Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing to Wales?

• 20-02-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

I'm hoping to travel from Dublin to Edinburgh in a few weeks time without spending a penny. I've heard several reports that the Dublin-Holyhead ferry is very difficult to hitch-hike onto and so have been looking at wangling my way onto a non-commercial boat. Does anyone here know if boats regularly make the trip over to Wales and what marina might be the best bet to try and get a lift from? (I'll be leaving on a Friday afternoon if that makes any difference).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

You'll do well to get to Edinburgh for free. Never heard of hitchhiking a ferry or boat. How would you even go about it? Are you going to ask the captain or sneak on? If you get caught at the other side with no documents you will be deported no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wrong time of year to be trying to hitch a lift on a yacht, unless you're very very lucky.

If that's what you're angling at with "non-commercial boat".

Is this a student dare thing, or are you just broke and chancing your arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cillian95

@HeidiHeidi I'm just chancing my arm because a few friends of mine are having a ceilidh and I've missed my chance to buy cheap Ryanair flights over. I read that a couple had managed to hitch over from Holyhead to Dublin by asking around at the marina so I figured that maybe a private yacht or fishing boat or something might be heading over to Holyhead from Dublin.

@ComfortKid I think that the best way to hitch onto a ferry is to try and hitch a lift with a car that is boarding the ferry. A lot of ferries charge per car regardless of the number of people in the car so it can be simple enough if you find a nice person who's willing to bring you onto the ferry in their car. It adds no extra cost to them and saves you a fortune. I think that the Dublin-Holyhead charges per person in the car though, so that makes it more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

You get get a return ticket to Edinburgh on Eurolines for €75.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Foot passenger on a ferry is quite cheap.

When I was a student, we did the day return to Holyhead for something like a tenner. Fun day out actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You're aware Edinburgh is in Scotland right?

Advertisement