Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved back to Ireland and questioning it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CB19135

As you would expect surely? and you get back to yours.

This point for me is more about the lack of enthusiasm to do pretty much anything! So so boring. Everyone lives their lives behind closed doors and there is no standard of living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

CB19135 wrote: »
    This point for me is more about the lack of enthusiasm to do pretty much anything! So so boring. Everyone lives their lives behind closed doors and there is no standard of living.

Rubbish, there is a good standard of living here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

wish i live in Australia Ireland has turned in to a kip to live in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

audi12 wrote: »
    wish i live in Australia Ireland has turned in to a kip to live in

Really?

I grew up here in the late 1970s and 80s when it was tough to live here.

Things are improving and nobody is stopping you from leaving, and Ireland is not a "kip".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Lived in Thailand for a few years, never missed Ireland one bit, apart from Christmas time. Had to come back gue to visa difficulties (stayed there on a tourist visa the whole time). Met a few guys who were doing visa runs for ten years as well.

Dud go to Australia once as well, a lovely country, and well organised.

• Advertisement

Really?

Things are improving and nobody is stopping you from leaving, and Ireland is not a "kip".

yes it is the crap roads crap weather and a nation obsessed with drink have i forgot anything oh ya politicians that act like five year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

yes it is the crap roads crap weather and a nation obsessed with drink have i forgot anything oh ya politicians that act like five year olds

Crap roads? Does that really weigh on your mind?? Never mind whether it's true or not.

Why not try to move for a while so? Get it out of your system maybe. Maybe it'll work out or maybe it won't.

But if you have that negative an opinion it certainly won't lead to happiness here or anywhere else for that matter.

Geraldo wrote: »
    Crap roads? Does that really weigh on your mind?? Never mind whether it's true or not.

Why not try to move for a while so? Get it out of your system maybe. Maybe it'll work out or maybe it won't.

But if you have that negative an opinion it certainly won't lead to happiness here or anywhere else for that matter.

Your supposed to argue the points i made

Your supposed to argue the points i made

Read my earlier post. You'll find things to piss you off the world over if you look for them. But maybe people need to travel a good bit to come round to this.

Having said that, maybe things are a good bit more grim here outside the cities. I don't live rural so I can't say for certain on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you've left a small Irish town blighted by ghost estates and zero opportunity then Ireland will be grim.

On the other hand if you're from a Irish town that's actually doing alright, has some opportunity and an easy standard of living it may provide a better quality of life than where you find yourself in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ireland's in trouble. And the main part of that trouble is a ruling class that behaves like an Ascendancy class, as if they're living on the country but not in it, cynical and cold. And the division that's growing between groups: private and public sector, employed and unemployed, city and country, left and right.

But there are other things about Ireland that you love - the people, the way you talk to the bus driver about literature and he'll produce the book he's reading and have an impassioned disagreement about it. The sheer beauty of the place - there's nowhere you can live that you can't find a place of beauty to walk within 20 minutes.

On the other hand, if you're really happy in Australia, and the life is well organised and happy, and your kids are happy, maybe it's not the time to move. And if your parents are growing older, is there any way to bring them over to live near you?

Ireland's in trouble.
    To be honest I've been seeing a lot trouble brewing in Perth, rents are falling, prices are dropping, state finances are in freefall, new stealth charges are sneaking in all the time, public services beginning to be curtailed, jobs going....
    If you were involved in mining you could see this coming but otherwise it's possibly going to be worse.
    Lots of Aussies I know are trying to figure out how to get an EU passport through their emigre grandparents etc...
    On the other hand my wife has recently been offered three jobs back in Ireland!
    I can't speak for the eastern states but there's a chill wind down under.

Really?

Ireland is shocking bad in comparison to other countries.. stuck in the dark ages

Ireland is shocking bad in comparison to other countries.. stuck in the dark ages

England now that is an example of a great country we could learn a lot

Its really bad

Geraldo wrote: »

Hard not to be negative in a negative place!

catbear wrote: »
    To be honest I've been seeing a lot trouble brewing in Perth, rents are falling, prices are dropping, state finances are in freefall, new stealth charges are sneaking in all the time, public services beginning to be curtailed, jobs going....
    If you were involved in mining you could see this coming but otherwise it's possibly going to be worse.
    Lots of Aussies I know are trying to figure out how to get an EU passport through their emigre grandparents etc...
    On the other hand my wife has recently been offered three jobs back in Ireland!
    I can't speak for the eastern states but there's a chill wind down under.

East coast is way better. Melbourne doesnt win most livable city in the world for no reason. Perth has nothing on the east coast cities.

East coast is way better. Melbourne doesnt win most livable city in the world for no reason. Perth has nothing on the east coast cities.
    Actually that same Economist survey has both Melbourne and Perth in the top ten international cities to live in!
    Other business surveys are less anglospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onmyway

Howayas ...Well.. just found this forum and read the thread... Im sitting here in Sydney ..cant go out because its too hot.!! .Let me give you a bit of background , if your interested Lol.... Im from Dublin, Im 55yrs lady with 3 kids 6 grandkids ...5 sisters 2 brothers and a whole heap of friends & relations ....came to Oz 2010 to follow my first love after he legged it in 1979....(another story) lol...In my opinion , Sydney is not a better place, just different ...still have all the problems with drugs/alcohol/mental health issues that we have at home . My husband has worked here for 34 yrs ..owns his business and home ...worked his ass off for it ...Now , we want to go home ..and we are in the process of getting there ...and it really annoys me to read all the negative remarks ..everyone has a different story to tell...the amount of people saying "Its a Kip" ' Stay where you are" ..Never underestimate homesickness/ isolation/ no sense of belonging... Yes , Iv sat at Opera house looking at the harbor bridge in awe ....and it really is a beautiful place ... but I, to be honest find it boring and superficial, all centered around the afternoon Barbie/beach, favourite topic of conversation is how much you paid for such n such .. . In bed by 9.30 cos everyone has to get up at 5/6 to get to work most , 6 days a week.. hour drive each way .. Yep Sun is lovely ...but try working in it ..or carrying your shopping/kids ..different story believe me lol.....just my opinion .and maybe a little harsh.. but there ya go, we cant wait to get home ....

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

onmyway wrote: »
    Howayas ...Well.. just found this forum and read the thread... Im sitting here in Sydney ..cant go out because its too hot.!! .Let me give you a bit of background , if your interested Lol.... Im from Dublin, Im 55yrs lady with 3 kids 6 grandkids ...5 sisters 2 brothers and a whole heap of friends & relations ....came to Oz 2010 to follow my first love after he legged it in 1979....(another story) lol...In my opinion , Sydney is not a better place, just different ...still have all the problems with drugs/alcohol/mental health issues that we have at home . My husband has worked here for 34 yrs ..owns his business and home ...worked his ass off for it ...Now , we want to go home ..and we are in the process of getting there ...and it really annoys me to read all the negative remarks ..everyone has a different story to tell...the amount of people saying "Its a Kip" ' Stay where you are" ..Never underestimate homesickness/ isolation/ no sense of belonging... Yes , Iv sat at Opera house looking at the harbor bridge in awe ....and it really is a beautiful place ... but I, to be honest find it boring and superficial, all centered around the afternoon Barbie/beach, favourite topic of conversation is how much you paid for such n such .. . In bed by 9.30 cos everyone has to get up at 5/6 to get to work most , 6 days a week.. hour drive each way .. Yep Sun is lovely ...but try working in it ..or carrying your shopping/kids ..different story believe me lol.....just my opinion .and maybe a little harsh.. but there ya go, we cant wait to get home ....

The fact is you can convince yourself that any decision you make is the right one if you tell yourself the right things. Moving away from Ireland, back to Ireland, anywhere.

I do agree that everyone has to do what's best for them at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Pfft, after 5 years you still find Sydney too hot? Try Brisbane you wimp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

35 degrees here today. Stupid temp for mid March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onmyway

Lol...so iv heard ... its my age I suppose ......

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

I came back 3 weeks ago myself after been away for 3 years. Came back to go back to college. I know it's only been 3 weeks but finding it extremely hard to settle back in. I'm restless and frustrated and to be honest a little depressed.

As you said it's so grim here compared to Oz. I'm looking for work at the moment so hopefully I get something quick and get into a routine.

Everything is such a rip off here. Don't get me started on car insurance. I'll definitely be leaving again after I'm finished college in 2 years.

Hope you settle back in.

I came back 3 weeks ago myself after been away for 3 years. Came back to go back to college. I know it's only been 3 weeks but finding it extremely hard to settle back in. I'm restless and frustrated and to be honest a little depressed.

As you said it's so grim here compared to Oz. I'm looking for work at the moment so hopefully I get something quick and get into a routine.

Everything is such a rip off here. Don't get me started on car insurance. I'll definitely be leaving again after I'm finished college in 2 years.

Hope you settle back in.

What do you find so grim? It can't just be weather surely? Do you live very rural?

@onmyway
    I share a good few of your feelings about Australia, I'm not a morning person and find it really dispiriting when all my aussie colleague start heading home for bed just as I feel like the evening is just starting.
    There are kips neighbourhood in Aussie cities and there's kip towns too, we even had a thread about that topic a while back.
    There are kiptowns in Ireland too but there are good places too.

catbear wrote: »
    Actually that same Economist survey has both Melbourne and Perth in the top ten international cities to live in!
    Other business surveys are less anglospheric.

I know that. But melbourne is always #1. I spent years living in both and there is no comparison.

Id like to hear your opinion after uve spent 3 months at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

seachto7 wrote: »
    Rural Ireland is f*cked if you're looking for a good professional job.
    In fairness, rural anywhere in the world is f*cked if you are looking for a good professional job. Be realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Well if you have not experienced living somewhere else.for a long period of time then you wouldnt truly understand all thats on offer in other countries as a resident over whats available in Ireland.

So you are basically saying that people that didnt make a long term move cannot comment on whether they are happy or not rearing a family in Ireland!

Wow!

I am not sure whether it is arrogance or a massive chip on your shoulder that you have developed since you went to wherever you went to.

Let me repeat what I wrote in my original post that you latched on to....

I am not happy with some of the decisions of the government but it is incorrect to say that it is totally corrupt. There are lots of positives to living in Ireland, I for one am happy to be still living and rearing a family here.

Where did I even attempt to compare living in other countries to Ireland? I made a comment on the level of corruption and the positives in Ireland from how I see them. I have had 2 very good job offers in the U.S. but I chose to stay in Ireland in good jobs but maybe not as good as I would have had in the U.S. Deal with it, some of us make different choices.

Advertisement