Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eight dogs shot dead in Clare

• 20-02-2015 2:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Mod note: Folks, the following link contains a photo of the dead dogs following the sheep attack. Some people may be distressed by such a photo, so take this as a warning that discretion is advised.
    Thanks,
    DBB

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/eight-dogs-shot-clare-sheep-attack/

Dogs came onto private land and started attacking sheep, a farmer went to save the distressed sheep.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

As much as I love dogs, it's only right the farmer defended his sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's very sad but the farmer did what he had to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The only person to blame here is the dogs owner.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

What I would like to know is who will deal with the consequences. If there are losses due to the stress caused to the animals, do the farmers have any comeback against the owner, or does he get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Dogs owners are responsible for the damage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

aaakev wrote: »
    Dogs owners are responsible for the damage

Good. Realistically though, do farmers get fair and correct compensation in the case of a less obvious impact? I mean is there any hassle linking later losses to the incident, let's say a few weeks later? I have no idea, so I'm just wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

As an animal lover I always hate hearing of dogs being shot like this. Of course the farmer is well within their rights to protect their livestock, and unfortunately this sometimes is the only choice. I just wish people would take responsibility for their own dogs and keep them under control. Only last night we had a dog stray into our garden and had our cats been outside it would have done it's best to kill them (going on previous experience anyway). There's a field of sheep with newborn lambs not very far from my house so if the dog went in there next I'd imagine it would have met a very swift end.

I saw a post on facebook this morning about someone who had an ex battery rescue hen killed by hunt dogs straying into their land. Does anyone know if the same type of thing in regard to compensation etc would apply in this kind of situation or would it only be for farmers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Poor dogs. Don't blame the farmer though. Poor sheep too :( Stupid f.ucking owners (and I hate them more because they were hunting). W*nkers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oink wrote: »
    Good. Realistically though, do farmers get fair and correct compensation in the case of a less obvious impact? I mean is there any hassle linking later losses to the incident, let's say a few weeks later? I have no idea, so I'm just wondering.
    Good luck finding the owners in the first place I'd guess; I'd say chances are far higher that the owners will swear to have never seen or owned them when approached on the subject and claim ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Nody wrote: »
    Good luck finding the owners in the first place I'd guess; I'd say chances are far higher that the owners will swear to have never seen or owned them when approached on the subject and claim ignorance.

But did you look at the pic? They're hunting hounds, so should be affiliated to a hunt kennels, be that the county hunt or a local club.

The farmer did what he had to do unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

But did you look at the pic? They're hunting hounds, so should be affiliated to a hunt kennels, be that the county hunt or a local club.

The farmer did what he had to do unfortunately.
    In this case yes and the article lists 1 owner for them all (so assuming identified person); but taking about incidents with dogs in general I'd say it's not the case (once again I could be wrong I'm far from an expert on the subject).

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Nobody to blame here only silly careless owners.
    Farmer had to protect his livestock and livelihood and dogs were just being dogs very sad hearing them all shot and now owners are probably all upset and kicking up a fuss when really it's there carelessness that did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

As an animal lover I always hate hearing of dogs being shot like this. Of course the farmer is well within their rights to protect their livestock, and unfortunately this sometimes is the only choice. I just wish people would take responsibility for their own dogs and keep them under control. Only last night we had a dog stray into our garden and had our cats been outside it would have done it's best to kill them (going on previous experience anyway). There's a field of sheep with newborn lambs not very far from my house so if the dog went in there next I'd imagine it would have met a very swift end.

I saw a post on facebook this morning about someone who had an ex battery rescue hen killed by hunt dogs straying into their land. Does anyone know if the same type of thing in regard to compensation etc would apply in this kind of situation or would it only be for farmers?

Saw the same post - but in all fairness I've never heard of a hunt having to re-imburse people for damages done...the only thing I could imagine would help against hunters on the land is a big nasty fence and a something else (like electric rail or so) running above that fence. I do find it annoying that 'normal' pet owners don't have the right to defend their pets against hunting dogs.One wonders if the hunt would be as quick in trespassing territory if they would be met with a loaded gun.

Feel very sorry for the farmer and the owner in regards to the topic- but again, if the owner had restrained his dogs, they would be alive today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Nody wrote:

Farmer shoots dogs and keeps quiet. Sooner or later someone will be looking for missing dogs and it's easy find the owner then.

I see people here saying they are animal lovers and feel sorry for the dogs but take a moment to think of the sheep being ripped apart by these dogs. The dog usually gets a swift end compared to the sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

sean1141 wrote: »
    Farmer shoots dogs and keeps quiet. Sooner or later someone will be looking for missing dogs and it's easy find the owner then.

I see people here saying they are animal lovers and feel sorry for the dogs but take a moment to think of the sheep being ripped apart by these dogs. The dog usually gets a swift end compared to the sheep.

Farmer has to report the shooting to the gardai within 24 hours or he could loose his license to keep a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

careless hunters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Nobody to blame here only silly careless owners.
    Farmer had to protect his livestock and livelihood and dogs were just being dogs very sad hearing them all shot and now owners are probably all upset and kicking up a fuss when really it's there carelessness that did it.

IME hunting folk take their lumps. My brother had his poultry decimated by a neighbour's gundog (don't know the breed) and the owner put his hand in his pocket to pay for the losses without any prompting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

sean1141 wrote: »

I think by law, the farmer has to notify the Gardai within 24 or 48 hours.

I can't see anyone here arguing against your second point, of course animal lovers feel sorry for the sheep as well as the dogs, you can have empathy for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was shocked to find that they use dogs to hunt deer. I thought that hunters shot deer. I pity the animals who were savaged by the dogs. Terrible owners, but sure no doubt they'll replace the dogs and won't be surprised if it happens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

doubter wrote: »
    Farmer has to report the shooting to the gardai within 24 hours or he could loose his license to keep a gun.
    Yes but the owners of the dogs wont know the dogs have been shot and may still come looking for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Feel nothing but sympathy for the farmer, not an easy thing to do but had to protect his livelihood, particularly at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Clever Deer. Must have deliberately got the Dogs to chase towards the farmers sheep to get them off his or her back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In general once the dog owner is identified they are fully liable for the loss the farmer incurs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The dog owner is fully liable, but having worked with representatives of farmers who have experienced multiple attacks on their flocks, despite the owners being identified, the proportion of cases where the owner compensates the farmer "unofficially", let alone those that go forward for prosecution, is pretty small.
    For instance, one farmer has had 12 attacks in his lifetime, and out of those he was compenstated once.
    Part of the problem seems to be that the owners get a call from the guards and are told to get rid of the dog(s) one way or the other, and that's the end of it. I really believe that this is just not good enough. These cases need to go through the courts to show the dog-owning public that if they're going to be irresponsible, it could cost them dearly. As it stands, accidents aside, people clearly have no worries about letting their dogs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I think the branding of owners of dogs that attack sheep as stupid/irresponsible/careless is unhelpful.

while it is the dog owners responsibility to pay for the damage done, they usually only pay when there's dead sheep, ourselves have only been paid once for countless attacks

once notified the guards should work with the farmer + dog warden to convict the owner for the damage done, ignoring those that aborted etc
    I kinda want to see the response when i ring up the local station and say "i want to report a shooting" they'd be here in 2 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

From personal experience half the local legal profession, be they solicitors, barristers or judges, are involved in the hunt and getting anything out of them is nigh on impossible even though hunts are by law supposed to be insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I was shocked to find that they use dogs to hunt deer. I thought that hunters shot deer. I pity the animals who were savaged by the dogs. Terrible owners, but sure no doubt they'll replace the dogs and won't be surprised if it happens again.

I'm against hunting but as far as I know, the dogs are used to locate a deer which has been shot so that it can be finished off rather than having it running off somewhere injured. Still think they're w*nkers but apparently that is the thinking behind the use of a dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, discussion of blood sports is not permitted by the forum charter. As per the charter, if it's a topic you want to discuss, head over to the hunting forum.
    Back on topic now please.
    Also, as there have been complaints, can we cool down on the bad language and name-calling please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭arctictree

There is a type of person who just does not give a sh!t about their dogs and what they do. I see it around here. Small dogs roaming the road and all it takes is for them to jump into a field of sheep/lambs and there is mayhem. This type of owner would not know a dog lead if they were hit with it.

• Advertisement

Frankie Coote quote ......

“is unusual for hunting dogs to do this but all dogs will do it.”

:confused:

Advertisement