Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 battery

• 20-02-2015 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone elses battery gone awful after a month or so?

After getting my phone I was getting a good 30 hours life time out of it, sometimes as much as 36-40 hours without charging. I bought the phone mid december

Then all of a sudden maybe 2 weeks the lifespan has dropped to 9-12 hours with the same usage as previously. Very frustrating.

I "conditioned" the battery by letting it run to 1% and charging it fully most of the time and have only once used a cheap non apple style charger.

Is this just the joys of iphone or what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Have you downloaded any new apps or changed any settings around the time of the change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I dont think so. I have deleted a few apps in the last few days and peared back all the usual hog stuff in the last few days as well but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

gimmick wrote: »
    I dont think so. I have deleted a few apps in the last few days and peared back all the usual hog stuff in the last few days as well but no joy.

Go into settings/general/usage and look at battery usage and see what is eating your battery.

I don't think that battery conditioning you write about actually works either.

1487376_10205737620697551_9123188125390192461_n.jpg?oh=73997eae9b8c16837b301e9f5c026842&oe=55539B8A&__gda__=1431178970_6852d4e47e1a27727dbd4015d8e00ca0

Ive changed the mail from "fetch" to "manual" so hopefully that should do a job!

Unless you need emails regularly I would definitely leave it on manual. How often did you have it set to fetch cos 13% battery is a lot and I'd imagine it's the bulk of the almost 50% usage against standby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes, I've exactly the same problem, I was going to start a thread on it today actually. Went from brilliant battery life - 2 days +, to less than a day. Have set up as a new phone again, but it's still the same. Bought mid December more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

I think if you leave it plugged in over night it damages the battery. Trick is to only recharge when it's under 10% life and stop recharging when it's 90%
    Similar thing happened my boyfriend - and his battery is not great but mine is still perfect - have the 6plus and get a good 24 hours out of it but never leave it plugged in - that's the secret!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I think if you leave it plugged in over night it damages the battery. Trick is to only recharge when it's under 10% life and stop recharging when it's 90%
    Similar thing happened my boyfriend - and his battery is not great but mine is still perfect - have the 6plus and get a good 24 hours out of it but never leave it plugged in - that's the secret!!

6+ is supposed to be better then the 6 for battery, so that's not great. Leaving it in overnight should have no effect. It just drains in front of your eyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭jay2k6ie

Anyone elses battery gone awful after a month or so?

After getting my phone I was getting a good 30 hours life time out of it, sometimes as much as 36-40 hours without charging. I bought the phone mid december

Then all of a sudden maybe 2 weeks the lifespan has dropped to 9-12 hours with the same usage as previously. Very frustrating.

I "conditioned" the battery by letting it run to 1% and charging it fully most of the time and have only once used a cheap non apple style charger.

Is this just the joys of iphone or what?

Try a factory data reset, it may solve the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Turn off background app refresh

• Advertisement

Damages the battery? How? Do you have evidence for this?

Everything about lithium ion batteries points to what you're saying being wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thats the quickest way possible to kill a Li-ion battery

This is just wrong on so many levels.

Did a reset and took some of the advice above and the life is gone back up around the 24 hour mark again, which is more than acceptable.

hasn't fixed mine. Got onto Apple to arrange repair. Tech Support on the phone checked diagnostics and could see it was going no longer than 14 hours between recharges. Have the APP+, so getting the Epxress replacement for it.

On Thursday, I did a hard reset, and lo and behold I'm back to 50 hours, usage and standby. Now I have the replacement upstairs which I'll have to sort out on Monday......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I have mine 8 days and the battery life sucks. Barely getting a day out of it. I find viber kills the battery real quick. Very disappointed with a brand new phone. I expected much better.

Did you restore from backup or setup as new phone? I have mine since March and the battery life has never been brilliant. I'm always near a charger so not bothered too much by it.

goz83 wrote: »
    I have mine 8 days and the battery life sucks. Barely getting a day out of it. I find viber kills the battery real quick. Very disappointed with a brand new phone. I expected much better.

To be fair, if you're saying Viber is a big drainer of the battery then you need to look at why. Background app refresh? Push notifications? If you turn BAR off for all apps you will probably notice much better battery life.
    Also personally I only have location services on for maps, find my iPhone & the camera.

goz83 wrote: »

My replacement is back out to 2 days now with normal usage. You need to check you battery usage stats to find out what is hogging the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Did a reset and took some of the advice above and the life is gone back up around the 24 hour mark again, which is more than acceptable.

Hello, can I ask you how your finding your iPhone 6 battery? Thinking of swapping me galaxy s6, on paper galaxy s6 has a better battery but i think all the great specs just drain it. Id get 8 hrs with moderate usage

• Advertisement
Advertisement