Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering converting to Mac

Options
  • 20-02-2015 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So I'm currently in the market for a new laptop as I need one for college. I have a powerful PC but want a laptop so I can do work when in college. I do a lot of programming and work a lot with many applications such as word, Photoshop, Eclipse, and some networking software such as Wireshark and Packet tracer. I work on many projects so I need something that is comfortable to type on and need something that is light enough to carry with me every day.

The last couple of day's I have been looking at laptops and I've kinda decided on the Macbook Pro retina with a 8GB RAM and a 128SSD (possibly 256GB SSD), however I've heard that once you purchase you cannot upgrade RAM as the ram is soldered to motherboard.
    I've heard that the older model however (Non Retina), is upgradeable.

Budget is kinda stiff, am looking to spend between 1,000 and 1,400 (max)

Should I go for the retina or Non-retina? Is there much in the difference other than the screen+cd-drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

You'll get better answers in the Mac forum.

But definitely go for retina. And max it out to your budget. As like your aware ram is soldered on the mobo and non upgradagable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The SSD can be replaced down the line, it's a little fiddly but they are a standard format (PCI-e?).

Advertisement