Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Dublin

Options
  • 20-02-2015 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi, I got a new job in Dublin and so am looking for idea's on where to live, I would like to pay as little as possible for rent, somewhere to park my car, I need somewhere that has good transport links to the city as I will be using the bus, luas or train to get to work, I want to stay as close to the city as possible. all idea's welcome.

I will be working around Grafton street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What is your budget? Do you want a house or apartment? Do you want to live by yourself or share with others? A little bit more info would be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What is your budget? Do you want a house or apartment? Do you want to live by yourself or share with others? A little bit more info would be helpful.

100-120, house or apartment, i want to share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You won't get close to the city for that, and may have to get closer to the county boundaries if you want parking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Dublin City with parking will be closer to 300-400 a week.
    Try along the Luas lines.

CianRyan wrote: »

yeah, really it will be the suburbs, but which ones?

• Advertisement

yeah, really it will be the suburbs, but which ones?

Tallaght, Kingswood, Drimnagh, Walkinstown, Crumlin...

Check for rent around UCD, DCU and the likes, may find students sharing, hopefully mature ones.

Where are you coming from, may be cheaper to park and ride of its not a huge pain.
    Remember, public transport in Dublin could be an hour or more travel anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

If you're working by grafton street start looking in areas on the green luas line, windy arbour, Dundrum, sandyford, etc

(I presume your price figure is per week)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

For 400 quid a month, I wouldn't be hopeful of finding something with parking along the southern Dart line or the green Luas line. They are the most expensive parts of the city to live in. With that budget, I'd be looking more at the north side or west side suburbs & just get one of the many buses that go into town. Some of them terminate in town, but a lot of them go over to the southside 'burbs and stop off close to the Grafton St area.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    For 400 quid a month, I wouldn't be hopeful of finding something with parking along the southern Dart line or the green Luas line. They are the most expensive parts of the city to live in. With that budget, I'd be looking more at the north side or west side suburbs & just get one of the many buses that go into town. Some of them terminate in town, but a lot of them go over to the southside 'burbs and stop off close to the Grafton St area.

If he was looking for his own place I'd agree but he's looking to share, plenty of rooms in sharehouses for 500 a month between Rathmines and Stillorgan.

nm wrote: »
    If you're working by grafton street start looking in areas on the green luas line, windy arbour, Dundrum, sandyford, etc

(I presume your price figure is per week)

yes 100-120 a week.

• Advertisement

any more ideas?

yes 100-120 a week.

Dundrum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Killinarden, Jobstown would be an option

There are nicer areas of Tallaght in his price range, closer too the LUAS with more bus routes. It wouldn't make sense to recommend Jobstown or that end given what he's after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Killinarden, Jobstown would be an option

Absolute kips, no need for the op to even give them a second though with his budget.

Absolute kips, no need for the op to even give them a second though with his budget.

Didn't wanna be so blunt but yeah.
    Councils houses and gangs, used to work around there and hated it, I'm from Old Bawn so I'm hardly a posh **** either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

14/15/27 buses all go along the Malahide Road and close to Grafton Street, so all the Malahide Road suburbs are an option - Marino, Donnycarney, Artane etc. all with plenty of house shares within the OP's budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

East wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mickster29

Hi
    I dont want to hijack this thread but I have a single room in Drumcondra on daft.ie at 85 euro per week and bills included. Its on the 123 bus route. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

There are some reasonable prices to be gotten in D7/D8 if you look around. I've lived in the liberties (Meath St), Smithfield and Stoneybatter in the last few years for around your price range. Nice and close to town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

D5 on the dart line, Raheny, Kilbarrack - have a bit of a reputation which is mostly bollocks. As with everywhere in Dublin though you can cross some magic divide and end up in a hellhole. Visit wherever you plan to live a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

CianRyan wrote: »

Whaat? I haven't been househunting for a while, but I pay the equivalent of €200 per week for an apartment in Dublin 6 (€40 x 30 days = €1200/month)

That includes parking, but even city parking can be as low as €4 per month with a residential permit.

Here's some nice apartments that cost even less than mine, in good locations

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/marlay-view-ballinteer-dublin/1528435/
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/17-st-james-court-mount-brown-kilmainham-dublin/1523890/
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/wellinton-lodge-serpentine-avenue-sandymount-dublin/1525330/
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/parkgate-place-parkgate-street-dublin-8-dublin/1529118/

I'm not saying they're cheap, but you can easily live in nice areas, or in walking-distance from the city in a nice apartment, for a fraction of the cost suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Saipanne wrote: »
    East wall?

Always a good option although rents may be creeping above the OP's budget

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

conorh91 wrote: »
    Whaat? I haven't been househunting for a while, but I pay the equivalent of €200 per week for an apartment in Dublin 6 (€40 x 30 days = €1200/month)

That includes parking, but even city parking can be as low as €4 per month with a residential permit.

Here's some nice apartments that cost even less than mine, in good locations

I'm not saying they're cheap, but you can easily live in nice areas, or in walking-distance from the city in a nice apartment, for a fraction of the cost suggested above.

His budget is 500 a month - those are at least double that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

His budget is 500 a month - those are at least double that.
    I was responding to a different poster.

But to keep it relevant, on the OP's budget he could easily find a nice apartment-share or house-share in a good area. Here are some well below his budget.

http://www.daft.ie/sharing/lennox-street-portobello-dublin/808901/
    http://www.daft.ie/sharing/mt-argus-cresent-harolds-cross-dublin/808333/

And if the OP is gay and wants to live in Ballsbridge, he won't do better than this:pac::pac:
    http://www.daft.ie/sharing/shelbourne-road-ballsbridge-dublin/808146/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

And a smoker.

Refreshingly honest and upfront ad. I bet thats a cracking house to live in on it's good days!

keep the suggestions coming, and thanks for the ones already received.

Advertisement