Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young Irishman wins SPFL goal of the month!

• 20-02-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

I'm sure some of you will have heard of young Jay Beatty, the Irish lad with Downs Syndrome who struck up a great friendship with Georgios Samaras.

Well, when Celtic played Hamilton in January Hamilton invited Jay over a guest of honour. At half time he went into the pitch and scored a goal much to his delight and delight of the Celtic fans who chanted his name.

In the official match report Hamilton added Jay's goal to the scoreline as if he had officially scored. The SPFL fantastically got in on the story and put his goal forward for the SPFL Goal of the Month for January. It was announced this morning that Jay won 97% of the vote and is the official Goal of the Month for January.

Watch his reaction as he finds out he's won.

Although I'm sure some folk will be cynical about this story please just revel in the lovely story behind it.

Congrats Jay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Great story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Name and shame the 3%! How could you vote against him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

What a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wasn't that great a goal tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

scudzilla wrote: »

Looking at the other goals in the spl that month it was the best,great by the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Not sure how I feel about this

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fair play to all involved, a beautiful gesture.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

That would bring a tear to the eye. Jay and Samaras, what a pair of absolute heroes.

Great to see :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Brilliant. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He only won because he's Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

efb wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about this

If you're still in two minds then just have a look at the kids reaction to winning it.

I'd take that over an overpaid professional footballer any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm sure some of you will have heard of young Jay Beatty, the Irish lad with Downs Syndrome who struck up a great friendship with Georgios Samaras.

Well, when Celtic played Hamilton in January Hamilton invited Jay over a guest of honour. At half time he went into the pitch and scored a goal much to his delight and delight of the Celtic fans who chanted his name.

In the official match report Hamilton added Jay's goal to the scoreline as if he had officially scored. The SPFL fantastically got in on the story and put his goal forward for the SPFL Goal of the Month for January. It was announced this morning that Jay won 97% of the vote and is the official Goal of the Month for January.

Watch his reaction as he finds out he's won.

Although I'm sure some folk will be cynical about this story please just revel in the lovely story behind it.

Congrats Jay!

You would want to someone heartless bastard to be cynical about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

3 thanks for this rubbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

theres the 3% right there.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    You would want to someone heartless bastard to be cynical about this.

See above.

told the wife watching those 3 videos in a row will warm her heart......result :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    If you're still in two minds then just have a look at the kids reaction to winning it.

I'd take that over an overpaid professional footballer any day of the week.

Yes it did - It's heartwarming. Should be have been given a separate award?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is a sort of patronising tokenism that goes pretty much totally against what best practice is in terms of helping kids like this live the fullest life possible.

As an isolated sorry I can see how people could find it heart warming etc but it's pretty misguided and not something I'd like to see really.

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is a sort of patronising tokenism that goes pretty much totally against what best practice is in terms of helping kids like this live the fullest life possible.

As an isolated sorry I can see how people could find it heart warming etc but it's pretty misguided and not something I'd like to see really.

This is why I'm split

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

They're essentially pranking the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

They're essentially pranking the child.
    No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

fcuk the "best practice" textbook bull**** the kid scored a goal in front of thousands of fans something most of us will never experience

let him have his day

Jesus ****ing Christ. It's the goal of the month, it's not like there's anyone materially losing out on anything for the kid getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

does this pile the pressure on FIFA to award it the World Goal of the Year 2015 ?

I do wonder about this award , while it's nice , wouldn't like it to become a regular thing

JPA wrote: »
    3 thanks for this rubbish?

5 now.

Because it was funny.

He hasn't disrespected the kid or his condition, or even the decision, he merely introduced a small bit of levity.

fcuk the "best practice" textbook bull**** the kid scored a goal in front of thousands of fans something most of us will never experience

let him have his day

Why exactly did he get to score a goal in front of thousands, for the record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ah man, in a world full of sh1te and angst, this story is amazing, I love it and don't give a crap what the begrudgers say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ah man, in a world full of sh1te and angst, this story is amazing, I love it and don't give a crap what the begrudgers say.

Well said that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

How anyone can put a negative slant on this is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Because his family adore him and try to give him the best life that they possibly can.

He built up a friendship with Neil Lennon and Georgios Samaras and it's snowballed from there to scoring a goal in front of thousands and having his name being chanted by the crowd.

For those who say it's not 'best practice' etc..., Jay sure looks like he's having untold fun in all the clips I see of him.

Should it become a regular event? I don't mean this particular kid, but where fans with difficulties who are ardent football fans are invited to score a goal that is awarded Goal of the Month?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Should it become a regular event? I don't mean this particular kid, but where fans with difficulties who are ardent football fans are invited to score a goal that is awarded Goal of the Month?

Why not? An opportunity for clubs to make a young kids dream come true.

Its not like the goal of the month competition means much to players or fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Problems really start when there are a few of them in the same month.

Seriously though, it is a little bit patronizing, let's give you this award because you're in bad health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm a cynical whingy f*cker most of the time.

This is one of the best things I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Nice gesture, no way should it become the norm.

• Advertisement

This. It's lovely because it's so out of the ordinary.

People who haven't a clue not having a clue shouldn't come as a surprise I suppose, apologies to everyone whose fuzzy feeling I disturbed.

CSF wrote: »
    This. It's lovely because it's so out of the ordinary.

But does the child involved know that it's tokenism or out of the ordinary?

It's done for his or her benefit, not so we can feel good about ourselves.

So why not do it all the time? Why deny others the opportunity?

But does the child involved know that it's tokenism or out of the ordinary?

It's done for his or her benefit, not so we can feel good about ourselves.

So why not do it all the time? Why deny others the opportunity?

Why was goal of the month introduced at all? Giving someone a run for 30 mins would make them delighted. hell I'd love a goal of the month award. It is ok that we arent all superstars. I've spent a lot of time around dwons kids for various reasons, the most independent ones are those who were treated as closely to normal/regular (whatever non offensive word you want) as possible.

Who are the others btw? All kids, all kids who support sooccer, disabled kids, disabled kids who support soccer?

Because his family adore him and try to give him the best life that they possibly can.

He built up a friendship with Neil Lennon and Georgios Samaras and it's snowballed from there to scoring a goal in front of thousands and having his name being chanted by the crowd.

For those who say it's not 'best practice' etc..., Jay sure looks like he's having untold fun in all the clips I see of him.

That isn't the reason, it's because he's into soccer and got to know one of the players. Plently, nearly all, kids are in the same boat as the bolded part.

Second bit is fine. and while the 3rd is ok in this instance i think it wouldnt be best practice to have it as the standard.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why does it matter?

Because having downs wouldnt justify it, it's because he was a fan and friendly with one of the players, which is fine and does make it OK, imo.

Why was goal of the month introduced at all? Giving someone a run for 30 mins would make them delighted. hell I'd love a goal of the month award. It is ok that we arent all superstars. I've spent a lot of time around dwons kids for various reasons, the most independent ones are those who were treated as closely to normal/regular (whatever non offensive word you want) as possible.

Who are the others btw? All kids, all kids who support sooccer, disabled kids, disabled kids who support soccer?

I'm not sure about the point in the first paragraph. When you say that those who fare best are those who are treated as normally as possible are you criticising this gesture?

As for the second paragraph, I didn't say "the others". I said others.

I'm not sure about the point in the first paragraph. When you say that those who fare best are those who are treated as normally as possible are you criticising this gesture?

As for the second paragraph, I didn't say "the others". I said others.

No, but he's into the team and knew one of the player.

And the other point is just dodging the question, who are these others that would be denied the opportunity? You referred to them, gimme an example.

No, but he's into the team and knew one of the player.

And the other point is just dodging the question, who are these others that would be denied the opportunity? You referred to them, gimme an example.

You know the reason this was done was not because he was into the team and knew one player.

Other people eg. anyone for whom this gesture might be made.

Because having downs wouldnt justify it, it's because he was a fan and friendly with one of the players, which is fine and does make it OK, imo.

It's all 3 really. If you took out any 1 of the 3 elements it wouldn't have happened.

I really don't see the big deal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

delighted for him - who cares if there were better goals scored , thats not the point - it was a once off which made it special - and rightly so , fair play to Neil Lennon handing over his medal too - lovely story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Loved the celebration :) Good man Jay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How can people put a negative spin on this. The little fella is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thebaz wrote: »
    who cares if there were better goals scored.

Some guy that lumped on the better one the bookies (if theres a market for it) might.

Surely theyd have voided and returned any money placed?

Some guy that lumped on the better one the bookies (if theres a market for it) might.

Surely theyd have voided and returned any money placed?

Not really, if you're lumping on anything you should be aware of what you're lumping on. Wouldn't have taken a genius to know he was gonna win the vote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement