Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving passports to the Chinese if they buy a house for 500k+

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Why exactly would we be opposed to hard working Chinese moving here?

Not sure if you're joking, but the Chinese in China and the Chinese in Ireland are almost polar opposites.

The work culture in China is do the bare minimum and try to get away with whatever you can...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

As someone else already said, look what happened to Vancouver.

I might have been that someone :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

gozunda wrote: »
    There are over a million millionaires in China at present. Inward investors would need this as a minimum for the Irish Investment scheme.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101995843

Now there are approx 3.4 billion people in China - most would not even get near the cut off point

It is of note that we are not the only country offering this type of inducement

http://m.ibtimes.com/troubled-european-economies-portugal-spain-greece-lure-wealthy-chinese-willing-invest-millions

Sure I was just joking ... I realise everyone in China is not rich :-)

And I guess it was a typo but it's more like 1.4 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

They were all talking about it on Weixin today. Many are considering Balbriggan. Seriously, this is real.
    But why is it Ireland & Balbriggan, where's that come from? There are other (some are better) places for them to go, they can become Maltese for €650,000, granted with a real certification of naturalization.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

The Chinese, a great bunch of lads

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys

1. Its a residency programme- not a citizenship programme.

2. You can apply for citizenship- after you have been resident here for 7 years- but its not guaranteed.

3.The 500,000 is a donation to charity. If you want to base it on buying a property- the property has to be over 1 million in value. You can buy a cheaper property- if you also invest in public good projects which brings the investment to over 1 million Euro. If its simply an investment- the minimum amount is 2 million Euro. Rental property is not allowed, and breaks the rules of the scheme.

4. There are a whole string of reasons why this can be withdrawn from a person- esp. if they are seen to be subverting the nature of the programme. If Chinese, or anyone else, thinks its a good idea to try to subvert the programme- they will rapidly find out that the Revenue Commissioners- who are tasked with income collection for the INIS- are not to be trifled with.

5. There are several other countries other than Ireland who are seen to be far more welcoming to prospective immigrants- because they don't apply the rules so strictly.

Its pretty much a non-story- and in any event- I really don't see why its anything to do with this forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement