Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canyon Owners Headset Info!

• 20-02-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

I have some good news for those with Canyon roadbikes. I managed to source the top bearing that pressfits into the frame for use with the ACROS headset unit. The guys in E. Fox Engineering in Baldonnel Industrial park ordered some in for me this week. I took two bearings and would recommend that folk limit themselves to two, so those in need can get their hands on at least one! For anyone unfortunate enough to miss out - the staff in E. Fox will happily order some more in if there is demand. For the record the part number is 61707.

That's the good news. Unfortunately for me and maybe soon for you, I have some bad news. My ACROS unit is broken! Let me explain.... So I went ahead and replaced the bearing, no bother. When placing the ACROS unit back on the bike and attempting to adjust for bearing tightness, I noticed the metal housing for the little grub screw had started to unwind itself, effectively eating through the plastic and rotating with the grub screw when torqued with the small tool supplied.

I emphasis that I have only adjusted that grub screw once or twice a year and its been over a year since I last removed the whole headset. The ACROS headset SHOULD NOT FAIL! I have made this perfectly clear in an email to Canyon today.

I hope Canyon do not conflate the worn bearing with the ACROS failure. They are independent of each other. The ACROS unit is simply poor quality if the grub screw and its housing can just fail like that.

So there. On the one hand I thought I saved myself a fortune replacing a simple bearing but Canyon find a way...... Maybe it is a consumable part but it just seems mad. The bike will do me for the moment until replacement but I won't be venturing up or downhill for a little while yet!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

jeez gone are the days of simply replacing a headset!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

I wonder could the acros headset be changed for a standard headset for a tapered steerer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I have some good news for those with Canyon roadbikes. I managed to source the top bearing that pressfits into the frame for use with the ACROS headset unit. The guys in E. Fox Engineering in Baldonnel Industrial park ordered some in for me this week. I took two bearings and would recommend that folk limit themselves to two, so those in need can get their hands on at least one! For anyone unfortunate enough to miss out - the staff in E. Fox will happily order some more in if there is demand. For the record the part number is 61707.

That's the good news. Unfortunately for me and maybe soon for you, I have some bad news. My ACROS unit is broken! Let me explain.... So I went ahead and replaced the bearing, no bother. When placing the ACROS unit back on the bike and attempting to adjust for bearing tightness, I noticed the metal housing for the little grub screw had started to unwind itself, effectively eating through the plastic and rotating with the grub screw when torqued with the small tool supplied.

I emphasis that I have only adjusted that grub screw once or twice a year and its been over a year since I last removed the whole headset. The ACROS headset SHOULD NOT FAIL! I have made this perfectly clear in an email to Canyon today.

I hope Canyon do not conflate the worn bearing with the ACROS failure. They are independent of each other. The ACROS unit is simply poor quality if the grub screw and its housing can just fail like that.

So there. On the one hand I thought I saved myself a fortune replacing a simple bearing but Canyon find a way...... Maybe it is a consumable part but it just seems mad. The bike will do me for the moment until replacement but I won't be venturing up or downhill for a little while yet!

I'm wondering why you only replaced/ordered the top bearing? How come the bottom bearing didn't need replacing? Was there much of a saving getting the bearing in Ireland?

I must get me one of those. I got a Canyon last year. I only used it until autumn, it's away for the winter at the mo. Mine still has under 3K KMS on it so the headset is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Canyon got back to me today and said they will replace the ACROS headset free of charge! Some good news for once.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Looks like I'll need some new bearings, despite only replacing them in September. I've never attempted anything like this before, but from what you say I just get on to E. Fox Engineering in Baldonnel and order part number 61707? How many would I need for top and bottom pressfits? If you don't mind me asking, how much am I looking at?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Just to point out, E Fox arent the only ones doing those bearings, and they tend to be expensive. Reliance bearings in JFK, and Rotate in Glasnevin Industrial estate also do them.

NSK are a good Japanese manufacturer. If you can get SKF even better. Amazon have a generic brand for about 6.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

I have no idea what I'm looking / asking for, so if someone has experience dealing with exactly what I'm after it's just easier for me to follow their lead!

Advertisement