Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio presenters real name thread

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Blaise Bambury

This post has been deleted.

Might also be for ..ahem...tax avoidance issues ..though probably not !

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Rick O'shea - Paul Crossan, Chris Barry - Ciaran Gaffney, Colm Hayes - Colm Caffery. Larry Gogan - Lorcan Gogan, Ruth Scott- Mary McDonagh, Simon Young - Thomas Meade, Martin King - Martin Boyle, Nikki Hayes- Eimear O' Keeffe, Bob Conway - Martin Cullinan. Dusty Rhodes-Ivan Nolan.

Am I the only person on here who finds this somewhat an invasion of privacy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Am I the only person on here who finds this somewhat an invasion of privacy?
    I'd feel the same if my name were Mary McDonagh… Poor Ruth!

In fairness, if their names are published here, I'd imagine they're already in the public domain.

Plus, this is a small island, after all. Changing your name will probably draw even more attention to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yuri Checkov

I am sure the tax man/Social welfare is taking notes.

As for an invasion of privacy, if these people have nothing to hide then why are they using false names?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

I am sure the tax man/Social welfare is taking notes.

As for an invasion of privacy, if these people have nothing to hide then why are they using false names?

I am sure they would like to have their privacy when they are finished tthe workday. Especially when it comes to doing normal run of the mill, everyday things... Like sitting in a doctors surgery and having the comfort of being like everyone else in the room and not in the public eye.

If these presenters choose to use false names, why is it anyone elses business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭real rocker

I am sure they would like to have their privacy when they are finished tthe workday. Especially when it comes to doing normal run of the mill, everyday things... Like sitting in a doctors surgery and having the comfort of being like everyone else in the room and not in the public eye.

If these presenters choose to use false names, why is it anyone elses business?

The Lonely One is correct in regard to it being the business of the presenters as to the name used. In some cases of course names were assigned by the original radio serviced they were engaged by meaning that a change to another name would have made their previous work pretty anonymous. Other name changers probably figured that a name change brought increased coolness to their craft. Horses for courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I'd say for official use, probably used their own names, like passports i assume & going to the doctors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 A Teddy bear

I recently found out on Facebook that Tim Kelly's real name is Brendan Dowling 😳😳😳

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Andy Preston = Ian Moore (I think)

I think he's actually Andy Preston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I think he's actually Andy Preston.

He’s not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Terry Wogan= Sir Terry Wogan.....:rolleyes:

It's Sir Terence Wogan to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Musicman288

Damn someone mentioned that already

Post edited by Musicman288 on

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭chilloutrelax

I always wonder what name people in the studio/offices use when off air etc.

Stage name or real name…?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Musicman288

Yes even when the names on Atlantic 252 got very stupid like Hollywood Haze etc, you had the staff refering to the guy off air as "Hollywood" cringe 🤮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

According to his LinkedIn profile DJ Wax's real name is Oyewale Adeba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

Funny about Ruth Scott. I was convinced that was her actual name. I remember her entering a schools competition in 2FM years ago, DJ the a day and winning as Ruth Scott. Simpler times of course but I assumed she was still in school so wouldn’t be really getting into the series jock thing of changing your name. I was well aware Dusty Rhodes & Robin Banks weren’t real names but Ruth Scott seemed so run off the mill I duu I don’t bat an eyelid. In retrospect she might not have won as Mary McDonagh.

• Mary McDonagh is full of long vowels and takes ages to enunciate, imparted to the short quick monosyllables of Ruth Scott, a totally unremarkable yet neat name .

Advertisement