Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defence forces : A wider ceremonial role ?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Negative_G wrote: »
    With any hope next years cermony will be left to the full time soldiers who can devote the appropriate amount of time required, hopefully negating any repeat of today.

I think it's completely appropriate for the RDF to have a central role in next year's ceremony, after all, those who took part in the Rising in 1916 were volunteers.

But only if there's enough interest from them to get the numbers and devote the required time to perfecting their drill, otherwise leave it in the hands of the PDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thanks, Reggie, I had completely forgotten about that. Please remind me how it went?

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

tac foley wrote: »
    Thanks, Reggie, I had completely forgotten about that. Please remind me how it went?

tac

Went fine except for the sinn fein crowd shouting abuse to everyone but we had a good laugh at they're expense

Sorry to hear that not everybody there appreciated the gravity of the occasion.

My grandad was just one of the Irishmen who never came home again.

tac

Sorry to hear that not everybody there appreciated the gravity of the occasion.

My grandad was just one of the Irishmen who never came home again.

tac
    Talk of British troops being involved in next year's ceremonies

• Advertisement

I'm not even going down that line of 'maybe'.

tac

I'm not even going down that line of 'maybe'.

tac

It stemmed from something the queen stated on her visit I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I know from experience of past various GOH that you can be told any of the following 3 things if a wrong command is given. It should have been agreed which action to carry out before hand.

1. Carry out the move as rehearsed.
    2. Carry out the move that was ordered.
    3. Stand fast on the wrong command, wait for the officer to cop on and give the correct command.

This most likely (well should have been) said to all troops that were part of the parade today. PDF / RDF it's irrelevant, bad drill is bad drill. Murphys Law and all that but feck.

I feel sorry for the troops on parade. It's not a nice thing to have been part of.

I'm told the RDF lads had rehearsed for about six weeks, and were under instructions to carry out the move as rehearsed in the event if a wrong order. The PDF lads had only joined them a day or two before and had been told to stand fast if wrong order issued.

Somebody made an assumption...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

ectoraige wrote: »
    I'm told the RDF lads had rehearsed for about six weeks, and were under instructions to carry out the move as rehearsed in the event if a wrong order. The PDF lads had only joined them a day or two before and had been told to stand fast if wrong order issued.

Somebody made an assumption...

Typical lack of communication. Hopefully lessons learned for next year.

Typical lack of communication. Hopefully lessons learned for next year.

They would want to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 TONY09

Reggie. wrote: »
    Irish and British troops were on the same parade at the unveiling of the WW1 memorial in glasnevin cemetery last year

And the WOCs were given in Irish and was carried out very smartly.

Of course - the British military presence was in the form of a guest appearance - the language of the host nation takes precedence.

I must look on YT and see if it was recorded anyplace.

tac

Of course - the British military presence was in the form of a guest appearance - the language of the host nation takes precedence.

I must look on YT and see if it was recorded anyplace.

tac

There was a Sgt Mjr, ceremonial Sgt and two corporals I believe and a few high ranking military officers as guests if my memory serves me correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Melodeon

British military ceremonial on display on BBC1 at the moment; VE Day memorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

If you go to any European capital you see the militaries of the said countries performing a full time ceremonial role at places/buildings of significance.

Except in Ireland.

It would be nice to see the army and air corps having this role in a few designated places, good for tourists too. Also raise the profile.

The country dosnt need jingoistic nonsense.

Advertisement