Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is somebody tampering with the water meters, or official people?

Options
  • 20-02-2015 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I have no clue where to put this, or title it.
    We had the water meters installed outside our houses in our estate late last year. I can't remember when, roughly September/October.

Today I arrived home to the Orange barriers again outside my house, similar to the ones in THIS PICTURE, three of them in a triangular shape. 'Coras' printed on them'

Long story short, about 30 minutes later a wine van pulled up and three guys got out.
    One went to the barriers outside my house and started smoothing the cement outside. I looked down the road and a few other houses also being done.
    They didn't look anything like water meter installers. they were wearing hoodie tops and the van was an old banger.
    They did not look anything at all like the GUYS IN THESE PICTURES.

They have left a board over where they cemented, and the orange barriers in place. I presume they'l be back tomorrow to collect them.

Does anyone have any idea who these are, and what they're doing?
    Would they be robbing the water meters, or tampering with them? Seems like a lot of effort for the latter, but I also wouldn't be aware of whether or not there would be a market for pulled water meters.

Or, am I just jumping to conclusions? Are they installing something else? They seem to be doing my whole road, so I'm sure they've been seen by others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

If you wanted clarification you could try contacting irish water, or it maybe a long shot but if you have the notice that most installers put through doors before they installed meters, contractor details should be on it.

Irish Water Applications 1890 448 448

Alternative number 01 707 2824

Lines are open from 8am – 8pm, 7 days a week.

Irish Water – main Contact number 1890 278 278

Alternative 01 707 2828 (24 hours a day 7 days a week)

Email -: customerservice@water.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

denis160 wrote: »
    If you wanted clarification you could try contacting irish water, or it maybe a long shot but if you have the notice that most installers put through doors before they installed meters, contractor details should be on it.

I tried contacting them today when I saw them, I guess it was too late on a Friday. I was hoping to catch them coming back tomorrow, but I would've preferred some sort of confirmation either way before I go out to them.

Allyall wrote: »
    I tried contacting them today when I saw them, I guess it was too late on a Friday. I was hoping to catch them coming back tomorrow, but I would've preferred some sort of confirmation either way before I go out to them.

If they're legit I wouldn't think they'ld have a problem with you approaching them to find out what's going on. I just posted numbers above, could you try one of them tomorrow?

http://coras.ie

They instal water meters so maybe they're legit?

http://coras.ie

They instal water meters so maybe they're legit?

Or they robbed the barriers ;).

I'll be going out to them tomorrow, if they don't just grab the barriers and leave too early in the morning.
    I've a feeling they're not legit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Why should you care either way ? they are on a public pathway and you have no ownership of these as it's not on your property.

I live in swords myself, and when they dug up the pathway outside of our property they only created the foundation and cemented the area for the water meter. There is no water meter installed in any of these, so maybe the folks you saw were the one's that only install the meter as this is what they do months later when the foundation is created.

IW install the meter a few months after the drilling and cementing is done, so this is probably what you saw.

Why should you care either way ?

I have no idea what effect removing the water meter outside my house might have on my house.

Does it control the water in any way?
    If the charges come in, will I get billed extra because they're not getting an accurate reading?

If they're not legit, and are robbing the meters, I don't want scumbags hanging around outside my house breaking up the pavement to rob stuff. If they're that desperate, God knows what they saw in my house when I wasn't there if they called in.
    they are on a public pathway and you have no ownership of these as it's not on your property.

I live in swords myself, and when they dug up the pathway outside of our property they only created the foundation and cemented the area for the water meter. There is no water meter installed in any of these, so maybe the folks you saw where the one's that only install the meter as this is what they do months later when the foundation is created.

IW install the meter a few months after the drilling and cementing is done, so this is probably what you saw.

They definitely installed the meters a while ago, so they must have done that other part earlier in the year. They had all the correct machinery and called into the house to tell us etc..

Plus, it seems a bit weird that three men would arrive without any paperwork or notices coming in my door, and no marked vehicles etc.. And be working on the whole road/possibly estate by themselves.

Coras printed on them

Like I said already, it takes them months or possibly even a year to come back and install the main meter.

You would only know if they installed the meter before when they finished if you opened the hard plastic circular plate-cap, if no meter was installed all you would see is a big white bucket all on it's lonesome.

I reckon 'Coras' came in an unmarked van just to install the meter itself and as such didn't want Irish Water splattered all over the van. Stealth-mode I'd say they came in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

What are you raving about. They dig up, install the meters and cement over in the same day. Might have been different in your case but everywhere else it's a one day job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I'd say that the guys that arrived today were subcontractors whose job was to finish off concreting around the meter boxes that had been installed previously by the main contractor.

• Advertisement

ComfortKid wrote: »
    What are you raving about. They dig up, install the meters and cement over in the same day. Might have been different in your case but everywhere else it's a one day job!

That is incorrect in most cases.

They cement around the area of the meter, they do not install the meter in most cases for months after.

Have a look in a few days when they take the barriers away and cement is fully dried. Open the cap and look in and you will know. It's just a hard plastic cap, no lock, nothing else as it just pops off.

Not always the case, more often than not the meter is installed while they're working in that immediate area, the plumber follows behind the digging etc.

Not always the case, more often than not the meter is installed while they're working in that immediate area, the plumber follows behind the digging etc.

The plumber has to be there at all times to set the pipes up for connection many months down the road. Look I know how it works and most places don't have the meter installed yet and probably won't for a good while.

You won't know for sure till you look yourself.

You don't want to be saying that your water meter was stolen when you don't even know whether it was installed in the first place. All I can tell you is that they do not put the meters in for a long time after the construction of the area is done.

You don't want to be saying that your water meter was stolen when you don't even know whether it was installed in the first place. All I can tell you is that they do not put the meters in for a long time after the construction of the area is done.

How do you "know" this? My meter is in the ground from the 1st and only day they arrived. And as far as I know it is in every other house in my area. I've seen plenty videos and pics of the actual meters in other countys aswell. Can you back that statement up? Not saying you're lien but I haven't heard or seen this before

Did you see the meter being put in personally ?.

All I can say to you is to look for yourself to be sure it is installed. If it is installed then grand, but for a lot of others it is not. Best thing to do is have a look.

We'll have to agree to disagree on your knowledge of how the meters are installed! Maybe contractors do things differently. Our meter is definitely in & was installed when the contractors were in our estate that week not months later. Also the contractor does not get paid his full rate until the box & meter are installed. Can't see too many of them waiting months for that!

Yes my actual meter is in there. It took them about 6 hours to do the whole process. They came back the next morning to take the barriers. I dont think you "know how this works". Anyway, back to the OP. Go out in the morning or Mon morning and ask to see some ID or certificate. They have to have one. Any genuine contrater will be more than happy to show you. Sounds dodgy.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Yes my actual meter is in there. It took them about 6 hours to do the whole process. They came back the next morning to take the barriers. I dont think you "know how this works". Anyway, back to the OP. Go out in the morning or Mon morning and ask to see some ID or certificate. They have to have one. Any genuine contrater will be more than happy to show you. Sounds dodgy.

Really :) I know very well what I'm talking about.

Most I have seen have the white cylindrical bucket installed like the pic below but no meter...

MI-Irish-Water-meter-install.jpg

Really :) I know very well what I'm talking about.

Most I have seen have the white cylindrical bucket installed like the pic below but no meter...
    [PIC]

That picture also shows a Hi-Viz jacket that none of the guys were wearing.
    Also, they didn't have this van.
    20140331_0929511-300x168.jpg

I doubt very much that they were on a 'stealth mission' as was mentioned earlier. The estate in question wasn't very troublesome for them the first time around.

I do think it's weird though, the amount that they seem to be doing. If it is theft, they have quite a big operation going for a small group. So it may be legit.
    It just seems something isn't right.
    No hi-viz, or any clothing that looks official.
    No markings on any vehicles.
    No notices telling us that our driveways were going to be unusable for a day or two (or more)
    Nothing mentioned on any of the water websites about where they're working.

Anyway, hopefully I should know either way by midday.

Keep us updated regarding the situation.

I'd find it hard to believe that it was the water meter fairy, as there are a few going around believe it or not, but update if possible when you get more information.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote:
    That picture also shows a Hi-Viz jacket that none of the guys were wearing. Also, they didn't have this van.

If they're not even wearing a hi viz it sounds very dodgy. Any of them I have seen had the hi viz and hardhats on.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Well, they came around this morning at 8:30ish and took all of the orange barriers.
    I opened the meter cap and had a look in, it seems normal (but I wouldn't know). (Click on image for larger).

fdUXG09b.jpg?1

Another weird thing is, that they didn't do all of the meters, not even half. They seemed to have randomly chosen meters along the road and done whatever they were doing, to them. For example, the meter next door to mine (less than 3 feet away), was untouched.

Allyall wrote: »
    Well, they came around this morning at 8:30ish and took all of the orange barriers.
    I opened the meter cap and had a look in, it seems normal (but I wouldn't know). (Click on image for larger).

fdUXG09b.jpg?1

Another weird thing is, that they didn't do all of the meters, not even half. They seemed to have randomly chosen meters along the road and done whatever they were doing, to them. For example, the meter next door to mine (less than 3 feet away), was untouched.

There is definitely a meter in that one, I can see it clearly. Well at least you know you have one installed, so should it get robbed or taken out you will know straight away. It doesn't make sense though for them to only install the odd meter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Were they not the guys who level the cement around the meters where it's needed?
    Our house is relatively new but on a road of older houses, so we already had a water meter which the builders installed. I went out to tell one of the workmen and he said the cement around it didn't look level enough and he said that his crew don't do the cement, that it would be done afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Were they not the guys who level the cement around the meters where it's needed?
    Our house is relatively new but on a road of older houses, so we already had a water meter which the builders installed. I went out to tell one of the workmen and he said the cement around it didn't look level enough and he said that his crew don't do the cement, that it would be done afterwards.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

At last someone using some sense!

http://www.water.ie/help-centre/questions-and-answers/what-happens-after-installation/
    Where we’ve installed a meter box, we will restore the excavated area to a similar condition. This is an essential part of the work, and again, we will try whenever possible, to keep disruption to a minimum. This ground repair work might initially be temporary. We will complete permanent reinstatement typically within three working days but within a maximum of ten working days.

Probability is ground settling even more and council want it sorting

For anyone thinking that they are stealing water meters the sudden outpouring of water would give you a clue

That makes much more sense alright.
    I hadn't noticed any unevenness around it, it seemed fine to me, but someone else must've thought there was a possible future problem.

Haven't seen them anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Bingo !
    That's what I had said earlier.

Advertisement