Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price to paint a small bungalow interior?

Options
  • 20-02-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

What would be the cost to prep and paint the interior of a 2 bed, 700 sq ft bungalow. Walls, ceilings and all woodwork (doors included) Price to include paint. Existing condition grubby but by no means raggedy.

Approx how long would it take too?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

What would be the cost to prep and paint the interior of a 2 bed, 700 sq ft bungalow. Walls, ceilings and all woodwork (doors included) Price to include paint. Existing condition grubby but by no means raggedy.

Approx how long would it take too?

Thanks

*bump*

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Off the Top of my head 3 weeks labour + maybe 400 in materials ??

BryanF wrote: »

Thanks Bryan

Any idea of a fair labour day rate ex VAT assuming Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

BryanF wrote:

3 weeks are we talking about painting it or building it.more like 3 or four days at between 150 and 200 per day would be more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Approx €800-€1000 labour and about €300-€400 in material. Obviously dole cheats and people on the black market may undercut proper tradesmans prices.
    Should take 5-7 days depending on colours and paint finish etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Allow €6.90/m2 for 1 under coat and 1 topcoat.

4.50/m for architraves and skirtings etc.

Includes standard dulux paint. Color trend add 1.50 extra

cronin_j wrote: »
    Allow €6.90/m2 for 1 under coat and 1 topcoat.

4.50/m for architraves and skirtings etc.

Includes standard dulux paint. Color trend add 1.50 extra

100 linear metres of walls x 3m high on average would make that €2070

80m of door architraves + 80m skirting + say 40m for 4 x sash windows + 90m for 6 x 4 panel doors both sides = 290m = €1300

Ceilings at 70 sqm = €500

Giving a total of approx €3000 without the ColourTrend.

You a painter cronin_j?

Big Davey wrote: »
    Approx €800-€1000 labour and about €300-€400 in material. Obviously dole cheats and people on the black market may undercut proper tradesmans prices.
    Should take 5-7 days depending on colours and paint finish etc

I'd be looking for a VAT receipt on it

What you you reckon on yours vs. cronin_j's estimating .. given the gulf between the two?

Whilst I've no desire to pay more than need be, I don't want to undercut so much as to impact negatively on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The going rate in Donabate right now is c 300 a room plus material so I think cronin is on the money as as your calcs therefrom

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

100 linear metres of walls x 3m high on average would make that €2070

80m of door architraves + 80m skirting + say 40m for 4 x sash windows + 90m for 6 x 4 panel doors both sides = 290m = €1300

Ceilings at 70 sqm = €500

Giving a total of approx €3000 without the ColourTrend.

You a painter cronin_j?

Nope. A QS. 3m high walls? Is it a really old bungalow? Standard floor to ceiling is 2.4m. Each door had 5.1m of architrave each side.

• Advertisement

cronin_j wrote: »
    Nope. A QS. 3m high walls? Is it a really old bungalow? Standard floor to ceiling is 2.4m. Each door had 5.1m of architrave each side.

Thanks for that - do you charge VAT on free advice? :)

It's got some high ceilings in the original bit and normal height in the extension bit.

Some of the existing paintwork is on the darker side and we want to end up with light. Should we budget for 3 coats in those parts?

What's the situation with freshly skimmed plaster - is it 3 coats there too. Some sections will have fresh skim coat finish.

Is the cost for architraves/skirting for 2 coats? If merely refreshing the paint would a single coat work there?

Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

I would be of the opinion that Mr Cronin advice is correct if it were a new build ie: raw woodwork, fresh plaster etc etc
    The rough price I have quoted is for a standard re dec
    What you are describing is somewhere between the two with your higher ceings and fresh plaster, darker colours etc and your price should be somewhere between the two.
    I was a painter for 20 years and while I have not worked at it for some time I am still in contact with people who do.
    BUT
    If the going rate is now €3k for what you have described I will be back on the brush as of Monday morning :-)

Thanks for that - do you charge VAT on free advice? :)

It's got some high ceilings in the original bit and normal height in the extension bit.

Some of the existing paintwork is on the darker side and we want to end up with light. Should we budget for 3 coats in those parts?

What's the situation with freshly skimmed plaster - is it 3 coats there too. Some sections will have fresh skim coat finish.

Is the cost for architraves/skirting for 2 coats? If merely refreshing the paint would a single coat work there?

Cheers..

Big Davey wrote: »
    I would be of the opinion that Mr Cronin advice is correct if it were a new build ie: raw woodwork, fresh plaster etc etc
    The rough price I have quoted is for a standard re dec
    What you are describing is somewhere between the two with your higher ceings and fresh plaster, darker colours etc and your price should be somewhere between the two.
    I was a painter for 20 years and while I have not worked at it for some time I am still in contact with people who do.
    BUT
    If the going rate is now €3k for what you have described I will be back on the brush as of Monday morning :-)

Thanks v. much for the clarification. Enough advice to be guided by - thanks all.

Advertisement