Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many times have you experienced an intense attraction to someone

• 20-02-2015 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

I can see a man and think, he is attractive and id like to get to know him and things can develop from there but that insane primal intense attraction to someone, I would say that this has only happened to me about twice in my life.

That kind of attraction where you can barely be in the same room and you just have to control yourself and its really awkward to be around the person. Usually it is a mutual thing. Sometimes it can be so awkward that you actually go out of your way to avoid the person. I don't think that happens too often.

Does this happen more for men? and how often do people experience this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

About 5 times, today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

About 5 times, today.

Did one of those times come from reading the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

This should be good

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Happens everytime i look in the mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A few times, mainly when I was a teenager and every girl was the "one", for about a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vlad Dog Putin

you old woman?
    no children , this is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

II find it happens quite a lot actually, well it did before I got married. bald and tall with a sense of humour will usually have me weak at the knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Happens everytime i look in the mirror
    Good for you Clinton good for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Saralee4 wrote: »
    I can see a man and think, he is attractive and id like to get to know him and things can develop from there but that insane primal intense attraction to someone, I would say that this has only happened to me about twice in my life.

That kind of attraction where you can barely be in the same room and you just have to control yourself and its really awkward to be around the person. Usually it is a mutual thing. Sometimes it can be so awkward that you actually go out of your way to avoid the person. I don't think that happens too often.

Post a pic and I'll tell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

Every morning on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

I work in retail, you fall in love at least 3 times a day in retail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

you old woman?
    no children , this is normal.

haha yea and I have cats. I actually have a child and one on the way and a husband so don't worry about me Vlad!

no I know its normal, just it didn't happen that often not that intense anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

II find it happens quite a lot actually, well it did before I got married. bald and tall with a sense of humour will usually have me weak at the knees.

Mmmm...I just might be your ideal man ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

scouttio wrote: »
    I work in retail, you fall in love at least 3 times a day in retail

Whilst hating everyone else.

Doom wrote: »
    Mmmm...I just might be your ideal man ;-)

If I ever get divorced can I send you a PM? Keep my options open like...

So tempted to post a pic in this thread and have ya all weak at the knees ...oh well then here.

http://greylinecreative.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DSC_2465.jpg

HELLO BOYS! ;)

haha yea and I have cats.
    I need a pic of cats please.:)

So tempted to post a pic in this thread and have ya all weak at the knees ...oh well then here.

http://greylinecreative.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DSC_2465.jpg

HELLO BOYS! ;)

Twins!!! :o

I need a pic of cats please.:)

haha im joking, not a cat person at all. no offense to you LittleKittylou :)

haha im joking, not a cat person at all. no offense to you LittleKittylou :)
    That's ok ...i guess :(

• Advertisement

Well that was a brief romance

Well that was a brief romance
    i'm fickle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I had it with a guy at work years ago. Big ridey head on him and about seven feet tall. Deep voice. Deep blue eyes. Major swoonage.

We hooked up drunkenly a few times and after that it became unbearable to be around him in the office. We'd bump into each other in the corridor and he'd look down at me and I'd look up at him and he'd give me this secret, knowing smile and we'd exchange dumb niceties about work-related bullsh1t all the while thinking "YOU BIG RIDE. YOU BIG, BLOODY RIDE" and I'd end up avoiding eye contact and running away.

Ah, Tony from Accounts. Thems were the days.

Twins!!! :o
    awh!

Hopsdrops wrote: »
    How do you feel when this happens? Where is the feeling in your body?

Ahhh make it stop!!!

Hopsdrops wrote: »
    How do you feel when this happens? Where is the feeling in your body?
    I feel it in the .........orifice .....

sorry sorry i meant the office i feel it in the office

i'm fickle

Oh really? Then yeah I love cats or whatever too I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Much more common for men I imagine. I read of some studies were women were given testosterone and found themselves more intensely attracted to many more men almost all day every day and at the end of the study asked the blokes how the fcuk they coped having to live like that. " Welcome to our world ladies!!"

Oh really? Then yeah I love cats or whatever too I guess
    i'm a pickle.....no i'm fickle

littlekittylou does need your approval or for you to like littlekittylou because she talks about herself in the third person.

But she likes that you love cats:)
    ok i will stop that now...you are too cool for me captain ...i am just a salty pickle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm short, full head of hair and humourless. Now I get it.

Calibos wrote: »
    Much more common for men I imagine. I read of some studies were women were given testosterone and found themselves more intensely attracted to many more men almost all day every day and at the end of the study asked the blokes how the fcuk they coped having to live like that. " Welcome to our world ladies!!"

Yea it's kind of a mixture of excitement that something is going to happen and dreading that something is going to happen at the same time.

Kind of good and bad. I feel sorry for men if they get it alot though because they must experience it quite often unrequited if that's the case.

There's a poster on boards that calls me Cuddlesworth, I wanted to change my name to that but you already had it.

So I have an irrational dislike for you already :P

ah love the serendipity of username humor :)

There's a poster on boards that calls me Cuddlesworth, I wanted to change my name to that but you already had it.

Change your name to "I hate cuddlesworth" :)

Change your name to "I hate cuddlesworth" :)

Ha! Good idea, sorry Cuddlesworth, but you have my name!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Wide Load wrote: »
    Every morning on the bus.

The driver's a hottie?:)

Ouch. Name change to Cuddlesworthless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

If I ever get divorced can I send you a PM? Keep my options open like...

Great.. I suppose that means I'll have to get divorced too....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I used to have that quite a bit in secondary school with straight guys. The awkward part was at its most here and there was, for me, the most intense sexual energy here.

From college on it was out with the straights and in with the gays where for the first while it was a similar level of sexuality intensity but as time went on my deep crushes were more all-encompassing of the person, to the extent where now my deep crush would be more akin to my bestest friend from afar (i.e. following on twitter) then in person I find myself trying to be just a good companion but am usually given to the characteristic awkwardness you describe, with an inability not to blush, a fight or flight response and / or the regular unintentional glances in the person's direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Very few times but I love it, it's like you are a child again. It's much more to do with personality than looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Just the once, with the wife. Who is looking over my shoulder as I type

Very few times but I love it, it's like you are a child again. It's much more to do with personality than looks.

yea and what's really weird is, you kind of end up acting extremely seductive without even trying like it is happening naturally and you keep ending up in these awkward situations of silence with one another!

And if you end up in close proximity of the other person then you can literally feel a spark or a kind of weak, dazed feeling that you can sense the other person feels too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Twice,even though I know it was mutual it never took off.......beginning's are delicate times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Most days during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Any time I see an attractive woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

yea and what's really weird is, you kind of end up acting extremely seductive without even trying like it is happening naturally and you keep ending up in these awkward situations of silence with one another!

:):)

It used to turn me into a gaping moron, stuttering over my words, mis-using phrases, rendered useless on simple tasks that I otherwise could do with my eyes closed, trying to walk away non-chalantly and walking straight into glass doors etc...

What's most fascinating is the physiological response you can have. Like you'd actually find yourself preening yourself, subconsciously playing with your hair or licking your lips, standing taller, giggling like a school girl.

I remember at one point my ridey colleague stopped by with a question about a particular production system I was using, and I launch into "well the BREAST way to do it is...". He started laughing and I nearly blushed myself into a heart attack.

Ah there's nothing like an aul dose of sexual tension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

I experienced this once. I marched into The Gingerman on Fenian Street for a pint after work. This wasn't something I'd usually do. I just wanted a few pints of stout and a few hours of silent musings.
    The pub was fairly busy, so it must have been a Friday. I sat down and ordered a pint. I glanced at the girl sitting next to me at the bar. She was reading The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. Just sitting there not giving a ****. Reading one of the funniest and most insightful books ever written.
    She was a beautiful redhead. Pale delph skin, long ringlets of her dark red/auburn hair floating off her shoulders. The type of stunning beauty so maligned in popular culture as a 'ginger'. Utterly unique.

I spoke about the book. I was already smitten. I probably said stupid ****. We talked for hours. I walked her home and thought about her the entire journey back to my apartment. We went out for 3 years after that.

It didn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Once in college. I was in a relationship, she was in a relationship but after about 6 months we couldn't stand it any longer and we succumbed to our animal instincts and humped like rabbits all night long. it happened a few times more in the following months but we both stayed with our respective partners and simply lost touch after college. I often wonder where she is now.

A woman I lived with from Carlow. I made her a poem on the spot, in the kitchen of our Dublin house-share. It was called 'Cathy', like her name. But she just kept smoking her cigarette & eating chips & laughing peculiarly in all the wrong places. For context, this was about 3am and we were both very drunk and (unsurprisingly) never had sex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement