Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to access apartment without my consent

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I really do love this crowd. Sent them a registered letter giving them a months notice that we were leaving 2 weeks ago. It was signed for on the 2nd March by Sarah*

Got a phone call yesterday 'Hi this is Sarah, sorry we only just got your letter now, it was sent to the building next door' - oh really? so why is YOUR name on it saying you signed for it at 10am 2nd March?

"There'll be a viewing at 12 tomorrow".
    -No there won't. There'll be someone here at 5 you can come then.
    "It's booked for 12"
    -Probably should have asked us first? I don't want strangers wandering around the apartment.
    "I'll be there, I'll ensure nobody touches your stuff"
    -You are a stranger.

I don't think there is anything they won't lie about.

wow. With tenant behaviour like that it is no wonder that the LL / tenant relationship is, more often than not, antagonistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

wow. With tenant behaviour like that it is no wonder that the LL / tenant relationship is, more often than not, antagonistic

Nothing wrong with the tenants behaviour here. Would you be happy with the letting agent arranging viewings of your home without consulting you first?

If I was in the tenant I'd set aside 1 evening and /or 1 Saturday for block viewings and I'd be there to keep an eye on things.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

amcalester wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the tenants behaviour here. Would you be happy with the letting agent arranging viewings of your home without consulting you first?

If I was in the tenant I'd set aside 1 evening and /or 1 Saturday for block viewings and I'd be there to keep an eye on things.

Yeah can't see what's wrong with the tenant behaviour here either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Explain what's wrong with my behaviour?

They also still haven't got back to me about the money they owe me for a fob. Pushing on 6 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

They also still haven't got back to me about the money they owe me for a fob. Pushing on 6 weeks now.

Have to agree. If you are okay with block viewing, arrange a mutually agreeable time and date. I seriously think some agents are completely lacking in basic people skills. You could have anything planned on a given day, especially if it is the next day. Maybe you are going to work from home. You could have an interview over skype. Maybe you were planning a orgy. You could even have cleaners coming in, or be expecting a delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

I'm a landlord and I would love to have as decent and reasonable a tenant as this in my property.
    I have one tenant who owes me €5,000 in arrears but if he decides to stop paying his share of the rent again it will take me at least 6 months to have him evicted and I could lose my rental income for that whole period while I still have my mortgage to pay.

One point about the fob though, a lot of management companies charge tenants for replacement fobs. And what's the story with your rent deposit, what will you do if they refuse to repay that?

omnithanos wrote: »
    I'm a landlord and I would love to have as decent and reasonable a tenant as this in my property.
    I have one tenant who owes me €5,000 in arrears but if he decides to stop paying his share of the rent again it will take me at least 6 months to have him evicted and I could lose my rental income for that whole period while I still have my mortgage to pay.

One point about the fob though, a lot of management companies charge tenants for replacement fobs. And what's the story with your rent deposit, what will you do if they refuse to repay that?

I want to give them my fob back. I paid 80e for it. I don't need it anymore. They said they would credit me 80e. I said 'Ok cool here's my bank details' and she said 'No we'll credit your account'. So I asked does that I mean I'd pay 80e less for the rent the following month. She got confused and said she'd ring me back.

Haven't heard a peep since and I've emailed and rang a few times.

I want to give them my fob back. I paid 80e for it. I don't need it anymore. They said they would credit me 80e. I said 'Ok cool here's my bank details' and she said 'No we'll credit your account'. So I asked does that I mean I'd pay 80e less for the rent the following month. She got confused and said she'd ring me back.

Haven't heard a peep since and I've emailed and rang a few times.

Chancers, have you paid your last months rent yet?

omnithanos wrote: »
    Chancers, have you paid your last months rent yet?

Nope. I'm not proud of not paying it but I emailed them asking them how much I should be paying this month and when they get back to me I'll pay it.

Nope. I'm not proud of not paying it but I emailed them asking them how much I should be paying this month and when they get back to me I'll pay it.

I assume it'll just cancel out with your rent deposit anyway but then you'll be left owed €80 for your fob and I'm sure they'll think of some reason not to give it to you.

I have often let tenants use their deposit for their last months rent but then I was in and out all the time and I knew them all well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

This sounds like the management company mishandled the relationship with the tenant. I prefer dealing with individual landlords and I've been lucky to have had some good ones. Even when things go wrong a bit of courtesy can go a long way.

Korat wrote: »
    This sounds like the management company mishandled the relationship with the tenant. I prefer dealing with individual landlords and I've been lucky to have had some good ones. Even when things go wrong a bit of courtesy can go a long way.

The last agency was brilliant. Never had any issues at all with them.

The ad is up on daft for the apartment. 200e more than what we pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The rent amount doesn't change - if you haven't paid then you're breaching your obligations. You have the PRTB and the regulator to deal with if your rights are being encroached upon.

The rent amount doesn't change - if you haven't paid then you're breaching your obligations. You have the PRTB and the regulator to deal with if your rights are being encroached upon.

It doesn't change even though my account 'has been credited'? How am I suppose to get that money back? When I asked about giving them the fob back I wasn't planning on moving out. So how else am I suppose to get the money back?

Yes but it's the last month and they still have her deposit and owe her for the fob so a bit of give and take.

I think what she meant was should she deduct the cost of the fob when she transferred the rent which sounds reasonable to me.

It doesn't change even though my account 'has been credited'? How am I suppose to get that money back? When I asked about giving them the fob back I wasn't planning on moving out. So how else am I suppose to get the money back?

You ask them for the money and if they fail to pay you bring them to the PRTB. You don't withhold rent unless you have explicit permission from the landlord or agent in advance of the rent being due.

Mod bit: We also don't allow advice on such matters here, so if the thread continues in the I haven't paid my rent to recoup my losses/bills vein it will be locked before everyone gets in bother for breaching the charter.

The PRTB and the regulator won't realistically act on this. I don't even know what the PRTB do apart from collect registration fees.

You ask them for the money and if they fail to pay you bring them to the PRTB. You don't withhold rent unless you have explicit permission from the landlord or agent in advance of the rent being due.

I did ask them for the money. They told me they credited my account. When asked what this meant, she didn't know.

I asked them could I withhold the 80e and they said they will get back to me.

I have no problem paying the rent and will pay it when they tell me if I can withhold the 80 or not. If they tell me I can't withhold the 80e I'll still pay it. I'm just waiting on them to get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D12resident

When we paid for our Fobs it was included in a lump sum payment we paid with first month's rent/deposits etc. So I don't see how/why they could reason they want to pay back the payment separately. They want to make the system suit them instead of taking you into consideration, which is par for the course with this crowd.

I would just go on assumption that it's okay. Ask them how they'd like the fob returned, and do as they ask. Take the €80 off the rent, and if they come back saying they wanted to handle it separately, they will realise that the bother involved having to refund you the amount, and then arrange for you to give it back again won't be worth it.

In a situation like this with such a small amount of money, it's better to owe the money and know you will pay it, rather than be owed and not know if you're ever going to get it.

FYI for others, I'm in the same apartment complex and have first hand experience of how completely disorganised this crowd are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D12resident

I did ask them for the money. They told me they credited my account. When asked what this meant, she didn't know.

I asked them could I withhold the 80e and they said they will get back to me.

I have no problem paying the rent and will pay it when they tell me if I can withhold the 80 or not. If they tell me I can't withhold the 80e I'll still pay it. I'm just waiting on them to get back to me.

Did they pay it into the rent payers account??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Hi OP,

Note that there are many many landlords on this forum so naturally they are going to be defensive.

You are doing the right thing, however I would liaise with the PTRB for everything. If everything checks out that the landlord is doing illegal things then you will be able to raise a dispute and possibly fine them for a couple of grand for inconveniences to your right to peaceful enjoyment of your property.

Ensure you know your rights as a tenant and if you are in doubt of anything then contact the PRTB.

Sounds like quite an inconvenience, best of luck

When we paid for our Fobs it was included in a lump sum payment we paid with first month's rent/deposits etc. So I don't see how/why they could reason they want to pay back the payment separately. They want to make the system suit them instead of taking you into consideration, which is par for the course with this crowd.

I would just go on assumption that it's okay. Ask them how they'd like the fob returned, and do as they ask. Take the €80 off the rent, and if they come back saying they wanted to handle it separately, they will realise that the bother involved having to refund you the amount, and then arrange for you to give it back again won't be worth it.

In a situation like this with such a small amount of money, it's better to owe the money and know you will pay it, rather than be owed and not know if you're ever going to get it.

FYI for others, I'm in the same apartment complex and have first hand experience of how completely disorganised this crowd are.
    lima wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Note that there are many many landlords on this forum so naturally they are going to be defensive.

You are doing the right thing, however I would liaise with the PTRB for everything. If everything checks out that the landlord is doing illegal things then you will be able to raise a dispute and possibly fine them for a couple of grand for inconveniences to your right to peaceful enjoyment of your property.

Ensure you know your rights as a tenant and if you are in doubt of anything then contact the PRTB.

Sounds like quite an inconvenience, best of luck

Non Payment of rent is not the right thing, if doesn't matter what side of the tenant/landlord relationship you fall on with this issue.
    If rent is due on the 1st of the month and you don't pay it on that date, you are in arrears and in breach of your obligations of both your lease & the RTA.

There is to be no more talk or encouragement of non payment of rent on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

I am not condoning the non-payment of rent.

I am referring to the OP challenging the activities of the landlord as they are breaching the rights of the tenant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Stench Blossoms-

Don't withold your rent.

If the agent has advised you that there has been 80 Euro credited to your account for the return of the key fob- fine. Make a working assumption that you have a credit for 80 Euro- and pay the remainder. It is not your prerogative to withold rent- and after the mutually antagonistic relationship you and the agent have had- you are only storing up trouble for yourself by taking this gung-ho attitude.

Neither you- nor the agent- appear to be whiter than white in your dealings with one another- however- witholding rent is a no-no, and is a red line we cannot and will not tolerate discussion of in this forum.

Please sort it. I'm closing this thread- as I really don't see how or why there is any point in allowing it run any further.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement