Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(International) Guess the Location (see rules post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

boardspic7_zpspjs5nysb.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

I dont think it's dry enough - I'd guess somewhere in asia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Austria

No
    cabla wrote: »
    I dont think it's dry enough - I'd guess somewhere in asia

No
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    Austria

Austria is correct

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Thames Town in China?

They should have made the buildings a little wonky to look more authentic.

When did they build that gigantic tower ?

BTW are a fair few people around here overseas or just plain hypochondriacs ?

Edit:

Sorry I meant insomniacs. :o

I am not allowed discuss …

Vienna it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Germany?

• Advertisement

Europe?

Is it in Western Europe?

OK, well that rules out a lot of the countries I thought it might be. Is it in a Germanic-speaking country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

UK?

Luxembourg

• Advertisement

Pont Adolphe in Luxembourg.

I can't post links so if anyone else would like to fire away, that would be great

Great guess Yoghurt, I'll do the duties for you :).

Pitch.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Nou camp?

No, not the Nou Camp.

Sorry, but that's just crap, putting up something like that. It could be absolutely anywhere in the planet. No wonder peoples interest in the thread is dropping off.

I'm out.

I can assure you it is very much NOT just anywhere on the planet, if you got the city or probably even just the country then it'd be your next guess. It is a very very famous place, one of the main "tourist" spots of the city its in and I would be very surprised if you've never seen it before and absolutely shocked if you haven't heard of it. If you don't like the picture grand, don't play, but then most of us don't know about statues in Peru or bridges in Luxembourg so there's no need to throw your toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Wembley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Melwood?

Not Wembley. Whilst the photo itself may seem obscure (I had to block out the stands as it would've been obvious had I left them in) once you have the city or even the country its really very very very easy. So, as a tip, I would say narrow it down by city or better country first.

Final clue: If you've followed this thread and you have garnered any information about me then it is unbelievably easy. Take it in context, not just on its own.

Oh and a word game of sorts to help... Think outside the box of the following... Crazy International Loves It... and I've basically given it away.

Extra points for getting the exact significance of the word game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Celtic Park?

Very Bored
    thanks very much for this.
    A few people complained about my Aussie pic a few weeks back.
    Some long timers around here said it could be a bridge anywhere and wasn't very descriptive.
    But it was narrowed down to Oz reasonably quickly.
    Granted the bridge wasn't as destinct or descriptive as my usual ones.
    After that I made sure not to be so vague with other pics.

But yours is a whole other level. :)

There needs to be something, anything in the picture to start a search with.
    Fuzzy goalposts and a patch of grass
    Really ???

It is a picture guess not a words guess.
    I know you are over in puzzels forum and that is where this belongs.

You complain about statues in South America that you don't know about it.
    That is the challenge.
    At least you can look up pictures of statues.
    Ever look up a picture of a stadium ?
    They usually include the stands.

I have never been to India and never want to go, but I still found a pic of a gate in a fortress in some smaller city there.
    And I learned a bit along the way.
    So far all of the pics I have put up have been of places I have been to, but I can still try and guess places I have never been and probably never will be.

As for your clues, crazy international could be almost anyone.
    For a start Suarez, Zlatan, Higuita come to mind.

For the hell of it I would guess it is Italy what with your love it.

But no single stadium in that country stands out.

Very Bored wrote: »
    I can assure you it is very much NOT just anywhere on the planet, if you got the city or probably even just the country then it'd be your next guess. It is a very very famous place, one of the main "tourist" spots of the city its in and I would be very surprised if you've never seen it before and absolutely shocked if you haven't heard of it. If you don't like the picture grand, don't play, but then most of us don't know about statues in Peru or bridges in Luxembourg so there's no need to throw your toys out of the pram.

It's a picture of some grass, in a stadium, so yes, it could be anywhere on the planet. If it's a "famous place" then that narrows it down to 70-100 countries, then we just need to get the city.

I've no doubt heard of it, but there isn't a single clue in that to tell us where it might be, absolutely nothing, not even some potential colours of the club(s) that play there, that's why its pointless.

Trying to give clues like
    Crazy International Loves It
    after a few minutes means nothing as well.

You can't argue that that is a reasonable photo, it's one of the reasons why I don't really look in to this thread anymore and a lot of others have given up on it. No, I'm not throwing toys out of the pram, I'm just getting p1ssed off that a good thread is being run into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Perhaps a reasonable way to judge if a picture is appropriate for this thread is to ask before you post it, is there anything in the picture that provides clues to others to guess where it is more quickly than without the picture; ie. "I'm thinking of a big church, now ask me questions to narrow it down."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza?

josip wrote: »
    Perhaps a reasonable way to judge if a picture is appropriate for this thread is to ask before you post it, is there anything in the picture that provides clues to others to guess where it is more quickly than without the picture; ie. "I'm thinking of a big church, now ask me questions to narrow it down."

Sure that changes the game completely. Pic is needed. So far majority of pics have been sufficient enough to go on with some sort of detail showing to give an idea of general direction.

GBX wrote: »
    Sure that changes the game completely. Pic is needed. So far majority of pics have been sufficient enough to go on with some sort of detail showing to give an idea of general direction.

Sorry if my post was not clear. I'm not suggesting to change the game.
    I'm saying that if the picture is vague, then we might as well post
    "I'm thinking of somewhere, now everybody guess where it is"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Heysel stadium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

jmayo wrote: »
    Very Bored
    thanks very much for this.
    A few people complained about my Aussie pic a few weeks back.
    Some long timers around here said it could be a bridge anywhere and wasn't very descriptive.
    But it was narrowed down to Oz reasonably quickly.
    Granted the bridge wasn't as destinct or descriptive as my usual ones.
    After that I made sure not to be so vague with other pics.

But yours is a whole other level. :)

There needs to be something, anything in the picture to start a search with.
    Fuzzy goalposts and a patch of grass
    Really ???

It is a picture guess not a words guess.
    I know you are over in puzzels forum and that is where this belongs.

You complain about statues in South America that you don't know about it.
    That is the challenge.
    At least you can look up pictures of statues.
    Ever look up a picture of a stadium ?
    They usually include the stands.

I have never been to India and never want to go, but I still found a pic of a gate in a fortress in some smaller city there.
    And I learned a bit along the way.
    So far all of the pics I have put up have been of places I have been to, but I can still try and guess places I have never been and probably never will be.

As for your clues, crazy international could be almost anyone.
    For a start Suarez, Zlatan, Higuita come to mind.

For the hell of it I would guess it is Italy what with your love it.

But no single stadium in that country stands out.

I agree. There must be something in the picture that gives a clue as to the location. It could be the type of architecture, landscape, car types (most pictures have come from street view), a blurry sign in the background etc. Otherwise the thread becomes a list of random country guesses, followed by random city guesses until someone hits on the answer by a process of elimination. If it's a tough one and people are struggling then the OP can give some clues to help out but it's primarily a picture game, not a word puzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Europe ?

Well we can be sure it's not Qatar.

And to prove just how vvveeerrryyy hard it was, Morpork guessed it within ten or twenty posts. I will be sure to post pictures of the Eiffel Tower next time just to make it obvious enough though. Somehow I think Stadio Giuseppe Meazza is ever so slightly more famous than some statue of a bloke on a horse in an obscure South American capital city or a bridge in a miniscule European republic. If instead of complaining people had at least made a stab at the country it would have been narrowed down quickly enough and to say that no stadium in Italy springs to mind is ridiculous. Its amongst the top five most famous stadia in the world. Crazy International Loves It, translated into Italian is Pazza Inter Amala, the anthem of one of the clubs (my team, actually) that plays there. Someone with an idea of football may well know that and International should be a giveaway. And to the user who says to only post pictures of places you've been to, I have been there more times than I can remember. Whilst I admit that it wasn't easy I think it is incredibly unfair to say it was unreasonable when other recent posts have included far more obscure places. As I said, my next one will be the Eiffel Tower just so its narrowed down enough, maybe after that the Colisseum.

very bored i dont think you're getting the point.

that stadium may be famous but there was nothing in the picture to suggest it was that stadium, it would have just as easy to find if you'd posted no picture at all.

And to prove just how vvveeerrryyy hard it was, Morpork guessed it within ten or twenty posts. I will be sure to post pictures of the Eiffel Tower next time just to make it obvious enough though. Somehow I think Stadio Giuseppe Meazza is ever so slightly more famous than some statue of a bloke on a horse in an obscure South American capital city or a bridge in a miniscule European republic. If instead of complaining people had at least made a stab at the country it would have been narrowed down quickly enough and to say that no stadium in Italy springs to mind is ridiculous. Its amongst the top five most famous stadia in the world. Crazy International Loves It, translated into Italian is Pazza Inter Amala, the anthem of one of the clubs (my team, actually) that plays there. Someone with an idea of football may well know that and International should be a giveaway. And to the user who says to only post pictures of places you've been to, I have been there more times than I can remember. Whilst I admit that it wasn't easy I think it is incredibly unfair to say it was unreasonable when other recent posts have included far more obscure places. As I said, my next one will be the Eiffel Tower just so its narrowed down enough, maybe after that the Colisseum.

Not everyone is into football. Not everybody would associate an anagram to a song related to a team in Italian as a clue!
    I have never been to a stadium in Italy. The picture was so vague though. I've an idea of certain stadiums but the pic doesnt show any of the stadium - it actually looks like the small park in front of my house - Same colour grass as thats all it shows :rolleyes:

Somehow I think Stadio Giuseppe Meazza is ever so slightly more famous than some statue of a bloke on a horse in an obscure South American capital city or a bridge in a miniscule European republic. If instead of complaining people had at least made a stab at the country it would have been narrowed down quickly enough and to say that no stadium in Italy springs to mind is ridiculous.

Yeah right. I at least guessed a country which goes against your own clue about a country with unique standout stadium.
    The country is full of stadia and not every Seria A/B fan is an Inter or Milan fan.
    What about if someone was a Parma fan like me or a Genoa, Roma, Lazio, Juve, Torino, Sampdoria, Bari, Napoli fan ?

Most of those teams have massive reasonably well known stadiums you know.

If I think of Italian soccer the San Siro is not the automatic thought.
    Actually I might think of Stadio delle Alpi for Juventus or Olympic Stadium in Rome.

And all of us don't bloody well speak Italian nevermind know the fans songs.
    Someone with an idea of football may well know that and International should be a giveaway. And to the user who says to only post pictures of places you've been to, I have been there more times than I can remember. Whilst I admit that it wasn't easy I think it is incredibly unfair to say it was unreasonable when other recent posts have included far more obscure places. As I said, my next one will be the Eiffel Tower just so its narrowed down enough, maybe after that the Colisseum.

Please stop tryint to justify it.

Here is as good a picture as your one.
    Now try and figure it out.

352522.jpg

Ok, I understand where people are coming from. I do, however, think people are overreacting and being hypocritical. Most of us have never been to Peru, nor South America, there was absolutely nothing which suggested where that picture was. In fact, were it not for Paddington Bear, I probably would never have heard of Peru. It could have been anywhere in the world. That place in China looked more like Chester than anywhere in the Far East. Luxembourg? Come on. Its more than a bit disappointing. I could have left the stands in but because of the colour pattern it would have been very obvious. Look, I'll stay out of this thread from now on to satisfy everyone. Lets move on from this discussion and have someone post a new picture.

anyways..

Morpork you're up next. And it better be good, i've my lynching jacket all dusted off i'm raring to go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement