Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel NUC Broadwell SILENTenough for HTPC behind a TV?

Options
  • 20-02-2015 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Anyone got the new Intel Nuc with Broadwell. i3 or i5?
    Looking to set up a new HTPC behind my tv but not sure if one of these would get too noisy to use as a HTPC running plex and plex app on Samsung smart TV.
    Looking at running samsung 840 evo SSD as main ssd inside and then run a couple of 2TB 2.5" usb powered HD's on the usb3.0 ports externally

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Johnny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As the previous NUC versions are silent enough is there any reason to expect anything different in the new versions?

If anything I would expect them to require less cooling.

An i3 or i5 is overdoing it if all you need is a HTPC running something like Openelec with Kodi.

I suppose if you intend to use Windows then the i3 might be needed .... I have no experience of that.

A NUC Celeron version is well capable of being a HTPC with Full HD output.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

As the previous NUC versions are silent enough is there any reason to expect anything different in the new versions?

If anything I would expect them to require less cooling.

An i3 or i5 is overdoing it if all you need is a HTPC running something like Openelec with Kodi.

I suppose if you intend to use Windows then the i3 might be needed .... I have no experience of that.

A NUC Celeron version is well capable of being a HTPC with Full HD output.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blass

Anyone got the new Intel Nuc with Broadwell. i3 or i5?
    Looking to set up a new HTPC behind my tv but not sure if one of these would get too noisy to use as a HTPC running plex and plex app on Samsung smart TV.
    Looking at running samsung 840 evo SSD as main ssd inside and then run a couple of 2TB 2.5" usb powered HD's on the usb3.0 ports externally

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Johnny
    I have the Intel NUC 2820 (with the 2830 chip) and it is virtually silent. I dual booted it with Linux Mint and Openelec/Kodi. Works a treat. Linux Mint is great , I use it mainly for browsing, some video creation/editing and office productivity plus its FREE. One limitation is that the cpu is not powerful enough for modern 3d gaming and will struggle with any games beyond the very basic. This is due to the graphics card being integrated rather than stand alone I think. Overall for your intents the 2820 should be more than enough horsepower.

Advertisement