Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in Orlando?Carribean In September?

Options
  • 20-02-2015 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the weather in Orlando/Carribean in September?

Mixed reports of torrential rain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

There is - but it's tropical in nature, so you usually get thunderstorms/rain around 2pm in the afternoon that clears up by 5 or 6. You pretty much need to plan for it every day and work out where you'll be - whenever I've been in Jamaica or Miami at this time I'm either in the hotel or mall and wait for it to pass.

The only thing about this though is the humidity and high tempretures are a killer and make it an unpleasant time to be in Florida - better kept for fall/winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Afternoon thunderstorms /high humidity oh and it's hurricane season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Afternoon thunderstorms /high humidity oh and it's hurricane season.

Yep. Make sure you have VERY good travel insurance if you go to that part of the world from late July to late September.

+1 on the afternoon thunderstorms. You can almost set your watch by them. So you'll need a back up plan of where to go and what to do when the heavens open up, as it is pretty much a given that they will, sometime between 2pm and 5pm. They don't last all that long though...one minute you'll have brilliant blue skies, then the sky will darken quite suddenly, big clouds will appear, it'll rain cats and dogs for 20-30 minutes, you'll think the world is ending, but then 30 minutes later, it will all be over and the sky will be blue again.... rinse and repeat pretty much every day. But the rain rarely lasts all day, the way it does here during the summer, unless you are unlucky to be there when a tropical storm is a'brewin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep. Make sure you have VERY good travel insurance if you go to that part of the world from late July to late September.

+1 on the afternoon thunderstorms. You can almost set your watch by them. So you'll need a back up plan of where to go and what to do when the heavens open up, as it is pretty much a given that they will, sometime between 2pm and 5pm. They don't last all that long though...one minute you'll have brilliant blue skies, then the sky will darken quite suddenly, big clouds will appear, it'll rain cats and dogs for 20-30 minutes, you'll think the world is ending, but then 30 minutes later, it will all be over and the sky will be blue again.... rinse and repeat pretty much every day. But the rain rarely lasts all day, the way it does here during the summer, unless you are unlucky to be there when a tropical storm is a'brewin.

When I got the quote they mentioned they will arrange alternate dates/refund if it's not possible to travel. The plan was for a few nights in Orlando followed by a week long cruise. We will be travelling with two seniors and a toddler so the prospect of being hotel/ship bound after shelling out for a big holiday is a bit of a worry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd still take out separate travel insurance if I were you. If delays/cancellations happen due to bad weather, airlines based out of the US, don't give the same compensation/redress that EU based airlines do. If a bad tropical storm hits when you are already there, millions of people will be affected by it. They will all need alternative accommodation and/or flights. It won't be just you. Even with the best will in the world, alternative hotel rooms & flights may be hard to find by someone back in Ireland. You may have to sort out your own arrangements and get compensated for it later. I don't mean to scare you, but September is peak tropical storm season. The storms will happen. It is just a matter of when and where.

I wouldn't worry about the cruise part of it. Cruise ships have very high tech radar systems. If trouble is brewing along your original itinerary, they will just take the boat somewhere else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement