Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test cricket schedules?

Options
  • 20-02-2015 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Would anyone be able to explain how test cricket match scheduling works please?

Do individual countries just agree games between themselves as they wish or does the ICC make all teams play everyone else at least once in a certain time period?

For example England never seem to play Zimbabwe or Bangladesh in test matches but obviously play Australia every 2 years and are forever playing the other top test nations.

Makes me wonder how do the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh actually get games at test level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I hear them talking about the Future Tours Program. It's probably incredibly complex. Looking at it, it seems pretty balanced with some great series to look forward to. The Ashes of course, SA tour India, NZ in Australia and England go to SA.

Do you really want to see Bangladesh and Zim play the big boys? The big boys playing the big boys away from home are pretty one sided affairs as it is. England and Australia go the Caribbean soon, I don't expect much of a contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

The same could be said if we ever get there. The cry from Cricket Ireland is all about test status but if we were to achieve this and end up like Zimbabwe or Bangladesh and just end up playing the odd test here and there amongst ourselves then the question from an Irish perspective might be: what's the point?

Also if you can pick and choose tests and who you play then the whole ranking of test nations seems rather flawed to me which the ICC appear to put a lot of weight on.

Apologies if these questions / observations are all rather naive but with the WC on at the moment I'm taking the time to look more into the structure and organisation of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Have to start somewhere. No where to hide in test cricket never mind a test series. And it's not like Bangladesh don't play test cricket or it's just the odd one amongst the poorer teams. They play seven this year. They host Pakistan, India, SA and Australia. Imagine Ireland having that and the ODIs and T20 games that form part of those tours.

Advertisement