Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wide fit boots

Options
  • 20-02-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me, I am in kerry but at this point location is irrelevant to me as I need fairly specific boots so will be willing to travel.

Today I tried zamberlan, meindl and scarpa boots, all of which are too narrow for me, I am wondering if hanwag would be better however I am having trouble locating stockists. Many thanks. M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seankb

I have a pair of hanwag and I have quite a wide foot and ding them quite good. I bought them about 5 years ago in radar stores in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you ever tried Magnum boots? The Elites are pricey, but I found it to have a wide base.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Today I tried zamberlan, meindl and scarpa boots, all of which are too narrow for me, I am wondering if hanwag would be better however I am having trouble locating stockists. Many thanks. M.
    Italian boots like Zamberlan or Scarpa tend to be on the narrow side anyway, so that's no surprise, and Meindl are pretty middle of the road in that regard.

Hanwag boots are a bit wider, and I personally am a big fan. I have wide-ish feet and just take the standard fitting Hanwags but they do do certain models in a special wide (or even narrow) fitting.

I've ordered mine on spec over the Internet as, up until now at least, I've just ordered the same model, but now they've changed their lineup so next time I'll have to find a B&M shop. They used to have them in the Scout Shop and in Coleman's of Sandyford but neither shop stocks them now which is a pity.

The Hanwag website (Find a retailer) shows 3 stockists here, on Limerick, Dundalk and Clifden and one up North (Cotswold Outdoor in Belfast). I'd doubt if these shops would have the stock numbers to also have the wide fitting boots as well but you could give them a ring.

If that fails, you could try Lowa boots, as they're very similar (the founders of both Hanwag and Lowa were brothers!) They have them in 53 Degrees North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you ever tried Magnum boots? The Elites are pricey, but I found it to have a wide base.

Thanks I'll have a look, the price is immaterial as I need boots to fit and am willing to spend what it takes, I used to alway have brasher boots anyway which aren't cheap.

Alun wrote: »
    Italian boots like Zamberlan or Scarpa tend to be on the narrow side anyway, so that's no surprise, and Meindl are pretty middle of the road in that regard.

Hanwag boots are a bit wider, and I personally am a big fan. I have wide-ish feet and just take the standard fitting Hanwags but they do do certain models in a special wide (or even narrow) fitting.

I've ordered mine on spec over the Internet as, up until now at least, I've just ordered the same model, but now they've changed their lineup so next time I'll have to find a B&M shop. They used to have them in the Scout Shop and in Coleman's of Sandyford but neither shop stocks them now which is a pity.

The Hanwag website (Find a retailer) shows 3 stockists here, on Limerick, Dundalk and Clifden and one up North (Cotswold Outdoor in Belfast). I'd doubt if these shops would have the stock numbers to also have the wide fitting boots as well but you could give them a ring.

If that fails, you could try Lowa boots, as they're very similar (the founders of both Hanwag and Lowa were brothers!) They have them in 53 Degrees North.

Thanks for the info, I had been led to believe that the zamberlan did a good wide fit, so had a 100 mile round trip today to find they weren't at all!! While there I was told that meindl would be the widest commonly available so went across town to the shop that sells them to find that they aren't wide either. And these were both supposedly expert outdoors shops that were advising me. But never mind at least I now know.

Thanks for telling me about the lowa boots as well.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me, I am in kerry but at this point location is irrelevant to me as I need fairly specific boots so will be willing to travel.

gone through this lately myself pain in the hole finding different sizes in Ireland :rolleyes: usual ah shure one size will fit all the dopey punters--are you looking for wide fitting around toebox or generally wide ?

duckysauce wrote: »
    gone through this lately myself pain in the hole finding different sizes in Ireland :rolleyes: usual ah shure one size will fit all the dopey punters--are you looking for wide fitting around toebox or generally wide ?

Yes I know what you mean I had one shoe shop try and sell me a pair of boots three sizes bigger than I need saying that was the only way I would get a wider boot.

Yes, wide toe box is what I need.

Yes I know what you mean I had one shoe shop try and sell me a pair of boots three sizes bigger than I need saying that was the only way I would get a wider boot.

Yes, wide toe box is what I need.

:D:D had the same in a very well know shop in dublin, boots were 2 sizes bigger-- creasing at the front in the totally wrong place and she was saying that it was normal :eek: . Eventually shoes wise settled with Merells very roomy at the front and foot doesn't move around .

Boot wise have taken the http://www.altberg.co.uk/stockist-product/the-malham-mens-boot/

Narrow at heel wide at front , seem to be the business but have only worn them 3 times so far and not on long hikes so will know in a month or two.

:D:D had the same in a very well know shop in dublin, boots were 2 sizes bigger-- creasing at the front in the totally wrong place and she was saying that it was normal :eek: .
    If it's the shop I think it is I've stopped going there for this very reason. They always insist I'm 1-2 sizes bigger than I know I am, and have worn for over 30 years, and then try and upsell me some overpriced memory foam insoles to make up the difference when I complain they're too big. Scam.

:D:D Boot wise have taken the http://www.altberg.co.uk/stockist-product/the-malham-mens-boot/

Narrow at heel wide at front , seem to be the business but have only worn them 3 times so far and not on long hikes so will know in a month or two.
    Did you try them on somewhere first or did you just buy them on spec online?

I had never heard of them to be honest, but I really like the look of the Mallerstang boot with the one piece upper, no seams to let water in there. It's a pity they have no stockists over here or in the North though.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Did you try them on somewhere first or did you just buy them on spec online?

I had never heard of them to be honest, but I really like the look of the Mallerstang boot with the one piece upper, no seams to let water in there. It's a pity they have no stockists over here or in the North though.

Tried them on when over in the Uk on a trip seem true to size --size wise .

Tried them on when over in the Uk on a trip seem true to size --size wise .
    Sounds good. I may be over in Yorkshire some time this year, I'll try and pay the factory shop a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A few months ago, my cousin told me about a guy in Mayo who is/was/going to start making boots to order. If it's any good I could check it out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ubald

Meindl's Comfort Fit range of footwear (Bernina, Matrei, Meran) are built on a wider last than other Meindl footwear and are typically well suited to people with a wide foot.

Ubald wrote: »
    Meindl's Comfort Fit range of footwear (Bernina, Matrei, Meran) are built on a wider last than other Meindl footwear and are typically well suited to people with a wide foot.

yep they are wide all over though and the Matrei and Meran are utter scutter they are like wellies and the sole is junk you can feel pebbles through them the bernina looks like a proper boot

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ubald

Personally, I would take Bernina as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ambulator

Lowa Stirling have a very wide toe box but are not too wide elswhere. I don't think this applies to all Lowa models. I also have Lowa Renegade for lighter use. The Renegade toe box seems a normal width. You need to check with a stockist if you can find one.
    I live in Galway and bought mine in "Call of the Wild" outdoor shop in Sligo. Don't know if there are any other stockists in west of Ireland.

BTW. I was a big fan of Meindl boots and wore them for about 20 years. The quality has plummeted in recent years. I think they have been outsourced to Asia somewhere. I changed to Lowa. I have no regrets so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Have hanwag boots great boot here is the wide fit in the ones i got http://www.hanwag.com/tatra-top-wide-gtxr

Have hanwag boots great boot here is the wide fit in the ones i got http://www.hanwag.com/tatra-top-wide-gtxr

I have a pair of those on order now, after they arrive and I'm happy with the fit is it ok to recommend the retailer as they have been great so far?

I have a pair of those on order now, after they arrive and I'm happy with the fit is it ok to recommend the retailer as they have been great so far?
    I have worn Hanwag boots for years too, the Lima GTX, which they've discontinued unfortunately. My wife wears the same boot, and we've always bought them from a small independent shop in the English Lake District that do very reasonable P&P. They don't have every Hanwag model on their website but can get anything you want within a few days.

• Advertisement

Will be interested to how you find them, as I ordered the wide version a while back and found them very narrow at the front.

Best of luck with them

Advertisement