Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant decide G&G GKM (AKM) or G&G M14 EBR

Options
  • 20-02-2015 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi i cant decide between these two rifles , the AK is 90 euro cheaper and comes with two batteries and charger from irish dealer , and the M14 battery and charger are extras , ok that been said I will buy the better rifle , I would really appreciate any advice on which one to buy money is not the issue here Thanks retro d

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

As an EBR owner can tell you they are so front heavy its ridiculous. Beautifull gun all the same, performance-wise I was a little disapointed I expected more from it, pumped alot of moola into upgrades and got a marginal increase. Now all that being said I still love the gun and despite all its downsides I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Both are very good and I am a fan of all G&G made AEGs but I would not buy the M14 as it is probably the heaviest AEG currently on the market 4.5kg and is a pain in the naughty bits to lug around all day, yes it looks very nice but it is badly balanced and all of the weight is forward and is carried in the front hand

The GKM weights 3.8kg yes it is only 700g lighter but the balance point is between the hand and as such feels lighter as the weight is distributed equally between the hand
    A further advantage there is a lot more internal upgrade parts available for the Version3 gearbox used by the GKM as opposed to the Version7 used in the M14

Anyway that’s my opinion and others will differ with me but the best advice is go to a shop and get your hand on both before you decide as looks alone are a poor choice as a reason to buy an AEG
    One last thing as both are G&G both will serve you well and should be good to go straight out of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭retro d

As an EBR owner can tell you they are so front heavy its ridiculous. Beautifull gun all the same, performance-wise I was a little disapointed I expected more from it, pumped alot of moola into upgrades and got a marginal increase. Now all that being said I still love the gun and despite all its downsides I still love it.
    Thank you , so out of the box not as great as you thought , I have seen a lot of reviews on youtube and the reviews are saying this is one of the best guns ever , do you use a heavy bb .25 or .28 , I suppose if an upgrade is available its obviously the way to go

DeBurca wrote: »
    Both are very good and I am a fan of all G&G made AEGs but I would not buy the M14 as it is probably the heaviest AEG currently on the market 4.5kg and is a pain in the naughty bits to lug around all day, yes it looks very nice but it is badly balanced and all of the weight is forward and is carried in the front hand

The GKM weights 3.8kg yes it is only 700g lighter but the balance point is between the hand and as such feels lighter as the weight is distributed equally between the hand
    A further advantage there is a lot more internal upgrade parts available for the Version3 gearbox used by the GKM as opposed to the Version7 used in the M14

Anyway that’s my opinion and others will differ with me but the best advice is go to a shop and get your hand on both before you decide as looks alone are a poor choice as a reason to buy an AEG
    One last thing as both are G&G both will serve you well and should be good to go straight out of the box
    Thank you that's very interesting about the upgrades for the GKM opposed to the M14 , I wasn't worried about weight but carrying the M14 all day is gonna be tiring obviously , my heart was set on the M14 since last summer but you told me more information just there in 1 minute than all the hours of reviews I seen on youtube Thank you , I was goin on looks the M14 looks fierce , I could be getting an AK so

the other reason was the local club I shoot with use the AK as there weapon of choice might have to get the gold plated AK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

retro d wrote: »
    Thank you , so out of the box not as great as you thought , I have seen a lot of reviews on youtube and the reviews are saying this is one of the best guns ever , do you use a heavy bb .25 or .28 , I suppose if an upgrade is available its obviously the way to go

You forgetting some of these reviews were probably in the states where fps is significantly higher so range is better, but I found the range was average at best even with .28g. I suppose when you look at the shear size, weight and intimidation factor you want it to be a beast but as I said average at best.

And the gearbox is an abolute pain in the whole, motor cage is flimsy out and break in nearly all G&G M14, gears are also proprietary, motor is underpowered, and to lower FPS for some retailers to our limit G&G fit type 3 cylinders with a barrel in 509mm in length, ratio is way off.

Best thing to do is to visit a retailer think airsofteire still do em and try it out, know what your buying before you take the plunge.

You forgetting some of these reviews were probably in the states where fps is significantly higher so range is better, but I found the range was average at best even with .28g. I suppose when you look at the shear size, weight and intimidation factor you want it to be a beast but as I said average at best.

And the gearbox is an abolute pain in the whole, motor cage is flimsy out and break in nearly all G&G M14, gears are also proprietary, motor is underpowered, and to lower FPS for some retailers to our limit G&G fit type 3 cylinders with a barrel in 509mm in length, ratio is way off.

Best thing to do is to visit a retailer think airsofteire still do em and try it out, know what your buying before you take the plunge.

Thanks mate , your right most reviews were American and uk with the higher fps il definitely try the M14 out first, like you said with a few upgrades it can work sweet G&G are fairly decent make I'm still undecided so il try before i buy ya it was Airsofteire i was looking at excellent service from them all the best mate

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Have owned the G&G GKM for a few months now
    I'll say firstly I now Love my GKM.
    Out of the box from airsofteire ( don't mind saying their name as the after sales treatment wasn't great) it had some issues.

If I was to do it again I'd track down a LCT

The Ak comes with two 11.1 lipos out of the box ,maybe in the American market or other high fps markets this is fine but with a one joule spring its too much.

When I received the gun it was firing around 300fps which was fine , but would double or even triple fire when on semi due to motor over spin.

Shop took it back without complaint and returned it with a stronger spring
    unfortunately this upped the fps to 335-340 (tested on 3 separate chronos with photos to prove) , shop said they would take it back but they were 100% it was under the joule and if they tested and found it to be so I would have to pay for the shipping involved.

I didnt bother sending it , I opened it up.On opening I discovered the spring had already been cut, badly with sharp edge left. very disappointing.
    also the piston teeth were badly worn from the overspin.

I cut a coil and a half off spring (correctly).I then installed a mosfet an it is now running great .

Hope this helps your decision.

J-W wrote: »
    Have owned the G&G GKM for a few months now
    I'll say firstly I now Love my GKM.
    Out of the box from airsofteire ( don't mind saying their name as the after sales treatment wasn't great) it had some issues.

If I was to do it again I'd track down a LCT

The Ak comes with two 11.1 lipos out of the box ,maybe in the American market or other high fps markets this is fine but with a one joule spring its too much.

When I received the gun it was firing around 300fps which was fine , but would double or even triple fire when on semi due to motor over spin.

Shop took it back without complaint and returned it with a stronger spring
    unfortunately this upped the fps to 335-340 (tested on 3 separate chronos with photos to prove) , shop said they would take it back but they were 100% it was under the joule and if they tested and found it to be so I would have to pay for the shipping involved.

I didnt bother sending it , I opened it up.On opening I discovered the spring had already been cut, badly with sharp edge left. very disappointing.
    also the piston teeth were badly worn from the overspin.

I cut a coil and a half off spring (correctly).I then installed a mosfet an it is now running great .

Hope this helps your decision.
    Thanks mate for the great advice i bit the bullet and bought the GKM , either gun will shoot great with the upgrades , but i couldn't resist the 2 batteries and charger with the GKM i will look into the mosfet anything that will help performance has to be got , Thanks guys for the very helpful advice

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Awesome , well as I said it an awesome piece once sorted and make a very pleasing clink on full auto.
    I dropped in the tiny gate picossr3 mosfet with no probs placed it just up by the fuse below the top cover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement