Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scratchy

• 20-02-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

HI we have a little dwarf robiovski hamster he's a little over two years old and a very tame handled often cherished pet..recentely I've noticed the back of his neck become 'patchy' and his ears a bit flaky and chewed looking..I try to keep him amused and stimulated with different objects so a couple of weeks ago I put a pine cone in to his box..In now suspect it may have had mites or something in it that's caused his patchy neck and ears..I've removed and cleaned his area a couple of times but he's still scratching and shaking his head now and then..its it likely to be mites? Is it treatable at home ? Or could it be something else altogether?..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It is indeed most likely mites, Maudi - he's at the age where the immune system is in decline so the little buggers gain a foothold. You can treat them with selamectin - Stronghold spot-on. I can't stress this enough, though - the amount you need is truly tiny. Also, robos are super fast! So in this case, it is something I would ask the vet to do for you, rather than try yourself and overdose him. Selamectin is prescription-only anyhoo.

The selamectin, plus cleaning out his cage and washing everything in a gentle disinfectant should do the trick; you may need to repeat the treatment - the vet will advise you on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Thanks boomerang..when we got him first he indeed was like greased lightening..now he's happy enough to climb into my palm when put out for him..what age do they live to approx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

He is right up there in terms of life expectancy, so you are doing a top notch job! If you are near Bairbre O' Malley the exotics vet in Bray, that's where I'd take him. I wish I could say you could give him the spot-on yourself but I honestly wouldn't risk it.

boomerang wrote: »
    He is right up there in terms of life expectancy, so you are doing a top notch job! If you are near Bairbre O' Malley the exotics vet in Bray, that's where I'd take him. I wish I could say you could give him the spot-on yourself but I honestly wouldn't risk it.

Mites was confirmed by Kilcoole vets..have treatment (drops) poor divil. ..fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hope he's doing ok. Those little guys are so adorable.

• Advertisement

Hope he's doing ok. Those little guys are so adorable.

Hasn't gotten any worse...it will take a few weeks apparently.at least he's sleeping better..He was awake constantly I suppose with agitation. .and yes they are very cute..He will hop into my open palm if I put it down for him.but if my wife does the same he bites ..im afraid he also nips the kids.

Advertisement