.105)

Pension related deductions will therefore be 10,403. Everything else will be the same as the private sector

Thanks in advance

windyout wrote: »
    Hi all - first time poster.

I'm pleasantly surprised to be placed in the 30s. The whole process was new to me so I didn't know what to expect. It was the most thorough job application I've ever gone through.

As a non civil servant I've started looking at the salary and I'm hoping that one of you might be able to validate my calculations. The documentation states that I'll have to start on the bottom of the scale. There's a new scale starting on Jan 1st so I'm assuming that this is 84,973.

I think the pension contribution is 4,656 i.e. ((84,973*.03)+((84,973-(2*12392))*.035)). (12392 is the current old age contributary pension)

I think the pension levy is 5,747 i.e. ((60,000-28,750)*.1)+((84,973-60,000)*.105)

Pension related deductions will therefore be 10,403. Everything else will be the same as the private sector

Thanks in advance

That looks right. There is a contribution for widow/widower/children but it's a 3 figure sum rather than the hefty ones you have above. Apart from that, i think you have everything there.
    Well done in the result - hopefully appointments will begin shortly! I agree with you re the process - very tough and thorough.

That looks right. There is a contribution for widow/widower/children but it's a 3 figure sum rather than the hefty ones you have above. Apart from that, i think you have everything there.
    Well done in the result - hopefully appointments will begin shortly! I agree with you re the process - very tough and thorough.

A bit more googling and I see that there will be significant easing of PRD in 2019 and again in 2020 particularly for those on the Single Public Service pension scheme.

A bit more googling and I see that there will be significant easing of PRD in 2019 and again in 2020 particularly for those on the Single Public Service pension scheme.

You're not going to get rich in the civil service. Just picture how well you will sleep at night knowing you're working for the public good and how much it's appreciated.......

You're not going to get rich in the civil service. Just picture how well you will sleep at night knowing you're working for the public good and how much it's appreciated.......

Its a good package IMO, increments are generous and the pension contribs are fair especially given that the benefits are known. Was going to ring today to ask about process etc but Ophelia put paid to that ! I'm delighted and looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

and how much it's appreciated.......

Hahahahahahhahahahahhahaha you're a funny guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

No movement on panel for at least 4 weeks. PAS want to square away the PO higher and the counsellor panels before kicking off offers on the standard PO. I see the sense in that. No point offering say no. 2 on the PO panel a job in the next 2 weeks and the next day he/she places first on po1 and then gets offered a po1 job a few weeks later!
    It appears there are no regional preferences now either. Same as last panel by the sounds of things. Which once again is only fair with so few "outside Dublin" posts.

If a few on the PO panel do well in the counsellor and PO1 comps the panel could move at an okay pace.

lfp wrote: »
    It appears there are no regional preferences now either. Same as last panel by the sounds of things. Which once again is only fair with so few "outside Dublin" posts.

Thanks Ifp. Presumably PAS will tell you if you are first or next for a particular county? Are you saying that even though you may not have ticked a box for a particular geographic location, you still might be offered a post there? It sounds strange PAS would require candidates to select only 2 regions and then disregard the selection.
    I note everyone on the panel has been moved to clearance which I thought was only done in batches of 10 or 20.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ifp. Presumably PAS will tell you if you are first or next for a particular county? Are you saying that even though you may not have ticked a box for a particular geographic location, you still might be offered a post there? It sounds strange PAS would require candidates to select only 2 regions and then disregard the selection.
    I note everyone on the panel has been moved to clearance which I thought was only done in batches of 10 or 20.

They told me they would communicate regional placings next week and they may even know by next Monday if we call them.

I forgot to ask if the old panel is still in place until the new one starts and how many are on the panel. Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

They told me they would communicate regional placings next week and they may even know by next Monday if we call them.

I forgot to ask if the old panel is still in place until the new one starts and how many are on the panel. Does anyone know?

I think the panel I was on has expired but look, here's hoping.

That's a bit worrying on the mixed messages in respect of regional aspect....

Originally Posted by Rosen View Post

where did you see that? I haven't heard anything about clearance yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    I think the panel I was on has expired but look, here's hoping.

How does that fit in with this post?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104993702&postcount=2279

where did you see that? I haven't heard anything about clearance yet

They are in the process of moving the panel to clearance. Contact will come from the clearance side next week - heard rather than saw that!!

• Advertisement

They are in the process of moving the panel to clearance. Contact will come from the clearance side next week - heard rather than saw that!!

ok fair enough

thanks

No movement on panel for at least 4 weeks. PAS want to square away the PO higher and the counsellor panels before kicking off offers on the standard PO. I see the sense in that. No point offering say no. 2 on the PO panel a job in the next 2 weeks and the next day he/she places first on po1 and then gets offered a po1 job a few weeks later!

If a few on the PO panel do well in the counsellor and PO1 comps the panel could move at an okay pace.

Counsellor interviews taking place next week so that panel should be in place shortly.  Any news on PO1?

Counsellor interviews taking place next week so that panel should be in place shortly.  Any news on PO1?

Haven't heard anything on PO1 yet

How does the counsellor work. Did you just have to pass the aptitude in pas and the interview/strategic scores didn't matter? I didn't have any intention of going for it so never checked the process.

Kinda surprised no PO1 info yet. I wonder have pas decided to only hold the PO panel up until the counsellor is sorted?

In response to Rosen - the info I got from pas (which I now doubt) is that they won't rank by region at all. If there are 3 jobs for 3 counties on day one of offers, then number 1 on panel will get offered all counties/jobs. Up to him/her to choose! As I stated, I have my doubts on that as I think that was the procedure on the last panel, so that info could still be the opinion on the ground, even though the new panel has different rules!

My final thought on this is the panel could be less than 100 people. Technically some Counties might have no person at all! If a post needs to be filled from the panel for one of these counties not selected, then it must be offered to the highest person on the panel at that moment. Such a situation could create a real mess!

How does the counsellor work. Did you just have to pass the aptitude in pas and the interview/strategic scores didn't matter? I didn't have any intention of going for it so never checked the process

You were asked to express interest at application stage. Then the top 40 or 50 who expressed interest will be offered interview

• Advertisement

You were asked to express interest at application stage. Then the top 40 or 50 who expressed interest will be offered interview

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gingerpele

Rang PAS during the week about regions as I put down two regions outside Dublin.

They said no news on regions as the panel is not expected to go to clearance for 2 weeks (I have no idea what that means!). Also said PO higher is totally separate and won't have any bearing on these panels when I asked about that.

gingerpele wrote: »
    Also said PO higher is totally separate and won't have any bearing on these panels when I asked about that.

that's odd

the top 60 of the panel are due to be able to compete in the PO1

if they don't sort out PO1 first it opens the possibility of people taking PO jobs and then moving on after only a month or two....which you would think wouldn't be in any one's interest

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gingerpele

that's odd

if they don't sort out PO1 first it opens the possibility of people taking PO jobs and then moving on after only a month or two....which you would think wouldn't be in any one's interest

Ye, I asked in context of if I got PO higher job in Dublin while waiting for regions in PO could I still take a regional PO job (i.e. take a demotion from Higher to normal PO to get regional location). They seemed to think I can.

that's odd

I agree, but I see the dilemma for PAS. The counsellor comp coming out after 5 or 10 PO jobs have been assigned would in all probability create a certain amount of "nice to meet ye, I'm off to Foregin Affairs next week" moments. Which would be a headache for both PAS and the Departments loosing a newly promoted PO.

With the PO1 there is a reasonable chance none of the top 10 or 15 or 20 in the PO comp make the top 20 in the PO1 - even if it happens for 1 or 2, it's not a massive headache in the whole scheme of things. The PO comp is already a month or so behind schedule which could be a small factor in the decisions being made. To delay this panel further for the PO1 comp could seem like compounding an error.

All in all I see the logic on both sides of the PO1 argument for both delaying AND pushing ahead. The one fact of significance for me is the PO1 process seems not to have started moving yet. If PAS were holding off on this PO panel I think they'd be pushing ahead with the PO1 by now. All conjecture on my part! Who knows......

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RBassett

I heard on the grapevine that slightly less than 20 were being interviewed, perhaps that was in relation to the final number of counsellor positions.

RBassett wrote: »
    I heard on the grapevine that slightly less than 20 were being interviewed, perhaps that was in relation to the final number of counsellor positions.

That could well be true. Counsellor may not appeal to many due to the impact on family life so perhaps only 20 of the top 50 expressed an interest.

RBassett wrote: »

there has been an interal competition also and it is only for the one Department after all so maybe 20 max jobs between both panels?

Any other non DFA people do the Counsellor interview? Mine was a car crash! Very nice panel, very straightforward questions but I really struggled to give credible answers. Felt quite embarrassed afterwards!

Have also heard approx 20 being interviewed, at least half of whom are serving DFAT staff, some of whom are also on the internal panel so good likelihood of an appointment for anyone who makes the final cut.

Good luck to anyone still up for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

Any other non DFA people do the Counsellor interview? Mine was a car crash! Very nice panel, very straightforward questions but I really struggled to give credible answers. Felt quite embarrassed afterwards!

Have also heard approx 20 being interviewed, at least half of whom are serving DFAT staff, some of whom are also on the internal panel so good likelihood of an appointment for anyone who makes the final cut.

Good luck to anyone still up for interview.

Did interview - thought it went reasonably well but you never know - I got interrupted a lot which is always a bit disconcerting !! I've a completely non CS/PS background so even harder to tell !! Presumably they'll finalise the Counsellor panel and then over the coming weeks start making offers (or is that how it works?). Is the higher PO grade a completely new process or a follow on from this one? Is it internal only or are they including external candidates? Did I see somewhere that a cohort of the top ranked performers from this PO competition are eligible? I came mid twenties in the PO competition. Is it a further interview for PO1 or how does it work? At this stage I've already been interviewed twice :-)

Apologies for all the questions !

• Advertisement

adrem wrote: »

Apologies for all the questions !

Yes the idea seems to be get the Counsellor panel done first and offer appointments. Anyone taking Counsellor will be off the PO panel

The first sign of PO appointments will be when people are told they are going into clearance process. Assignments should start a couple of weeks after that.

The PO Higher is a seperate process. It is open to existing POs and also the top 60 on the Open PO panel. If you apply you will have to interview again yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Baz2000

Long time lurker and current CS but not DFAT. PAS told me by e-mail early last week that 30 were to be interviewed for Counsellor and that clearance on PO is scheduled to begin in a couple of weeks. My Interview for Counsellor very much focussed on the individual i.e. Resilience and coping strategies, how to deal with isolation and the various unique challenges when posted abroad, how to deal with setbacks in negotiations etc. Not too much focus on priorities for Dept and clearly told not to bother with Brexit and future of Europe issues so they obviously were sick of listening to that one. Hard to call but a fair interview nonetheless. Only myself to blame if I don't make the cut, which would be the icing on the cake. On regional panels PAS simply ignored answering that one.

Counsellor results are out. Surprised to have made the panel. No idea how many jobs there might be, though, apparently there has been an internal DFAT PO as well as internal counsellor competition this year.

Hopefully the new open PO panel can start moving now and we might even hear something about the PO1 soon!

Counsellor results are out. Surprised to have made the panel. No idea how many jobs there might be, though, apparently there has been an internal DFAT PO as well as internal counsellor competition this year.

Hopefully the new open PO panel can start moving now and we might even hear something about the PO1 soon!

well done

Congratulations.

Important now to keep an eye to ensure liabilities of all Departments to the open panels are fulfilled in agreed sequence (two external followed by one internal) per the agreement of July 2015.

Also clarification may be needed if internal appointments made before the official start date of the external panel count in terms of Departmental obligations to the external panels.

Important now to keep an eye to ensure liabilities of all Departments to the open panels are fulfilled in agreed sequence (two external followed by one internal) per the agreement of July 2015.

Also clarification may be needed if internal appointments made before the official start date of the external panel count in terms of Departmental obligations to the external panels.

Hey NOCRAC, thanks for mentioning this - it's something I had been thinking about. My own Department has an internal PO panel in place. Like a lot of Departments they much prefer appointing from internal panels. Do you know if (outside of a Department's HR unit) there a central register of liabilities that can be accessed? I presume DPER collect returns on it but do you know if it accessible and enforced centrally? Cheers.

Hey NOCRAC, thanks for mentioning this - it's something I had been thinking about. My own Department has an internal PO panel in place. Like a lot of Departments they much prefer appointing from internal panels. Do you know if (outside of a Department's HR unit) there a central register of liabilities that can be accessed? I presume DPER collect returns on it but do you know if it accessible and enforced centrally? Cheers.

I don't know sorry but it's something I must look into myself - possibly the AHCPS would be the first port of call? I will post here when I find out more.

I don't know sorry but it's something I must look into myself - possibly the AHCPS would be the first port of call? I will post here when I find out more.

I'd have my doubts on the appetite within the AHCPS for this issue. The unions fought dper on the current ratios, I wouldn't expect them to push dper on enforcing a rule they were against in the first place!

Any word if Counsellor offers are being made yet? I assume they'll want to clear some of that panel before they commence the PO.

Received a notification about the Higher PO. Another application form to be completed (after a quick glance it seems to be much the same as the PO form) by the 17th and then shortlisting will take place in December.

• Advertisement

Received a notification about the Higher PO. Another application form to be completed (after a quick glance it seems to be much the same as the PO form) by the 17th and then shortlisting will take place in December.

The thought of another interview is sending shivers down my spine :eek:

Advertisement