Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after spay??

Options
  • 20-02-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi i was hoping someone could tell me pretty much what to expect in my dogs behaivour etc after an op? My girl, Brandi was spayed yesterday, this morning i noticed alot of blood oozing from her incision.. i took her back to the vets this morning and theyve stapled part of it back up.. now tonight, shes woken me crying again n iv had a wee look shes bleeding again and clearly uncomfortable.. I want to know what is and isnt normal after surgery? theres so much variety of information online regarding this that i honestly dont know whats what! Any help would be appreciated, Thankyoou
    -A tired mumma & her furbaby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd call the vet and see what they say. When Lucy was spayed there was a dressing stuck on to keep the wound clean on the Friday and it stayed on until the Monday. They vet had said if it started to come off we could remove it ourselves but we didn't want to see the wound so left it alone lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

the bleeding should be minimal to non existent. She also should not be in pain as painkillers would have been given at surgery, usually long acting.Otherwise you'd be given some tablets.Get a second vet to look at it, but definitely back to vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Is the dog licking the wound causing it to rupture or not heal in any way possibly? Maybe a cone would prevent this? I'd bring the dog back though either way to ensure all is ok as it's not something I'd be happy to take a chance on.

My brothers dog had it done recently and there was none of this apart from being uncomfortable for a day or so where she just wanted to lay next to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

My girl went through the op in Jan and was very uncomfortable the first night but after that I think just found the cone really awkward. I felt horrible but made her keep it on for the 10 days because I wanted to be sure she healed ok. I thought she might have been in pain because she was so shakey for a few days after but I was told it was actually an after-effect of the anaesthetic. I was actually surprised how quickly the wound seemed to heal up on the outside - it didn't bleed at all but I didn't let her jump up/down to the bed or couch and carried her on the stairs as well. It was a tough week - maybe helpful that she's a bit older & even though she loves her walks she is a very patient dog!

Advertisement