Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triple Tuner With RF Out

• 20-02-2015 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

I have been searching for ages for a replacement to Sky. If anyone has a link to what am looking for please share. Honestly, I am not being lazy.... It is a minefield out there and I don't want to end up spending money on the wrong box.
    So,a triple tuner, RF out (just like the Sky ie watch and control from another room), 7 day EPG, internal HD. Does such a box exist? The RF bit can be overcome I know but it adds €50 ish to the bottom line. Any suggestions/links welcome. Ta...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why do you want to control it in another room?

The reason it is done with Sky is because the second room requires a second sub. Why not have a second box for independent TV in the second room? It is much more satisfactory to have a proper independent full spec HD second signal rather than a poor fuzzy SD signal tied to the mother ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Apogee

A quick google throws up this box:
    http://www.icecrypt.com/products/satellite-receivers/s3700chd.html

It seems to share a lot of the same hardware with the Amiko Alien 2 but with an extra RF modulator built in.

Whether the all-in-one unit necessarily is better than a separate receiver plus modulator is debatable. You should search around for user reviews of the box before parting with your cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Why do you want to control it in another room?

The reason it is done with Sky is because the second room requires a second sub. Why not have a second box for independent TV in the second room? It is much more satisfactory to have a proper independent full spec HD second signal rather than a poor fuzzy SD signal tied to the mother ship.

I have one Sky box and can watch it and control it in any room without a sub.
    The picture is SD but its mostly for watching in bed or the kitchen. And at €300 for a box ....One will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I don't think any of the non-Sky boxes with integrated modulator have the ability to power & accept signals from 'magic eyes', so you'll need a standalone device for the remote control functions anyway.

Something like the Triax Tri-Link works with 'magic eyes', & has a built in modulator, allowing you to use any box with an analogue AV output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Thurston? wrote: »
    I don't think any of the non-Sky boxes with integrated modulator have the ability to power & accept signals from 'magic eyes', so you'll need a standalone device for the remote control functions anyway.

Something like the Triax Tri-Link works with 'magic eyes', & has a built in modulator, allowing you to use any box with an analogue AV output.

But I think with some it doesn't do hdmi and scart out at the same time which is a balls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

I am using an amiko alien 2
    In place of the rf out I have used both a cubieboard and an odroid mini pc
    a cigarette box sized quad core android mini pc and an app called dreamdroid Istream the picture from the amiko
    and with a hd out on the odroid the picture is great at $35 + 9 for post from the south korean site its a great alternative to rf out
    you can also watch stuff you have recorded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Just a quick question to piggy back on this. Is there a bricks and mortar shop in Dublin that'll sell the Amiko Alien 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Satworld.ie and swordssatellites.ie both have bricks and mortar shops. Not sure about freetv.ie.

Advertisement