Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not given a copy of my contract

Options
  • 20-02-2015 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job as an instructor on the 2 February last. I am based away from the head office so I have only been there once or twice since I started. I received a copy of my contract on my first visit there. I took it away, read it and brought it back signed on the second visit.
    I was not given my own copy which I thought was a bit strange so while I had the one I was given I scanned it in to my home computer. However obviously this was not signed by the employer, only by me.
    I thought maybe they will give me my copy sometime soon. I haven't actually started the job properly yet as the company haven't got the numbers to fill up the places for the course I am instructing.Since the 2 Feb I have been training. I have been assured by my fellow employees that the places will be filled as the company have put a lot of work into preparing it.
    I am not so sure though as my "proper" start date has been pushed out to a week later than what is on my contract. I emailed the HR person two days a ago asking for a copy of my contract but he did not reply. I'm a bit worried as the cynic in me is thinking that they didn't give me a copy of my contract in case they don't get the numbers to fill the course and can just tell me to bugger off. In hindsight it was stupid of me to not demand a copy for myself when I was given just a single one. I am a bit passive and had been out of work for a good bit before that so I didn't want to make waves as I was just so happy to be back in a job. Anyway it just seemed like such an obvious thing that I assumed they are going to give it to me later. Now it seems that they have no intention of doing that.
    If I do actually start the job then I will insist that I will not continue until I am given my own copy (signed by the employer of course).
    The copy I scanned has no legal standing of course. Has anyone else here had this experience?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

mikey_42 wrote: »
    I started a new job as an instructor on the 2 February last. I am based away from the head office so I have only been there once or twice since I started. I received a copy of my contract on my first visit there. I took it away, read it and brought it back signed on the second visit.
    I was not given my own copy which I thought was a bit strange so while I had the one I was given I scanned it in to my home computer. However obviously this was not signed by the employer, only by me.
    I thought maybe they will give me my copy sometime soon. I haven't actually started the job properly yet as the company haven't got the numbers to fill up the places for the course I am instructing.Since the 2 Feb I have been training. I have been assured by my fellow employees that the places will be filled as the company have put a lot of work into preparing it.
    I am not so sure though as my "proper" start date has been pushed out to a week later than what is on my contract. I emailed the HR person two days a ago asking for a copy of my contract but he did not reply. I'm a bit worried as the cynic in me is thinking that they didn't give me a copy of my contract in case they don't get the numbers to fill the course and can just tell me to bugger off. In hindsight it was stupid of me to not demand a copy for myself when I was given just a single one. I am a bit passive and had been out of work for a good bit before that so I didn't want to make waves as I was just so happy to be back in a job. Anyway it just seemed like such an obvious thing that I assumed they are going to give it to me later. Now it seems that they have no intention of doing that.
    If I do actually start the job then I will insist that I will not continue until I am given my own copy (signed by the employer of course).
    The copy I scanned has no legal standing of course. Has anyone else here had this experience?

I would say the copy you have would stand up to legal challenge, why wouldn't it.
    It shows the companies details etc, the fact that you were given it is proof and you have a copyof it. They don't have to sign it for it to be legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'm nearly sure that they have 2 months to issue you with your contract. Even if you had a copy, they could still tell you to bigger off at any time during your probationary period so don't get too hung up on it just yet.

The fact that you signed the contract issued is enough for it to be binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Things have changed a bit since my first post. It seems the job will go ahead so I am not going to be left high and dry. The information posted here has put me a bit more at ease too so thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They sent me a copy. Except it isn't a copy, it's the one that I gave them, signed by me and the HR guy. Which means they now don't have a copy of the contract signed by me, unless they ask me to sign another one later.Gives you some idea of their level of organisation.

Advertisement